• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#46 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,582 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:05

I installed Windows Vista on my 2007 iMac once. I don't think the poor thing ever truly recovered from being violated like that. After that godawful experience iMac just didn't chime as cheerful as before when starting up. It ended up committing suicide by burning out its Logic Board.

This is how I found iMac after returning home from college:

Attached Images

• iMac RIP.png

#47 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• 12,803 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:09

back in the XP days, which was also when I was learning the most rapidly about computers, I'd reinstall it every half year because I'd have messed something new up with it. Learned a lot though. The worst was that one time I ignored the "don't flash your BIOS when overclocked" warning, and proceeded to erase my BIOS and promptly fail at flashing the update. Mistake #1. Then I proceeded to try to restart the computer hoping that I didn't, in fact, just brick my BIOS, instead of just leaving the running computer on so at least I can still use it. Mistake #2. Fortunately, the BIOS chip was slotted so it ended up costing me $30 to buy a new chip and plug it in. I have gone on to successfully flash various BIOSes without incident, and also stopped overclocking because I figured that stock is more than powerful enough these days for everything I would ever want to do.

#48 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:13

I installed Windows Vista on my 2007 iMac once. I don't think the poor thing ever truly recovered after being violated like that. After that godawful experience iMac just didn't chime as cheerful as before when starting up. It ended up committing suicide by burning out its Logic Board.

I think Vista burned out my logic board too, the one in my brain

#49 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• 2,846 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:14

Overclocking my AMD Athlon 1.1GHz to 3GHz!

#50 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:18

Hmm. I think the time that I accidentally hooked up the power cable for a floppy drive incorrectly. It was a brown box floppy drive, and the pins didn't have the usual housing over them. So when I plugged into the 4-pin connector from the PSU it was somehow 1 pin over to the right. I couldn't see that it was hooked in wrong.

Powered it up and poof the smell of ozone and a very small fire. It didn't kill anything other than the floppy drive & PSU. I replaced both of those and the machine was back up and running.

It shouldn't have happened though. The PSU was supposed to have protection in to prevent exactly that scenario...

#51 Renvy

Renvy

Neowinian

• 273 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:19

Tried to install hackintosh. So I partitioned one empty partition and the other with windows with my school files.
I then accidentally defragmented my windows drive to Mac Os Journal Extended. I lost a lot of important school files which set me a few weeks back.

#52 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:20

Tried to install hackintosh. So I partitioned one empty partition and the other with windows with my school files.
I then accidentally defragmented my windows drive to Mac Os Journal Extended. I lost a lot of important school files which set me a few weeks back.

You mean repartitioned?

#53 Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

Master of Everything

• 1,274 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:31

Forgetting to put the cpu socket guard over the socket before cleaning thermal paste around the edges of the socket. Ended up bending and breaking some of the cpu pins, cost me $200 to replace the motherboard.

#54 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• 2,469 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:32

Almost bricking a Linksys WRT54G-TM Tmobile branded router trying to flash DD-WRT. Turns out the customer's laptop battery was just defunct and luckily Windows gave a battery warning or else it was seconds away from going off mid-flash and I forgot about it yet I MYSELF worked on it hah!

Actually did brick a Netgear WNDR3300 trying to flash an updated DD-WRT. Had it in recovery mode, could've possibly fixed but then turned it off and it was gone forever.

Also, failing to back crap up then wiping a drive (in my main machine) containing 4 or 5yrs of work on my various programs. Now I have another machine that hosts a mercurial install containing all my code. The only code that touches my main machine now is what I'm working on, and even that is checked back in after each change, small or large. Though better than before, I still need to implement something that backs all that code up to somewhere offsite.

#55 Slammers

Slammers

Neowinian

• 1,216 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:32

Nothing too bad really. When I was like 10 I was staying at my parents friends and they had a 486 that wasn't working in the room. Seeing I had been using a 486 at home I though I could fix it haha. I took one look at the back and decided to flick that little red switch on the powersupply (read voltage settings). Turn on, flash, bang (huge fright), smoke, put computer back and and never told anyone ahahahah. Was mortally scared of powersupplys till the age of 13.

#56 Sylar0

Sylar0

Neowinian

• 1,353 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:42

Well while were admitting flaws, I ONCE deleted my personal external HDD had to use recovery software had personal family stuff on it... lucky I got recovery software on it fast got it all back but took 2 weeks to sort again....

#57 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:43

fell for the linux hype and installed gentoo linux and actually used it.

#58 Guest_LiquidCrystalMeth_*

Guest_LiquidCrystalMeth_*

Posted 04 September 2012 - 00:00

After too many hours (18 hours) bathed in the glow of my 3 LCD's at work, i diskpart cleaned the wrong 320Gb HDD

TestDisk to the rescue :)

Thats the worst ive made in 30+ years of tech support, thank god. Seen plenty of really bad mistakes, and a lot of that mysterious blue smoke :)

At least ive never installed Win8

#59 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 00:06

After too many hours (18 hours) bathed in the glow of my 3 LCD's at work, i diskpart cleaned the wrong 320Gb HDD

TestDisk to the rescue :)

Thats the worst ive made in 30+ years of tech support, thank god. Seen plenty of really bad mistakes, and a lot of that mysterious blue smoke :)

I almost formatted a HDD holding every customers restaurant menu designs from a small printers shop once, when I realised what I had just done I pulled the power with an instant sweat appear on my forehead

Luckily slow XP and fast reflexes saved the day

I was not so lucky a few years ago when I was backing up full outlook emails/profiles etc for every machine in head office and somehow managed to not backup the CEO/Boss' outlook before we switched servers/domains... was not a popular boy for a while

#60 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 00:09

Indeed. We wouldn't actually want you to be productive. :shiftyninja: