win8

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#16 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 02 September 2012 - 17:27

I'd go one step further... why bother at all - why bother even thinking about this - when the built in one runs automatically on a schedule :p

I've run the built in one on Windows 7 and Windows 8... and when it says 0% or 1% fragmented, I can go run a 3rd party, like Defraggler and the map shows it is 30+% fragmented... so I'm not sure how to explain that, since they all use the windows API to defrag. Anyone got an answer for that?

And side note, the built in one is set by default for 3AM on Wednesday I believe, and most people suspend or shut down their systems. I think Windows 8 just now will unsuspend the system at that time by default, but Windows 7 did not.

#17 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 02 September 2012 - 17:31

I've run the built in one on Windows 7 and Windows 8... and when it says 0% or 1% fragmented, I can go run a 3rd party, like Defraggler and the map shows it is 30+% fragmented... so I'm not sure how to explain that, since they all use the windows API to defrag. Anyone got an answer for that?

I would not be surprised in the slightest if the fragmentation percentage is falsely inflated to make you think it's being detected better so you'll use their software

#18 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 02 September 2012 - 17:33

I use this free one. http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/

Just remember if you are using windows 8 with an SSD, you don't want to defrag SSD's.

+1 my favourite too

#19 DJGM

DJGM

Mancunian

Posted 02 September 2012 - 18:00

I've actually stayed with the included defragmenter - and I used to use Diskeeper with Windows 7.

I've been loyal to Diskeeper since 1999 - however, Disk Optimizer in Windows 8 has effectively mooted it.

Personally, I've been using Auslogics Disk Defrag for about 3 years now. I stopped using Diskeeper when I learned
the CEO of the company was/is a hardcore Scientologist. I hope you paid nothing towards your use of Diskeeper,
due to it's links with an evil, money grabbing, brain washing cult, that masquerades as a "religion" . . .

#20 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 02 September 2012 - 18:25

And side note, the built in one is set by default for 3AM on Wednesday I believe, and most people suspend or shut down their systems. I think Windows 8 just now will unsuspend the system at that time by default, but Windows 7 did not.

Because defraggler only places the files sequentially and if they aren't it says you're fragmented. Even thou sequentially isn't the optimal placement. Other tools, like the superior built in one, will use far more parameters, like the places on the disk that's fastest to seek and read, and what files are most often read and what files are most often read after each other. This makes it seem fragmented to an ancient basic defragmenter. Or any other defragmenter who uses a slightly different algorithm.

Just let the built in one run as scheduled. You're not going to see better performance on any others anyway. Heck the difference between a good and a bad one isn't unmeasurable. At most you could see a difference on a huge database server, but due to the nature of a databse not really since they handle that themselves internally.

#21 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 02 September 2012 - 18:44

The built-in defragmenter (well, "optimizer" in Windows 8) disregards any file fragments which exceed 64 MB. I believe the other third party defragmenters insist on making files continguous regardless of how large the fragments are.

About the API, I think they only use that to safely move files, not to enforce a common algorithm for defragmentation.

http://blogs.msdn.co...provements.aspx

#22 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 02 September 2012 - 18:51

Another vote for the Auslogics defragger here. Very good for a free piece of software.

#23 Roberto Guedes

Roberto Guedes

Neowinian

Posted 02 September 2012 - 19:23

What about TuneUp Utilities?

#24 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 September 2012 - 17:13

I think I am just going to have to go with the native defragger, not that I've ever seen any bad press regarding the quality of Condusiv Diskeeper but as this Wikipedia page isn't disputed by Condusiv I would normally boycott their software if it wasn't already part of Windows.

http://en.wikipedia....iv_Technologies

"Founder

While studying electrical engineering at Northwestern University in 1968, Craig Jensen took a night job as a computer operator to learn about computers. He went on to develop advanced operating systems for early technology pioneer Applied Data Research, and in 1974 moved to Data General Corporation. He founded Executive Software International in 1981, he says, "with an early personal computer and a box of file folders in his kitchen in Hollywood." Mr. Jensen stepped down as CEO in 2009.

