• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,557 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 20:35

1. Update your technology

If your router, computer and gadgets were made in the last two or three years, they probably support the latest wireless-N standard. If so, make sure your router is set to N-only mode for maximum speed and range. The b/g/n setting - needed to support older devices - will be slower.

If your PC is getting on in years and stuck at wireless-G, consider upgrading to a new model or a new wireless-N card.

Buy a new router if it doesn't support wireless-N. Chances are, it also doesn't support the latest security encryption.

Make sure your computer is running the latest version of its operating system and has the latest driver for your router.

Visit your router manufacturer's website to see if you've missed a firmware upgrade. I bet you have.

2. Find the sweet spot

Routers aren't the best looking gadgets, so your inclination may be to hide them. That's a bad idea because routers are susceptible to overheating and need good airflow.

The devices also perform much better when placed in an open, central location - away from walls and obstructions, such as metal filing cabinets.

If you place a router that has an omnidirectional antenna against an outside wall, it will send half its wireless signal outdoors. That might create a dead spot on the opposite side of your home.

A high location is usually better than a low one, especially if you have a two-story home. If you can, put the router on a high shelf or on top of a cabinet.

3. Change the channel

Like radio stations, wireless routers can broadcast on a number of different channels. When you and half the neighborhood are on the same channel, it causes a lot of static.

This shouldn't be a problem if your router features automatic channel selection. If it doesn't, tune in a channel with less interference. Consult your router's manual for quick assistance in changing router channels.

4. Reduce interference

Another nice thing about having a newer router is that it is probably a dual band. The 5 GHz frequency reduces interference from 2.4 GHz cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors and other common wireless gadgets.

Microwave ovens also emit a very strong signal in the 2.4 GHz band.

Put some extra distance between your router and interfering appliances.

5. Pop open a beer

If you've tried all this and your router still doesn't have enough reach, it's time for the trusty beer-can hack.

This involves cutting a beer or soda can open with a utility knife to make a parabolic antenna out of it. I know, it sounds a little crazy, but this trick can boost your network by two bars or more. It's easy. And I made a fun video to show you exactly how to do it. Watch it now.

Finally, once your home Wi-Fi is humming along again, don’t forget to secure your network. Encryption has little effect on the performance of newer routers.

Why does it matter? If your network is open, neighbors can piggyback on to it to do their Internet surfing - and that will really slow you down. Worse, hackers can exploit your unsecured network and snoop for personal data.

Be sure to use the latest WPA2 encryption and create a strong password.

more

#2 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• 12,808 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:04

1. install dd-wrt/tomato

#3 +Byté

Byté

Neowinian

• 982 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:09

1. install dd-wrt/tomato

Installing dd-wrt will instantly improve signal? :p

#4 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:12

Installing dd-wrt will instantly improve signal? :p

Could do

Posted Image

#5 Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Neowinian Senior

• 6,323 posts
  • OS: Win 8.1 Pro, iOS7, OSX 10.7, Ubuntu/WinXP system Died the Good Death

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:15

N mainly gives the best range if there is nothing blocking the signal, i have to use G as when using N the wall blocks half the signal resulting on only 2-3 bars instead of 5 and random disconnectcs

#6 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:16

N mainly gives the best range if there is nothing blocking the signal, i have to use G as when using N the wall blocks half the signal resulting on only 2-3 bars instead of 5 and random disconnectcs

Why would G have a better range than N through walls ? They can both run @ 2.4GHz

#7 Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Neowinian Senior

• 6,323 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:21

Why would G have a better range than N through walls ? They can both run @ 2.4GHz

because 2.4 isnt True N, True N is 5GHz, the Wave is longer has more trouble getting through walls, the increased ranges os only when using the 5GHz spectrum

*Edit - to be fair, between the wall the router is going through stairs, Hot Water Heater and Central Air Unit

#8 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:25

because 2.4 isnt True N, True N is 5GHz, the Wave is longer has more trouble getting through walls, the increased ranges os only when using the 5GHz spectrum

What is the advantage of 5GHz N if both connect at 300mbps but 2.4GHz can travel further ? More clients can reach full speeds simultaneously ?

#9 Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Neowinian Senior

• 6,323 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:29

What is the advantage of 5GHz N if both connect at 300mbps but 2.4GHz can travel further ? More clients can reach full speeds simultaneously ?

300 is from the 5GHz not 2.4, 2.4 is 54/22 average

but almost all routers now have multiple antenna, so may be little higher,then the 22 average, but 300 is 5GHz only

#10 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:30

300 is from the 5GHz not 2.4, 2.4 is 54/22 average

but almost all routers now have multiple antenna, so may be little higher,then the 22 average, but 300 is 5GHz only

My router is N 2.4GHz and I can connect @ 300mbps with my laptop

G is 54/22

EDIT - Random router

Posted Image

#11 +SOOPRcow

SOOPRcow

Neowinian

• 1,565 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:40

My router is N 2.4GHz and I can connect @ 300mbps with my laptop

G is 54/22

Yeah, but I'm guessing you don't get 300mbps speeds.

#12 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,557 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:43

1. install dd-wrt/tomato

cool -- what is it ? :p

OIC .... But I have D-link routers.

Tomato is meant to be flashed onto your compatible wireless router to replace the stock firmware loaded by the vendor.

#13 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:47

Yeah, but I'm guessing you don't get 300mbps speeds.

I'm not going to get exactly 300mbps obviously, for the same reason G doesn't get 54mbps, but as my router is only 100mbps wired, I have no way to test it, along with the laptop being a pita HP meaning I have to hot swap it after post to bypass the bios whitelist

cool -- what is it ? :p

A small round orange fruit that you can put in your sandwiches ;)

#14 Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Neowinian Senior

• 6,323 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 00:35

EDIT - Random router

you can quote as much crap as you like, the fact that your not going to get close to 300 speeds on 2.4 due to interference, and the limitations of the 2.4 wireless spectrum

http://transition.fc...chtopics10.html

see where it says 2.4 is up to 144
the up to 600 is the 5GHz of N

talk to somebody OTHER then Best Buy, like a person worth their salt. your not going to get N speeds on the 2.4 band, there is just to much congestion, to much interference, and the bands are to small

#15 srjallan

srjallan

Neowinian

• 115 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 04 September 2012 - 00:38

All you need to do is this...