Window 8 RTM defragger

As market leaders Perfectdisk and Diskeeper haven't released Windows 8 compatible versions of their defrag software yet I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations, as I cant seem to find anything paid or otherwise that works with windows 8 at this point.

As market leaders Perfectdisk and Diskeeper haven't released Windows 8 compatible versions of their defrag software yet I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations, as I cant seem to find anything paid or otherwise that works with windows 8 at this point.

I use this free one. http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

Just remember if you are using windows 8 with an SSD, you don't want to defrag SSD's.

http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

Piriform makes some great products, defraggler has been updated to support windows 8

I've actually stayed with the included defragmenter - and I used to use Diskeeper with Windows 7.

The *why* is simple - Disk Optimizer (the Windows 8 defragmenter) is not only improved over the desk defragmenter in 7, it's even improved over Diskeeper Pro Premier (what I'd used with Windows 7).

It's the only free multi-pass defragmenter, first off.

It's the only multi-pass defragmenter that is entirely graphical - no text mode at all.

It's the only multi-pass defragmenter that does NOT require a reboot.

It's still written by Condusiv (the same folks that used to be Diskeeper Corporation) - and it's still part of the operating system.

I've been loyal to Diskeeper since 1999 - however, Disk Optimizer in Windows 8 has effectively mooted it.

I've actually stayed with the included defragmenter - and I used to use Diskeeper with Windows 7.

The *why* is simple - Disk Optimizer (the Windows 8 defragmenter) is not only improved over the desk defragmenter in 7, it's even improved over Diskeeper Pro Premier (what I'd used with Windows 7).

It's the only multi-pass defragmenter that is entirely graphical - no text mode at all.

It's still written by Condusiv (the same folks that used to be Diskeeper Corporation) - and it's still part of the operating system.

I've been loyal to Diskeeper since 1999 - however, Disk Optimizer in Windows 8 has effectively mooted it.

This is what I thought as well but never looked into it that much. It seems the built in option has been improved quite a bit over it's Windows 7 counterpart. I also don't see a reason to use something else, I use the built in defragger in Win7 as well.

I think I am just going to have to go with the native defragger, not that I've ever seen any bad press regarding the quality of Condusiv Diskeeper but as this Wikipedia page isn't disputed by Condusiv I would normally boycott their software if it wasn't already part of Windows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condusiv_Technologies

"Founder

While studying electrical engineering at Northwestern University in 1968, Craig Jensen took a night job as a computer operator to learn about computers. He went on to develop advanced operating systems for early technology pioneer Applied Data Research, and in 1974 moved to Data General Corporation. He founded Executive Software International in 1981, he says, "with an early personal computer and a box of file folders in his kitchen in Hollywood." Mr. Jensen stepped down as CEO in 2009.

He is the author of The Craft of Computer Programming (New York: Warner Books, 1985) ISBN 978-0-446-38147-5.

Craig Jensen, is a member of the Church of Scientology and a member of the World Institute of Scientology Enterprises (WISE), an international membership organization whose members use the management technology of L. Ron Hubbard, founder of the Church of Scientology. He has stated that his employees are schooled in Hubbard's management technology,[6] with courses that include Effective Leadership, Executives and Ethics, Executive Basics and Management by Statistics.[7] Jensen attributes much of his success in business to the use of this technology, saying "I attribute [our] success directly to the management technology developed by L. Ron Hubbard. Simply put, I couldn't have done it without his help." [7]

In 1991, the company (back then Executive Software) denied Ciba-Geigy technical support for the VAX version of Diskeeper after learning that Ciba-Geigy makes Ritalin, a drug opposed by scientologists[8] (see also Scientology and psychiatry)."

As for the other suggestions I checked them all and none are officially compatible with W8 and I want that for intelligent features similar to 'Smart Placement' in Perfectdisk.

Thanks Anyway...

Why not just use the built in one?

I'd go one step further... why bother at all - why bother even thinking about this - when the built in one runs automatically on a schedule :p

• Like 1

I'd go one step further... why bother at all - why bother even thinking about this - when the built in one runs automatically on a schedule :p

Exactly, Automatic Maintenance in Windows 8 works very well indeed, defragmentation being the one thing it takes care a lot better than its Windows 7 predecessor. In fact, it seems more effective than Degraggler. Even better is that it recognizes SSDs and optimizes them. Things like maintaining your PC, installing security bundles / antivirus etc should go away with Windows 8. It is all automatic and the in-built systems are rather good.

In general, most win7 defraggers should work in win8, though I don't really see the need for a third party program when the OS does it.

I've run the built in one on Windows 7 and Windows 8... and when it says 0% or 1% fragmented, I can go run a 3rd party, like Defraggler and the map shows it is 30+% fragmented... so I'm not sure how to explain that, since they all use the windows API to defrag. Anyone got an answer for that?

