New Jersey teen sticks head out of party bus, dies

It was a foolish thing to do, but it is still sad. He was someone's son. Of course 90% of the people posting here are too young to have kids of their own. They also forget that teens, especially in large groups, tend to do foolish things to garner the acceptance of their peers/impress the opposite sex.

• Like 2

It was a foolish thing to do, but it is still sad. He was someone's son. Of course 90% of the people posting here are too young to have kids of their own. They also forget that teens, especially in large groups, tend to do foolish things to garner the acceptance of their peers/impress the opposite sex.

Mom always said dont stick your head out of the emergency hatch of a double decker bus while flying down the highway..

Quite a sobering comment followed by one that put a grin on my face. I'm glad I found myself with a smile in the end even though I feel somewhat bad about enjoying the joke :)

I can see that on a single level bus but not on a double decker. If those buses have only drivers, then all kind of stuff can happen on the second level without anyone's knowledge.

Double decker buses here in London have cameras on them so the driver can see what's happening on the upper level.

Your point?

I've done plenty of stupid stuff before, and done one thing that could have certainly killed me. If I had died, I wouldn't want people sympathizing over me just because "I was a teen, it's not my fault". No, it would have certainly been my own fault!

This kid had someone tell him multiple times to NOT do what he was doing. There's not much else that could have been done short of strapping the kid down in a restraining jacket.

Sure it's someone's kid, and it sucks for the parents. But when people are dying of causes they can't control themselves (starvation, war, disease), this seems very unimportant and not tragic at all.

I can see that on a single level bus but not on a double decker. If those buses have only drivers, then all kind of stuff can happen on the second level without anyone's knowledge.

I don't know if it's different in the US but in the UK there is a mirror system that allows the driver to monitor the upstairs area; more modern buses have camera systems. If additional supervision is needed it should be provided by the parents (or the educational facility in the case of a formal event). In this case the bus had a supervisor in addition to the driver so that should have been more than enough; any more than that then they ought to consider refusing them onto the bus.

Requiring a driver and two supervisors for a single bus is beyond excessive.