Project CARS - Community Assisted Racing Simulator

Yeah, that's AMD's fault for not contacting SMS as often as NVIDIA did. They are on the case now, at least, so things should improve soon. Ian Bell addressed it all...

Take a look at this. It looks like the issue is with the game engine and its use of PhysX effects. 

EDIT: Wrong link.

Yeah, that's AMD's fault for not contacting SMS as often as NVIDIA did. They are on the case now, at least, so things should improve soon. Ian Bell addressed it all...

I find this unbelievably stupid. How the hell is AMD's fault that a game is not working properly? They provide the hardware and the APIs, it should be the games' developers job to make their stupid games work properly on said hardware, not the other way around by having the drivers guys add stupid per-game workarounds because the developers of said games couldn't have bothered to write proper code.

I find this unbelievably stupid. How the hell is AMD's fault that a game is not working properly? They provide the hardware and the APIs, it should be the games' developers job to make their stupid games work properly on said hardware, not the other way around by having the drivers guys add stupid per-game workarounds because the developers of said games couldn't have bothered to write proper code.

With you on this, can you imagine how buys AMD/Nvidia would be if they had to work with every developer on every game?

IMO this is a QA issue for SMS, they should have tested better and contacted AMD if they had issues that they needed to work with them on to fix.

• Like 1

Don't shoot the messenger, guys; I was only relaying what they said. I had a look in the WMD forums (that are only viewable to backers of the game) just now, and there's more info in there, which I'll relay here.

Firstly, this post from Martin Griffiths, a PC render coder on the game...
06-05-2015, 18:46

The relatively poor AMD performance is looking like it might be an issue with the driver profile for the game (the exe name), so hopefully they will provide a quick fix for this... Certainly when I tested the original driver profile it gained around 15-20%. If anyone wants to test this I seem to recall that you can get a similar improvement renaming the pCARS.exe (or maybe pCARS64.exe) to 3DMark11.exe.

And a few posts from Ian Bell...

07-05-2015, 14:33

Gains that were made with an earlier driver they released were lost in a later release. Our internal analysis shows only very marginal gains available from our side (around 1%) with an excessive amount of work.

07-05-2015, 14:46

We've had emails back and forth with them yesterday also. I reiterate that this is mainly a driver issue but we'll obviously do anything we can from our side.

07-05-2015, 14:58

Some great gains we saw from an earlier driver they released have been lost in a later driver they released. So I'd say driver is where we start.

Again, if there's anything we can do we will. 

I've now conducted my mini investigation and have seen lots of correspondence between AMD and ourselves as late as March and again yesterday.

07-05-2015, 17:21

[...] we're now 'proving' that the issue is driver related by doing back to back tests, not that any more proof is needed really. Macmac's video nails it.

...and this is the video he's referring to.

There's another one, as well.

So, the lack of communication turned out to be false, but SMS are pretty adamant the fault lies with AMD.

As said before, AMD are now on the case, they're working closely with SMS and hopefully the problem will be fixed soon.

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet
  • Like 1

With you on this, can you imagine how buys AMD/Nvidia would be if they had to work with every developer on every game?

IMO this is a QA issue for SMS, they should have tested better and contacted AMD if they had issues that they needed to work with them on to fix.

Don't shoot the messenger, guys; I was only relaying what they said. I had a look in the WMD forums (that are only viewable to backers of the game) just now, and there's more info in there, which I'll relay here.

Firstly, this post from Martin Griffiths, a PC render coder on the game...

And a few posts from Ian Bell...

...and this is the video he's referring to.

There's another one, as well.

So, the lack of communication turned out to be false, but SMS are pretty adamant the fault lies with AMD.

As said before, AMD are now on the case, they're working closely with SMS and hopefully the problem will be fixed soon.

Here's a Reddit post that sheds some light on the issue. It makes more sense to me than a driver-related performance issue. To make a long story short, the Project CARS engine was built around PhysX, NVIDIA's realtime physics engine middleware. And PhysX stuff can't run on AMD hardware. That leaves the CPU to do the physics work (and more) which in turn kills performance on systems that use AMD GPUs. The Radeon R9 290X is AMD's fastest single-GPU video card. It should never run worse than a GeForce GTX 770 (rebranded GTX 680 from March 2012).

The reason performance improves in Windows 10 is reduced CPU overhead. That leaves more CPU resources for PhysX calculations.

• 3 weeks later...

This game is just not for me. Just a little too realistic for my tastes. The variation in handling from car to car, while no doubt more realistic, is just frustrating as ###### to me. By the time I finally get used to the handling of one car it is time to move to the next and I am just not having fun as much as I am always fighting the controls.

As such if anyone is interested in the Playstation 4 version I will sell it for $35 with free shipping. Not used that much. I'll Take PayPal. I can get $33 from GameStop on a 50% trade in promotion they are running but I refuse to give them my games. PM me if interested.

This game is just not for me. Just a little too realistic for my tastes. The variation in handling from car to car, while no doubt more realistic, is just frustrating as ###### to me. By the time I finally get used to the handling of one car it is time to move to the next and I am just not having fun as much as I am always fighting the controls.

As such if anyone is interested in the Playstation 4 version I will sell it for $35 with free shipping. Not used that much. I'll Take PayPal. I can get $33 from GameStop on a 50% trade in promotion they are running but I refuse to give them my games. PM me if interested.

Same

I played the game for around 3 hours before I gave up and decided this game is just not for me. About an hour in I was starting to think about playing other games. the three hours I played left me being able to use the words Frustrating, buggy and inconsistent. 

I traded it in that following weekend. Considering I paid