And side note, the built in one is set by default for 3AM on Wednesday I believe, and most people suspend or shut down their systems. I think Windows 8 just now will unsuspend the system at that time by default, but Windows 7 did not.

I've run the built in one on Windows 7 and Windows 8... and when it says 0% or 1% fragmented, I can go run a 3rd party, like Defraggler and the map shows it is 30+% fragmented... so I'm not sure how to explain that, since they all use the windows API to defrag. Anyone got an answer for that?

I would not be surprised in the slightest if the fragmentation percentage is falsely inflated to make you think it's being detected better so you'll use their software

Personally, I've been using Auslogics Disk Defrag for about 3 years now. I stopped using Diskeeper when I learned

the CEO of the company was/is a hardcore Scientologist. I hope you paid nothing towards your use of Diskeeper,

due to it's links with an evil, money grabbing, brain washing cult, that masquerades as a "religion" . . .

And side note, the built in one is set by default for 3AM on Wednesday I believe, and most people suspend or shut down their systems. I think Windows 8 just now will unsuspend the system at that time by default, but Windows 7 did not.

Because defraggler only places the files sequentially and if they aren't it says you're fragmented. Even thou sequentially isn't the optimal placement. Other tools, like the superior built in one, will use far more parameters, like the places on the disk that's fastest to seek and read, and what files are most often read and what files are most often read after each other. This makes it seem fragmented to an ancient basic defragmenter. Or any other defragmenter who uses a slightly different algorithm.

Just let the built in one run as scheduled. You're not going to see better performance on any others anyway. Heck the difference between a good and a bad one isn't unmeasurable. At most you could see a difference on a huge database server, but due to the nature of a databse not really since they handle that themselves internally.

• Like 2

The built-in defragmenter (well, "optimizer" in Windows 8) disregards any file fragments which exceed 64 MB. I believe the other third party defragmenters insist on making files continguous regardless of how large the fragments are.

About the API, I think they only use that to safely move files, not to enforce a common algorithm for defragmentation.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/01/25/disk-defragmentation-background-and-engineering-the-windows-7-improvements.aspx

I think I am just going to have to go with the native defragger, not that I've ever seen any bad press regarding the quality of Condusiv Diskeeper but as this Wikipedia page isn't disputed by Condusiv I would normally boycott their software if it wasn't already part of Windows.

http://en.wikipedia....iv_Technologies

"Founder

While studying electrical engineering at Northwestern University in 1968, Craig Jensen took a night job as a computer operator to learn about computers. He went on to develop advanced operating systems for early technology pioneer Applied Data Research, and in 1974 moved to Data General Corporation. He founded Executive Software International in 1981, he says, "with an early personal computer and a box of file folders in his kitchen in Hollywood." Mr. Jensen stepped down as CEO in 2009.

He is the author of The Craft of Computer Programming (New York: Warner Books, 1985) ISBN 978-0-446-38147-5.

Craig Jensen, is a member of the Church of Scientology and a member of the World Institute of Scientology Enterprises (WISE), an international membership organization whose members use the management technology of L. Ron Hubbard, founder of the Church of Scientology. He has stated that his employees are schooled in Hubbard's management technology,[6] with courses that include Effective Leadership, Executives and Ethics, Executive Basics and Management by Statistics.[7] Jensen attributes much of his success in business to the use of this technology, saying "I attribute [our] success directly to the management technology developed by L. Ron Hubbard. Simply put, I couldn't have done it without his help." [7]

In 1991, the company (back then Executive Software) denied Ciba-Geigy technical support for the VAX version of Diskeeper after learning that Ciba-Geigy makes Ritalin, a drug opposed by scientologists[8] (see also Scientology and psychiatry)."

As for the other suggestions I checked them all and none are officially compatible with W8 and I want that for intelligent features similar to 'Smart Placement' in Perfectdisk.

Thanks Anyway...

So, in short, you want to boycott Condusiv because it was founded by a Scientologist?

It sounds like someone boycotting the Equitable Life Assurance Company of the United States because it was founded by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (the Mormons). (Yes - that is absolutely true.)

That makes about as much sense as boycotting Sikh-owned businesses because Sikhs own them - basically, none whatever.

So, in short, you want to boycott Condusiv because it was founded by a Scientologist?

It sounds like someone boycotting the Equitable Life Assurance Company of the United States because it was founded by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (the Mormons). (Yes - that is absolutely true.)

That makes about as much sense as boycotting Sikh-owned businesses because Sikhs own them - basically, none whatever.

It's this line that makes the difference "He has stated that his employees are schooled in Hubbard's management technology,"

I was going to say that I have no problem with any organisation that has moved on from questionable beginnings and then link to some Scientology pages to remind people of just what they are all about.

But then I remembered that I don't have a problem with Mormonism or Sikhism as they aren't glorified pyramid schemes that employ extreme brainwashing techniques to extract money for their "cause."

Ron Hubbard was actually quite open about his intentions once saying "You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion."