Photo

Seriously considering making the switch.

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

Poll: What Mac Should I buy... (112 member(s) have cast votes)

What Mac Should I Buy?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 05 September 2012 - 23:44

But that is where my issue with the iMac kicks in. I want a 1TB Internal storage drive and a 256GB SSD but its an extra £400 when a 256GB SSD is only £170 from Crucial so I would have to add it myself X_x. I could go external but I dunno, if it is just as fast as internal i'd probably do it.

The iMac has a Thunderbolt port for external drives, which should be more than fast enough for what you're doing.

#32 OP +Fractalizer

Fractalizer

Cupcakes!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 23:45

Thunderbolt drives are JUST as fast as internal drives now, or remember the new ones have usb 3.0 which is blazing fast as well.

Just checked the Pricing again and to change the 1TB drive on the iMac to just an 256GB SSD it's £400.

Why in gods name are apple SSDs so fricking expensive X_x.

The iMac has a Thunderbolt port for external drives, which should be more than fast enough for what you're doing.

True, but if I was to buy an iMac I am going to buy my own SSD and have to tear it apart anyway to replace the HDD in it so once again I have hit a snag if I decide to go with an iMac...

#33 Stetson

Stetson

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2012 - 23:49

You mention the Intel HD graphics on the Mac Mini, but did you know that the high end (not the server) Mini has a dedicated graphics chip? It's an AMD 6630M. Definitely not a high end card by any means but better than the Intel HD graphics.

Also the reason that the iMac doesn't outpace the Macbook Pro by much right now has to do with the fact that the Macbooks were just refreshed in June but the iMac hasn't been refreshed since last summer. If you do end up getting an iMac take a look at the refurbished section of online store to try to get a better deal on one.

#34 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 05 September 2012 - 23:53

Why in gods name are apple SSDs so fricking expensive X_x.

Because it's from Apple. Apple thrives on premium products sold to premium customers.

#35 OP +Fractalizer

Fractalizer

Cupcakes!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 23:53

You mention the Intel HD graphics on the Mac Mini, but did you know that the high end (not the server) Mini has a dedicated graphics chip? It's an AMD 6630M. Definitely not a high end card by any means but better than the Intel HD graphics.

Also the reason that the iMac doesn't outpace the Macbook Pro by much right now has to do with the fact that the Macbooks were just refreshed in June but the iMac hasn't been refreshed since last summer. If you do end up getting an iMac take a look at the refurbished section of online store to try to get a better deal on one.

If I decide to go for an iMac I am going to be getting it right after the refresh.

Yeah I know the Mini has that graphics chip in it but that should be refreshed soon it is still on Sandy Bridge and I don't think that chip would be able to max out WoW on 1920x1080 in Windows or OS X which is one of the other things the Mac will be used for.

Because it's from Apple. Apple thrives on premium products sold to premium customers.

Well IMO their should be a Hatch or 2 for the HDDs in the iMac and MacBook Pro so users can change them > >. That's the ONLY issue I really have with their whole design philosophy.

#36 Stetson

Stetson

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 September 2012 - 00:16

They do support changing the hard drive yourself in the non-retina Macbook Pro. I think it requires a torx screwdriver to attach and detach the drive from the mounting frame but that's not really a big deal.

If you want to use this at your desk almost all of the time I think a refreshed iMac will give you the most bang for your buck. Counting on a laptop to run at peak performance for long periods of time while closed on your desk isn't super feasible.

If you just want decent performance and the ability to use it around the house and maybe take it with you on a trip, the Macbook route might be a better fit.

#37 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 September 2012 - 00:27

Like I said, with my Machine it is just way to damn slow, like REALLY slow. And after using OS X I've grown to like it a lot so yeah.

Also according to Crucial http://www.crucial.c...id-2012&Cat=RAM you can add 16 GB of ram to the Non retina model.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP649

It's possible it does, it wouldn't be the first time Apple has, for whatever reason, not allowed configurations up to the max spec.

#38 OP +Fractalizer

Fractalizer

Cupcakes!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 00:32

They do support changing the hard drive yourself in the non-retina Macbook Pro. I think it requires a torx screwdriver to attach and detach the drive from the mounting frame but that's not really a big deal.

If you want to use this at your desk almost all of the time I think a refreshed iMac will give you the most bang for your buck. Counting on a laptop to run at peak performance for long periods of time while closed on your desk isn't super feasible.

If you just want decent performance and the ability to use it around the house and maybe take it with you on a trip, the Macbook route might be a better fit.

Isn't refurbished just the Macs that where sent back because they where faulty, but apple fixed em. Kinda a bit weary about buying one of those because of that. Also do they come with the Keyboard and Mouse / Track pad too?

"They are in 100% working condition, and are then sold as refurbished product. As these refurbished products have been unpacked and manipulated, they might however exhibit some minor cosmetic imperfection, such as scratches, marks or discolorations."

