What consumer operating system(s) will you be running by years end?

What operating system(s) will you be running by years end?  

250 members have voted

1. 1. What will be your MAIN consumer Windows OS?

• Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows XP
    • Windows 2000
    • Windows 9x
  2. 2. I will dual boot with this OS

• Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows XP
    • Windows 2000
    • Windows 9x
    • None. I won't be dual booting.

Only a few votes in but surprised with the # of people going to have W8 as their primary systems. Even more surprised with the # of people not going to dual boot, especially at Neowin. I thought that was almost standard installation start-up procedures anymore but its early in the voting.

I already running Win8 Pro RTM activated (with proper unique MSDN key)

And I already using it with dual booting OSX ML 10.8.1

So for me, this configuration will stay until the year ends (and after that, too).

On my primary system, 8. Most of the other systems in the house will be either 7 or 8, namely "whenever the hell I get around to it". The Windows based servers will eventually all be updated to 2012 as well, current 2008R2, although there's a few BSD based ones as well. One junker tablet will be stuck with XP forever just due to no proper drivers for anything past that (it runs 7, just missing some hardware support), although rarely use it anymore anyway, most likely wind up a victim once the Win 8 devices are available. One desktop system runs BSD just to toy with the latest desktop environments, waiting for one to actually "do it" for me, one is a "Hackintosh" just for giggles. I don't go for dual booting, if the OS in question is lacking something where you need another OS to pick up the slack, that OS just isn't working then.

I'll probably be running Windows 7 for awhile and wait to see how the market adopts to Windows 8. I'll probably upgrade if there are any windows 8 apps that are worth upgrading for. I've been running the release preview so far and am liking it though my only complaint is the switching between Windows 8 apps and the native desktop programs is a little bit confusing for me imo.

I don't go for dual booting, if the OS in question is lacking something where you need another OS to pick up the slack, that OS just isn't working then.

Dual booting is good because you can boot into a functioning OS and repair or do other things when the files are not in use on the other OS.

Windows 7 and windows 9x...... I use windows 9x for games made before 2002 as they seem to work best on the windows 9x kernel.... Plus I like how it still has DOS in it for advanced commandline support

Windows 7 x64 for me, and it won't be in dual boot. Tried Windows 8, didn't like it. Happy with Windows 7 for the time being.

• Like 2

Dual booting is good because you can boot into a functioning OS and repair or do other things when the files are not in use on the other OS.

I have other options for that in case of disaster recovery, but that's a valid point depending on your needs. I was referring to general day-to-day use.

running Windows 7 as primary, not touching 8 outside of work (and there I only use it for the ability to confirm software code/changes will run on 8). On an older pc I have Arch running :D

Win 7 on primary

May upgrade to Win 8 on my HTPC...depending on feedback I see from XBMC and other HTPC users. It isn't touching my desktop or notebook though.

Windows 7 x64, naturally ;)

Win8 just ain't up to par as the interface kills it's initial impression on you and initial impression is a big thing. personally i hope Windows 8 does not take off as then they will be forced into re-thinking the interface and putting it back more inline with something a bit more Windows 7-ish as Windows 8 is too different from the tried and true interface we been using for ages basically.

by years end i will be still using my 6 year old dell laptop running windows7....win8 looks like im going to be buying my first mac and dual booting win7 by spring '13

Already running WIndows 8 RTM. Wiped my Gentoo Linux drive to use for games and stuff in windows 8 so no more dual boot.

If I don't switch to a Mac (I doubt I will, but if Windows Phone 8 disappoints me too much, I will get an iPhone and thus a Mac due to the consistency), my main operating system will definitely be Windows 8 and I won't be dual-booting. Windows 8 is simply brilliant.

Will most likely be running windows 8 (with Start8 cuz it boots straight to desktop). Even though Macs are beautifully designed. i cant see spending $500-$700 more for hardware that is the same in a $500-$700 Dell/HP?Acer/Asus laptop. Plus when i ran a hackintosh i found OSX to be boring and to simplistic. Then again i am a desktop guy. I am somewhat of a power user and a gamer, so i like being able to build my own systems and upgrading my Mobo's, GPU,s and CPU's. so i wont go near an iMac. Plus with the new Nokia 920 and 820 coming out i will be moving to WP8. And what i have been reading that you will be able Integrate your xbox and possibly play your xbox games through your pc without having to switch your source (tv or monitor) or go in your living/family room to play your xbox .