• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#16 @Leo

@Leo

Under Derp Patrol

• 606 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:45

Yes, that's a new feature of Windows 9 milestone 3, I can play all Ubisoft games concurrently and type on Neowin.

#17 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:47

I'm not playing any Ubisoft games except Trials:Evolution on the xbox360. I only bought AC1 and completed most of it. Those are the last 2 Ubisoft games I've touched. I'm excited trials:evolution is coming to PC!!!

#18 @Leo

@Leo

Under Derp Patrol

• 606 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:48

i have to admit, Rayman Origins was really good. I bought that one. But that one never had DRM troubles. :)

#19 OP compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,376 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:20

According to Ubisoft's statistics, you're playing all of those games. Now. At the same time. And it's a pirated version.

Statistics they refuse to show anyone else. They screwed up and in typical PR bull**** they are trying to avoid any blame.

Stupid company is stupid.

#20 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,633 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:27

Posted Image

Too bad PC gamers ditched Ubisoft.

Too little, too late. Restore Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon to their original respective glories, and we might have something to talk about.

Mmm a real RB6 and Ghost Recon game.... The new splinter cell I actually like better than the old ones.

#21 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 16,396 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:01

I'm glad they ditched it just in time for Rocksmith. If they added Steamworks integration, then it'd be perfect (in my opinion).

#22 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,273 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 17:38

Yeah, the original article (not the one sourced by most of these, but also from RockPaperShotgun) said it happened in June 2011.

So it's certainly in time for whatever. (And funny that people still believed it was present, but anyway.)

The new splinter cell I actually like better than the old ones.

Hell yeah. Chaos Theory and Double Agent were fun but kind of annoying. I keep wanting to finish them and not getting anywhere.

#23 Frogboy

Frogboy

Neowinian Senior

• 3,188 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 23:00

As some of you know, we don't put copy protection in our internally developed games and I feel confident in saying that it has no noticeable impact on sales.

We released Galactic Civilizations II in 2006. SIX years ago right? I think it would be safe to say that whatever piracy could happen to that game must have happened by now. But we still made well into the six figures on that game in July.

Needless to say, I don't buy into the piracy argument. I never have. I've gotten flamed on this so many times over the years as if I'm some sort of gamer hippy. But it's not naivete, it's just business. People who pay money for stuff are a lot less likely to pay for stuff if they think they're going to get hassled for doing so.

#24 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

• 3,137 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 23:08

There was so recent comment I saw that indicated that they believed 90%+ of their players are playing a pirated copy.

Which begs the question, when they have a game that has 5 or so million sales, are they suggesting there's another 50 million or so people playing a pirated copy?

Or that a significant percentage of the human population in the world that has ready access to electricity is, at this moment, playing Rainbow Six.

In fact, 15 out of 10 people on this forum are playing it right now...

No. They said on PC 90% of copies are pirated. Out of that 5 million sold, the majority of sales will be on console. The makers of the Witcher announced they passed 1 million sales, and at that point in time there were 4.5 million copies pirated so far. That's a ~80% piracy rate, not far off from Ubisoft's number, and Ubisoft games are more popular.

#25 Frogboy

Frogboy

Neowinian Senior

• 3,188 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 23:28

My question is: Do you think piracy cost them a measurable amount of sales?

My follow-up would be, do you think their anti-piracy methods cost them more sales than they gained through converting would be pirates.

And my last question is, is the goal of copy protection about increasing sales or keeping non-payers from playing?

#26 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 09 September 2012 - 23:33

I downloaded in the uplay campaign HAWX2, and Driver 3... for 1 dollar, that was a good start but I still don't know.

#27 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 09 September 2012 - 23:58

My follow-up would be, do you think their anti-piracy methods cost them more sales than they gained through converting would be pirates.

And my last question is, is the goal of copy protection about increasing sales or keeping non-payers from playing?

I think they should show us some data. Also the main reason people stay away from DRM is they are worried about security and system stability. some DRM like Origin, etc, introduces back-doors into your system and they run at ring0, thus having super-permission sets that take over your system. Hackers can easily gain access and have full control over your system. DRM mechanisms like that should never be used.

Some DRM has even blocked legit use of optical drives, backup/security software, and even hypervisor software. I had one case where a game that had starforce DRM prevented vmware workstation from running! Same with another DRM system. It completely disabled vmware and it was a mess getting it back up and running. I had to reformat.

#28 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

• 3,137 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:44

That depends on your definition of measurable. To me, even 1 lost sale is 'measurable'. If it was not possible to pirate I can guarantee some pirates would buy games if there was no alternative. Assuming there was some form of uncrackable DRM, pirates would not just pack up their bags and quit gaming.

The problem is all current DRM gets cracked, so it's pretty much pointless. Ubisoft tried their best and in the end their DRM didn't prevent piracy, so now they're scaling it back. In its current state, I don't think having/not having DRM makes any major difference in sales. Games with No DRM get pirated, as do games with DRM.

IMO the goal of copy-protection is both to stop people who haven't paid from playing, and to increase sales, but current DRM doesn't work to accomplish those goals. I would be interested in seeing uncrackable DRM, just to see how it would affect sales. I have no problem with DRM, as long as I can play the game without any trouble, and so far I haven't run into any DRM that has prevented me from playing a game I bought, maybe I've just been lucky.

To say piracy doesn't affect sales at all is just being naïve. To use your example of Galactic Civilizations II, it was released 6 years ago and right now there are at least 100 people seeding torrents of it. It is a six year old game, I'm guessing its' popularity is waning, yet after all this time there are still copies being pirated. There must have been thousands, if not millions of copies pirated in the last six years. Now, how many of those copies can translate to lost sales, I can't say.

#29 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,323 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:54

I would say no. Most people who pirate generally had no intention of buying (except for in the case of the following question). Oftentimes too, people who pirated just wanted a demo due to the lack thereof and end up buying it if they actually liked it.

Yes. I've seen many many people say they will never buy a Ubisoft PC game due to their horrible DRM. It's much easier to pirate and not deal with it.

Copy protection has nothing to do with increasing sales. It's all about keeping people that didn't pay from using it.

#30 Frogboy

Frogboy

Neowinian Senior

• 3,188 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:23

I think they should show us some data. Also the main reason people stay away from DRM is they are worried about security and system stability. some DRM like Origin, etc, introduces back-doors into your system and they run at ring0, thus having super-permission sets that take over your system. Hackers can easily gain access and have full control over your system. DRM mechanisms like that should never be used.

Some DRM has even blocked legit use of optical drives, backup/security software, and even hypervisor software. I had one case where a game that had starforce DRM prevented vmware workstation from running! Same with another DRM system. It completely disabled vmware and it was a mess getting it back up and running. I had to reformat.

I hope you don't mind but I'm going to keep a quote of this. It is one of the best, most succinct responses I've seen on the DRM topic yet.