That don't sound to appealing to me. If the rates of that happening are Very low like Sub 5% id go for it but I am not sure on that.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP649

It's possible it does, it wouldn't be the first time Apple has, for whatever reason, not allowed configurations up to the max spec.

I just watch a bunch of videos on upgrading them to 16GB and it seems to work ok.

#39 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 September 2012 - 00:35

Coming from a BYO PC background, I don't think Mac's are overpriced. I think they're perfectly priced.

A friend of mine has an old Austin Mini ... it has been modded to destroy a Ferrari off the line.

But I'd much rather have the Ferrari ;) Sometimes, the speed at which something runs isn't the only factor. A cheap PC instead of a Mac is the equivalent of buying a Vauxhall Corsa instead of a BMW M3. I'd rather work in comfort, on the best screens, the best trackpads, the best keyboards, the best build quality etc, and still smokin' fast.

But to each their own.

I like Apple laptops, and I do think they're built better than most others, but an iMac? You can get better displays, and you can get better components for cheaper. Plus, you're stuck with an all in one, so if anything goes out of warranty, you're stuck tearing apart your Ferrari. Not to mention, dropping $2000 to get a decent GPU is... crazy.

So, I guess the metaphor isn't so bad. iMacs are finicky to work on and the manufacturer doesn't want you taking them apart, but they're pretty and fun to use.

#40 OP +Fractalizer

Fractalizer

Cupcakes!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 00:45

I like Apple laptops, and I do think they're built better than most others, but an iMac? You can get better displays, and you can get better components for cheaper. Plus, you're stuck with an all in one, so if anything goes out of warranty, you're stuck tearing apart your Ferrari. Not to mention, dropping $2000 to get a decent GPU is... crazy.

So, I guess the metaphor isn't so bad. iMacs are finicky to work on and the manufacturer doesn't want you taking them apart, but they're pretty and fun to use.

One of the reasons I want to get a Mac. I have an iPhone, had an iPod touched, and I just recently stopped using a Mac Mini. Heck every time I go to a PC store with a Mac on display I head over and go play with it. They just feel amazing to use.

#41 Stetson

Stetson

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 September 2012 - 00:57

Isn't refurbished just the Macs that where sent back because they where faulty, but apple fixed em. Kinda a bit weary about buying one of those because of that. Also do they come with the Keyboard and Mouse / Track pad too?

"They are in 100% working condition, and are then sold as refurbished product. As these refurbished products have been unpacked and manipulated, they might however exhibit some minor cosmetic imperfection, such as scratches, marks or discolorations."

That don't sound to appealing to me. If the rates of that happening are Very low like Sub 5% id go for it but I am not sure on that.

I just watch a bunch of videos on upgrading them to 16GB and it seems to work ok.

Pretty much everyone I've heard of who bought a refurbished Mac got it in like-new condition. It comes in a plain box, and has basically the same warranty as a new Mac. You can even add the extra 2 years of AppleCare.

If you're going to wait for the refresh then you might as well just buy a new one. The refreshed models won't be available as refurbished for a few months after the release anyway.

#42 OP +Fractalizer

Fractalizer

Cupcakes!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:00

Pretty much everyone I've heard of who bought a refurbished Mac got it in like-new condition. It comes in a plain box, and has basically the same warranty as a new Mac. You can even add the extra 2 years of AppleCare.

If you're going to wait for the refresh then you might as well just buy a new one. The refreshed models won't be available as refurbished for a few months after the release anyway.

I think I'll wait till the refresh and then change the HDD out for an SSD (should be easy enough) and then add my own RAM and a 2TB External Storage Drive.

#43 Stetson

Stetson

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:07

I think I'll wait till the refresh and then change the HDD out for an SSD (should be easy enough) and then add my own RAM and a 2TB External Storage Drive.

I wouldn't be surprised if the refresh makes at least a small SSD standard. The current iMac design makes changing the HDD a bit tough (you have to remove the screen glass and display panel), but there are good guides on how to do it on sites like iFixit.

#44 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:29

So if I do add an SSD to the iMac the fans will be going full whack X_x. Those fans are small so they wont be quiet either X-x.

Yup. If you search the web you can find more info. Some solutions as well:

https://discussions....tart=0&tstart=0

But to be honest with you, I would just go with a thunderbolt or USB 3.0 drive for the extra storage.

I wouldn't be surprised if the refresh makes at least a small SSD standard. The current iMac design makes changing the HDD a bit tough (you have to remove the screen glass and display panel), but there are good guides on how to do it on sites like iFixit.

They are making these harder and harder to upgrade. I too also think that a 64GB SSD will be the "standard" and there won't be HDD in iMacs in the next gen.

#45 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:53

I see zero problems with putting a resistor on the hard drive temperature sensor if you drop an SSD in. I've done that on cars before... and temperature failure there is a bit of a bigger deal. if you know the sensor is useless (SSD isn't going to heat up), it's fine to plug it. Case sensor would kick in the fans before the overall heat got too high.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!