He is the author of The Craft of Computer Programming (New York: Warner Books, 1985) ISBN 978-0-446-38147-5.

Craig Jensen, is a member of the Church of Scientology and a member of the World Institute of Scientology Enterprises (WISE), an international membership organization whose members use the management technology of L. Ron Hubbard, founder of the Church of Scientology. He has stated that his employees are schooled in Hubbard's management technology,[6] with courses that include Effective Leadership, Executives and Ethics, Executive Basics and Management by Statistics.[7] Jensen attributes much of his success in business to the use of this technology, saying "I attribute [our] success directly to the management technology developed by L. Ron Hubbard. Simply put, I couldn't have done it without his help." [7]

In 1991, the company (back then Executive Software) denied Ciba-Geigy technical support for the VAX version of Diskeeper after learning that Ciba-Geigy makes Ritalin, a drug opposed by scientologists[8] (see also Scientology and psychiatry)."

As for the other suggestions I checked them all and none are officially compatible with W8 and I want that for intelligent features similar to 'Smart Placement' in Perfectdisk.

Thanks Anyway...

So, in short, you want to boycott Condusiv because it was founded by a Scientologist?

It sounds like someone boycotting the Equitable Life Assurance Company of the United States because it was founded by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (the Mormons). (Yes - that is absolutely true.)

That makes about as much sense as boycotting Sikh-owned businesses because Sikhs own them - basically, none whatever.

#25 OP chillipig

chillipig

Neowinian

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:22

So, in short, you want to boycott Condusiv because it was founded by a Scientologist?

It sounds like someone boycotting the Equitable Life Assurance Company of the United States because it was founded by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (the Mormons). (Yes - that is absolutely true.)

That makes about as much sense as boycotting Sikh-owned businesses because Sikhs own them - basically, none whatever.

It's this line that makes the difference "He has stated that his employees are schooled in Hubbard's management technology,"

I was going to say that I have no problem with any organisation that has moved on from questionable beginnings and then link to some Scientology pages to remind people of just what they are all about.

But then I remembered that I don't have a problem with Mormonism or Sikhism as they aren't glorified pyramid schemes that employ extreme brainwashing techniques to extract money for their "cause."

Ron Hubbard was actually quite open about his intentions once saying "You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion."

#26 Anthonyd

Anthonyd

Neowinian

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:24

What about TuneUp Utilities?

TuneUP ? Whoa are you a time traveler from the 2000's ? :D

#27 Mayhem

Mayhem

Neowinian

Posted 07 September 2012 - 18:31

what about Dskeeper Intelliwrite ?

doesn't that proves to be way better disk performance on the long run ?

#28 Konstantine

Konstantine

Neowinian

Posted 07 September 2012 - 18:45

http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

Piriform makes some great products, defraggler has been updated to support windows 8

Wtf? You probably don't know anything. Defraggler hasnt been updated since May 2012. It doesn't support Windows 8 yet. And you can see it by the fact that when yuo clean install Windows 8 and try to defragment it using Defraggler, it says 3+ GB is fragmented. And the only file is pagefile.sys, which should be in orange and not red, thus, not fragmented. Don't post crap.

#29 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 September 2012 - 18:57

Personally, I've been using Auslogics Disk Defrag for about 3 years now. I stopped using Diskeeper when I learned
the CEO of the company was/is a hardcore Scientologist. I hope you paid nothing towards your use of Diskeeper,
due to it's links with an evil, money grabbing, brain washing cult, that masquerades as a "religion" . . .

i think you would have to stop buying MOST products in the world if you based your purchases on the peoples values/religion that own/run/work at the company

#30 Goalie33

Goalie33

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 07 September 2012 - 19:01

I've been using IOBit's SmartDefrag 2.5 and it's working perfectly.