ComScore: Apple & Google Up, Microsoft Down in US smartphone MarketShar

US market is Apple territory, but the rest of the world is Nokia land.

Windows Phone market share is up most places in the world and has now overtaken BlackBerry.

http://wmpoweruser.com/kantar-windows-phone-has-overtaken-rim-market-share-in-usa-key-8-countries/

kantar-august-2012-market-share.jpg

The US market isn't everything.

In Europe US combined both iPhone and BlackBerry have lost 5% market share year-over-year, while Windows Phone gained 1.5%. Windows Phone has passed BlackBerry market share worldwide and in about 2 years they will pass iPhone market share worldwide.

So the only way is to make claims without proof, even against someone who knows better due to first-hand experience working there?

Like I said, I have actual working knowledge of this, and you have failed to provide any evidence that states my first-hand knowledge is incorrect.

Lesson? No one should pay attention to what you're saying since it's obviously wrong.

Nope the only way to show people who are blinded by MS is to do the way i did.

so u have first hand experience lol.... :rofl: like Apple genius?? we know how that works

Simple. I know the facts behind what is going on here. You're the only on here making things up. Since I prefer to deal in facts I don't qualify. It makes me a rather unpopular person, since I don't play by politics. I tell it exactly how it is with little or no regard for consequences.

My guiding principle is that if people can't handle truth that's not my problem. I won't cater. It makes for lots of time alone, but allows me to live with myself without ever feeling shame.

wonder when wp8 is abandoned. haha.. poor wp users

This has been and will continue to be the biggest thorn in Microsoft's side. They are trying to make a foothold for themselves in a space where customer loyalty matters and they consistently show they have no way of staying loyal to those customers. Unless Microsoft gets the memo they have no hope of succeeding in the mobile space.

Microsoft lost a lot of customers to Android when they dumped Windows Mobile with no upgrade path at all for them. At the time this painful break was accepted by those customers who stayed due to the benefits Microsoft touted with its Chassis Specifications, namely Apple like Updates without one OEM locking you. Microsoft has now gone and done the same thing 2 years later and will lose more customers as a result. They are banking on it being a net positive due to the influx of new users, but historically those users haven't materialized.

We will see where Microsoft goes with this, but I know a good number of Windows Phone owners (~10) and every last one of them have committed to dumping WP on their next upgrade over the whole WP 7.8 update. Maybe there will be enough new users to make it not matter, but Microsoft really needs to stop rebooting their platforms and brands every couple of years and dumping customers in the middle.

I used to have a lot of faith that WP would be a success, but now I don't think it will do that well at all. The only hope they have is Apple succeeding in suing Android into oblivion. As they don't have the respect for their users that the marketplace now demands from them.

^ Exactly. To have loyal customers you have to be loyal to them. That has never been Microsoft's strong suit.

I would agree & disagree. While in certain circumstances Microsoft hasn't been loyal there are a lot of areas where they have been.

Windows Mobile kept going for years, and many of the phones were able to upgrade to newer versions easily.

Zune users were given updates for quite some time, including updates that added & changed a lot of functionality for the better over time.

The KIN I will admit was a complete cluster, but I put most of that blame on Verizon almost immediately dumping all support for the phone. :(

Xbox is an area where Microsoft has kept innovating. A lot of my older Xbox games work on the 360 (alas not all of them) and the 360 has seen constant

revision and updates. Xbox itself even has what is called a Customer Advocacy & Exceptions Management team that is responsible for customer loyalty in support situations. They are usually the team that handles cases that have been escalated due to low customer satisfaction with prior support experiences.

Windows is an area where Microsoft has since 1994 has tried to make sure that the OS remains fairly consistent so that users wouldn't get lost easily in newer versions. This is really their first huge change to the usability of the OS since Windows 95. Other steps have been fairly evolutionary.

When Windows Phone came out they kept support up for Windows Mobile for almost an additional 2 years. There were actually some new phones that came out running Windows Mobile even after Windows Phone debuted. The marketplace for Windows Mobile just shutdown a couple months ago.

So to say they don't understand user loyalty and its place is something that just seems odd for me to hear since I've worked directly on teams that dealt with customer loyalty and customer satisfaction.

^ Exactly. To have loyal customers you have to be loyal to them. That has never been Microsoft's strong suit.

Most Android OEMs manage just fine with ****ing on their users with regards to updates, I don't think loyalty comes into play here.

I would agree & disagree. While in certain circumstances Microsoft hasn't been loyal there are a lot of areas where they have been.

Windows Mobile kept going for years, and many of the phones were able to upgrade to newer versions easily.

... (snipped for space, refer to the quoted post for the rest)

Microsoft may have customer advocacy teams and whatever other bureaucratic structures make them look like they are customer focused, but they obviously are failing in the arena consistently. So, either those teams have no authority, and as such as useless, or they don't actually represent the users they claim to represent. The reality is shown clearly with how fast and hard Microsoft is failing lately.

Microsoft from inception to fairly recently has been a corporate focused company. The dynamics of the corporate world are a lot different than those of the consumer world. That's why Apple has caught Microsoft with their pants down, so to speak, and have ran past them in profits and market cap. In the corporate world dropping support for a product and telling your customers to buy something else isn't catastrophic. Corporate users buy based on what they perceive as offering value at that time with no regard for the past or the future, only the present, and they value the choice purely in ROI. Consumers are not the same.

