so I have a few questions and I do not know what model to pick..,
1) The MacBook Pro (Non Retina)
OK so my first choice is the MacBook Pro without the Retina display because of a few reasons.
- I can change the ram in the machine, in the Retina model it is all soldered in so it can't be changed.
- The DVD Drive,I can buy a bracket that will allow me to replace the DVD Drive with a Laptop HDD such as a 1TB Drive for storage and a 256GB SSD as the Boot drive.
- Their are a bunch of stands out there that will allow me to have it standing up and use it as a desktop machine which is what I want but it has the added advantage of being able to be used in bed or something which is something the other 2 in the list do not have...
The reason the iMac is on the list is because it has an Amazing screen and I have heard they make an amazing Workstation PC (Nothing like a Mac Pro but they are WAY to expensive for me) and I heard that they use Laptop CPUs and Laptop Ram and for a desktop I am a little concerned if that will make any noticeable difference, I know the MacBook pro does to but, well it's a laptop so yeah. Also I am a little concerned because I read that the new models you have to take the screen off to upgrade RAM and changed the HDD and that you can not add a Second HDD to the iMac and I really want at least a 256GB SSD OS Drive and a 1TB + Storage drive. So that is why I am a bit weary of picking this one.
3) Building a Hackintosh (Yeah I know ><)
OK so the reason that this on this list is because, with how easy it is to Install Mountain Lion (Buying it from Apple of course) on a Compatible PC you can have pretty much everything working and have it running just as good as a Legitimate Mac computer. But if I go down this route it can be a lot of hassle etc especially with updates and I like how Legit apple products feel construction wise (like the iPhone and Mac Mini) so I want that But the Hackintosh is way cheaper, I can add a bunch more storage to it etc so yeah.
So those are my 3 options for moving to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion which is something I am 100% set on but I would also like to know if anyone has any experience with their performance in Windows 8 as I will be running that in Boot Camp too and I only play like 2 games, World of Warcraft and Minecraft which are both OS X Compatible anyway so that is a non issue but I would like to know about their performance with those 2 games as well. And finally, Life span I don't want to have to get the newest Mac every time they are released id like to skip a generation without feeling like my system is going to die if I don't buy a new one so comments about their life span is also welcome.
I look forward to reading the responses about what Mac I should buy and what you guys think I should do because I am ready to make the switch to OS X from Windows : )