official project cars slightly mad studios galileo pc ps4 wii u xbox one

329 replies to this topic

#316 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

We're doomed.

• 18,645 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:58

I think I'm being overly cynical here but... if the content is there to be given... why isn't that content just already part of the game anyway? 

I know, I hate it too. Worst case scenario, it's probably just one of the pieces of content they offered up with the limited edition; probably the Modified Car Pack.

ProjectCARSLEPreorder.jpg

Funding it through WMD means I'm getting the limited edition content for free, anyway (as well as hopefully a decent "share of the game's sales returns", provided it sells well), so if they offer up something new instead, then bonus.

#317 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

We're doomed.

• 18,645 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 17:05

#318 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

We're doomed.

• 18,645 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 21:56

Specifications are out.

Minimum spec:

• CPU: 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400/3.0GHz AMD Phenom II X4 940
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 260/AMD Radeon HD 5770
  • Memory: 4GB RAM, 1GB VRAM

Recommended spec:
  • CPU: 3.5GHz Intel Core i7 3700/4.0 GHz AMD FX-8350
  • Graphics: Nvidia GT600 series/AMD Radeon HD7000 series
  • Memory: 8GB RAM, 2GB VRAM

Graphics-wise, it's gonna be 1080p & 60fps on the PS4, 900p & 60fps on the Xbone, no word on the Wii U yet, and up to 12K resolution (sort of; it's actually three 4K monitors together, so 12K width, but not height) on the PC.

As for gameplay, here's the maximum number of players...

• 45 offline (depending on the grid size of the track) on all platforms
  • 16 online on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and 32-bit PC
  • 32 online on 64-bit PC

http://www.projectca...me.com/faq.html

#319 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

We're doomed.

• 18,645 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 16:50

And for anyone who still cares about achievements/trophies: http://www.projectca...ent-trophy-list

#320 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

We're doomed.

• 18,645 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:56

It's gone gold!

#321 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 25,133 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S6

Posted 04 May 2015 - 18:34

Launch trailer:

#322 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

• 6,301 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 05 May 2015 - 23:09

Got the non ghosting Xbox One version. So excited to play!!

#323 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 4,315 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:29

Got the non ghosting Xbox One version. So excited to play!!

How is it?

I was quite excited about this for a while, but its taken so long its now on F1 2015's door step I just don't think I'll play this after F1 is released so its made me not want to buy it :(

#324 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,456 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 14 May 2015 - 16:23

This game looks interesting but I was disappointed to learn about AMD cards getting very poor performance. A GeForce GTX 770 should never outperform a Radeon R9 290X. Those cards aren't even in the same performance category.

#325 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

We're doomed.

• 18,645 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 20:11

This game looks interesting but I was disappointed to learn about AMD cards getting very poor performance. A GeForce GTX 770 should never outperform a Radeon R9 290X. Those cards aren't even in the same performance category.

Yeah, that's AMD's fault for not contacting SMS as often as NVIDIA did. They are on the case now, at least, so things should improve soon. Ian Bell addressed it all...

“We’ve provided AMD with 20 keys for game testing as they work on the driver side. But you only have to look at the lesser hardware in the consoles to see how optimised we are on AMD based chips.

We’re reaching out to AMD with all of our efforts. We’ve provided them 20 keys as I say. They were invited to work with us for years, looking through company mails the last I can see they (AMD) talked to us was October of last year.

Categorically, Nvidia have not paid us a penny. They have though been very forthcoming with support and co-marketing work at their instigation. We’ve had emails back and forth with them yesterday also. I reiterate that this is mainly a driver issue but we’ll obviously do anything we can from our side.”

#326 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,456 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 21:15

Yeah, that's AMD's fault for not contacting SMS as often as NVIDIA did. They are on the case now, at least, so things should improve soon. Ian Bell addressed it all...

Take a look at this. It looks like the issue is with the game engine and its use of PhysX effects. 

EDIT: Wrong link.

Edited by Yusuf M., 14 May 2015 - 21:17.