Microsoft nuked the Zune and make a fatal mistake IMHO in doing so, as they continue to do lately. Apple didn't stop making iPods when they released the iPhone and they continue to sell them to date. A smarter choice for Microsoft would have been to continue making Zune devices with the only major change being ensuring they run "Windows Phone" sans the phone. Allowing consumers to experience Windows Phone without having to jump ecosystems and helping to keep themselves at the center of the media experience story. Today you're selling ecosystems not devices and they were too short sighted to see the Zune as anything more than a device.

Them dropping Windows Mobile was something to be forgiven. The realities weren't the same when Windows Mobile was on the market, business focus not consumer, but they are the same for Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8. The biggest problem Microsoft has to break is perception and they aren't helping themselves here. They are essentially trying to lie to the majority of their Windows Phone customers with 7.8 and those who are knowledgeable are angry that their 6 month old device will be treated like Android devices. The damage to their brand could be extensive or it could blow over. Time will tell...

This has gotten too long and I seem to have to step away so I'll expand upon it if needed.

Most Android OEMs manage just fine with ****ing on their users with regards to updates, I don't think loyalty comes into play here.

There is more to loyalty than just updates.

Microsoft may have customer advocacy teams and whatever other bureaucratic structures make them look like they are customer focused, but they obviously are failing in the arena consistently. So, either those teams have no authority, and as such as useless, or they don't actually represent the users they claim to represent. The reality is shown clearly with how fast and hard Microsoft is failing lately.

Microsoft from inception to fairly recently has been a corporate focused company. The dynamics of the corporate world are a lot different than those of the consumer world. That's why Apple has caught Microsoft with their pants down, so to speak, and have ran past them in profits and market cap. In the corporate world dropping support for a product and telling your customers to buy something else isn't catastrophic. Corporate users buy based on what they perceive as offering value at that time with no regard for the past or the future, only the present, and they value the choice purely in ROI. Consumers are not the same.

Microsoft nuked the Zune and make a fatal mistake IMHO in doing so, as they continue to do lately. Apple didn't stop making iPods when they released the iPhone and they continue to sell them to date. A smarter choice for Microsoft would have been to continue making Zune devices with the only major change being ensuring they run "Windows Phone" sans the phone. Allowing consumers to experience Windows Phone without having to jump ecosystems and helping to keep themselves at the center of the media experience story. Today you're selling ecosystems not devices and they were too short sighted to see the Zune as anything more than a device.

Them dropping Windows Mobile was something to be forgiven. The realities weren't the same when Windows Mobile was on the market, business focus not consumer, but they are the same for Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8. The biggest problem Microsoft has to break is perception and they aren't helping themselves here. They are essentially trying to lie to the majority of their Windows Phone customers with 7.8 and those who are knowledgeable are angry that their 6 month old device will be treated like Android devices. The damage to their brand could be extensive or it could blow over. Time will tell...

This has gotten too long and I seem to have to step away so I'll expand upon it if needed.

1. The customer advocacy teams I'm referring to are not encumbered by red tape. They are literally the top tier of support in each division, and contact customers directly. They listen to the customers issue and make their decision based entirely upon the circumstances. The person handling that particular customers issue has the authority to make whatever call they need to make.

2. If you think Apple is a customer friendly company all I need point out is the, "You're holding it wrong,' debacle. That's not the only time that Apple has been blatantly rude to customers and told customers that they know best. So to say that the reason Apple wins is because of how they treat the customer isn't really much of a valid point.

3. The Zune line wasn't dropped because of Windows Phone. That was a decision actually made separate from Windows Phone. If the plans were to totally drop the Zune brand then they would have already had another name in place at the launch of Windows Phone for the music hub. They specifically chose to still keep the Zune name at that point. Devices were also still sold for about a year after the launch of Windows Phone. It was in October of 2011 that the final decision was made to axe the Zune line.

4. Regarding ecosystem, actually Microsoft saw Zune as more of an ecosystem than a device...that's why the branding has stuck around...and only soon is about to change. Zune was about both devices & services with the hardware playing a smaller part of that story than the services.

5. Oddly enough Windows Phone was very consumer focused, even to the point of leaving out highly requested enterprise features in order to focus more on conquering the consumer space first. What they found is that the consumers that often pick up smartphones also want the enterprise security features as well. They were bashed hard for not focusing more on the corporate story. That's what they are fixing with Windows Phone 8.

Sorry to put it in bullet-points. I know some people take that as being rude or being aggressive. I do it only to point out things in a clear manner so that the points I'm refuting can be more easily read.

MS Needs to release WPs that even the dirt poor can buy then we will see the numbers go up. That's the one thing android has over all the others. I was taking my friend to the welfare office cause they have a service where they print your resume and help you find work and there was a flyer up that if you can prove your broke you get a free android phone to use for emergencies. If google got rid of the cheap phones and only had phones around the same price as iPhone and WP the numbers would drop dramatically.

in response to your claim that u r MS expert.

You might want to ask around before saying I'm not. I worked on a AAA title at MGS and spent the last few years working on campus on various LIVE and support & support analysis teams, including one that dealt directly with Windows Phone. So yes this is a case where I do know what I'm talking about.

There is more to loyalty than just updates.

Yeah ofcourse there is, but the entire post about loyalty brought up by member "Frazell Thomas" was based entirely on the lack of update and nothing else, hence my point is valid.