[Canada] Studying cryptography in university

I've always been interested in cryptography and computer programming. I'd like to study it in university. My brother, who goes to the University of Waterloo, suggested I look into UW's Combinatorics and Optimization program.

I know that UW offers courses on crypto-related subjects, but I guess my question is: is this the kind of program where I'd learn about crypto?

And, for anybody that has taken a similar program, is there any room for studying computer programming along with the math?

Seems like more of something to focus on at a graduate school level. Here's what the University of Waterloo's Centre for Applied Cryptographic Research has to say on the matter:

Applying for Graduate Studies

Faculty at the University of Waterloo who do research in cryptography and related areas are members of one of the following departments:

• Combinatorics & Optimization (C&O)
  • Computer Science (CS)
  • Electrical & Computer Engineering (E&CE)
  • Pure Mathematics (PM).

If you are interested in graduate studies in cryptography at Waterloo, then you will have to apply to one of the C&O, CS, E&CE or PM departments.Please note that there is no mechanism for applying directly to the CACR, or for applying directly to a faculty member.

Seems like more of something to focus on at a graduate school level. Here's what the University of Waterloo's Centre for Applied Cryptographic Research has to say on the matter:

Applying for Graduate Studies

Faculty at the University of Waterloo who do research in cryptography and related areas are members of one of the following departments:

• Combinatorics & Optimization (C&O)
  • Computer Science (CS)
  • Electrical & Computer Engineering (E&CE)
  • Pure Mathematics (PM).

If you are interested in graduate studies in cryptography at Waterloo, then you will have to apply to one of the C&O, CS, E&CE or PM departments.Please note that there is no mechanism for applying directly to the CACR, or for applying directly to a faculty member.

Thanks! :)

Depends on what you want to learn, How it works ? Then make sure you are great at math.

Otherwise they cover implementing pki etc in most computer security courses like cisco's