#327 elenarie

elenarie

Newbie .NET / game dev

• 2,178 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 15 May 2015 - 15:19

I find this unbelievably stupid. How the hell is AMD's fault that a game is not working properly? They provide the hardware and the APIs, it should be the games' developers job to make their stupid games work properly on said hardware, not the other way around by having the drivers guys add stupid per-game workarounds because the developers of said games couldn't have bothered to write proper code.

#328 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 4,315 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 15:21

I find this unbelievably stupid. How the hell is AMD's fault that a game is not working properly? They provide the hardware and the APIs, it should be the games' developers job to make their stupid games work properly on said hardware, not the other way around by having the drivers guys add stupid per-game workarounds because the developers of said games couldn't have bothered to write proper code.

With you on this, can you imagine how buys AMD/Nvidia would be if they had to work with every developer on every game?

IMO this is a QA issue for SMS, they should have tested better and contacted AMD if they had issues that they needed to work with them on to fix.

#329 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

We're doomed.

• 18,645 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 17:30

Don't shoot the messenger, guys; I was only relaying what they said. I had a look in the WMD forums (that are only viewable to backers of the game) just now, and there's more info in there, which I'll relay here.

Firstly, this post from Martin Griffiths, a PC render coder on the game...
06-05-2015, 18:46

The relatively poor AMD performance is looking like it might be an issue with the driver profile for the game (the exe name), so hopefully they will provide a quick fix for this... Certainly when I tested the original driver profile it gained around 15-20%. If anyone wants to test this I seem to recall that you can get a similar improvement renaming the pCARS.exe (or maybe pCARS64.exe) to 3DMark11.exe.

And a few posts from Ian Bell...

07-05-2015, 14:33

Gains that were made with an earlier driver they released were lost in a later release. Our internal analysis shows only very marginal gains available from our side (around 1%) with an excessive amount of work.

07-05-2015, 14:46

We've had emails back and forth with them yesterday also. I reiterate that this is mainly a driver issue but we'll obviously do anything we can from our side.

07-05-2015, 14:58

Some great gains we saw from an earlier driver they released have been lost in a later driver they released. So I'd say driver is where we start.

Again, if there's anything we can do we will. 

I've now conducted my mini investigation and have seen lots of correspondence between AMD and ourselves as late as March and again yesterday.

07-05-2015, 17:21

[...] we're now 'proving' that the issue is driver related by doing back to back tests, not that any more proof is needed really. Macmac's video nails it.

...and this is the video he's referring to.

There's another one, as well.

So, the lack of communication turned out to be false, but SMS are pretty adamant the fault lies with AMD.

As said before, AMD are now on the case, they're working closely with SMS and hopefully the problem will be fixed soon.

#330 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,456 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 23:09

With you on this, can you imagine how buys AMD/Nvidia would be if they had to work with every developer on every game?

IMO this is a QA issue for SMS, they should have tested better and contacted AMD if they had issues that they needed to work with them on to fix.

Don't shoot the messenger, guys; I was only relaying what they said. I had a look in the WMD forums (that are only viewable to backers of the game) just now, and there's more info in there, which I'll relay here.

Firstly, this post from Martin Griffiths, a PC render coder on the game...

And a few posts from Ian Bell...

...and this is the video he's referring to.

There's another one, as well.

So, the lack of communication turned out to be false, but SMS are pretty adamant the fault lies with AMD.

As said before, AMD are now on the case, they're working closely with SMS and hopefully the problem will be fixed soon.

Here's a Reddit post that sheds some light on the issue. It makes more sense to me than a driver-related performance issue. To make a long story short, the Project CARS engine was built around PhysX, NVIDIA's realtime physics engine middleware. And PhysX stuff can't run on AMD hardware. That leaves the CPU to do the physics work (and more) which in turn kills performance on systems that use AMD GPUs. The Radeon R9 290X is AMD's fastest single-GPU video card. It should never run worse than a GeForce GTX 770 (rebranded GTX 680 from March 2012).

The reason performance improves in Windows 10 is reduced CPU overhead. That leaves more CPU resources for PhysX calculations.