Photo

Seriously considering making the switch.

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

Poll: What Mac Should I buy... (112 member(s) have cast votes)

What Mac Should I Buy?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#106 OP +Fractalizer

Fractalizer

Cupcakes!

Posted 08 September 2012 - 23:33

So I just had a thought, Would an iMac graphics chip be able to drive the iMac display AND a 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display as I was thinking maybe a month or 2 after buying the iMac to add a Thunderbolt Display along side the iMac on a Lowkey Stand with USB2.0 (hopefully updated to USB 3.0) or the Slimkey V2 Stand to level out the displays so they are exactly side by side.

#107 Frogboy

Frogboy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:54

Ok, for what it's worth, here's my 2 cents:

I have a MacBook Pro, a MacBook Pro Retina (1 week old), a MacBook Air and a 27 inch iMac.

I also have (and am typing this on) a custom built Windows 7 PC with a similarly built Windows 8 PC at work along with lots of ThinkPad laptops.

As others have no doubt said, it's really about how you plan to use it.

Operating system wise, I prefer Windows 7 to MacOS X Mountain Lion. It's a more productive environment for me when I need to get a lot of work done (if I'm working in ONE app for a long period of time, the Mac is just as good if not better because of the new full screen option in LIon/Mountain Lion).

The MacBook Pro Retina is amazing. The display is crazy good. The SSD it comes with it big and really fast. I love using it for light work (email, budgeting, schedules, Internet flame wars, etc.). However, if there was a MacBook Air with retina, I'd use that first.

I would not bother with the iMac. You'd be better off getting a Cinema Display and hooking up a MacBook Pro to it (or MacAir).

Hope this helps.

#108 @Leo

@Leo

Under Derp Patrol

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:10

The Retina MacBook Pros are wasted in my opinion, unless of course you indeed use the laptop screen. I can't wait for proper desktop high density displays. Imagine a 24" 3840x2400 screen. One could only hope, right? :p

#109 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:13

Ive been really thinking about the mac book air and a iMac 27" model.

#110 Frogboy

Frogboy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:14

The Retina MacBook Pros are wasted in my opinion, unless of course you indeed use the laptop screen. I can't wait for proper desktop high density displays. Imagine a 24" 3840x2400 screen. One could only hope, right? :p

That is true. If you're not going to use the screen, get a regular MacBook Pro.

I use it as a laptop most of the time.

But if someone forced me to choose between my favorite PC and my favorite Mac, the PC would still win.

Though, I'd have a real tough time giving up my MacBook Air.

#111 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

What the what

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:33

Hmm... I wonder if I can get 16GB in my mid-2009 MBP, then... hmm....

My late 2009 13-inch MacBook officially only supported 4GB but unofficially supported 8GB max (it's based on the chipset)

#112 OP +Fractalizer

Fractalizer

Cupcakes!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:00

Ok, for what it's worth, here's my 2 cents:

I have a MacBook Pro, a MacBook Pro Retina (1 week old), a MacBook Air and a 27 inch iMac.

I also have (and am typing this on) a custom built Windows 7 PC with a similarly built Windows 8 PC at work along with lots of ThinkPad laptops.

As others have no doubt said, it's really about how you plan to use it.

Operating system wise, I prefer Windows 7 to MacOS X Mountain Lion. It's a more productive environment for me when I need to get a lot of work done (if I'm working in ONE app for a long period of time, the Mac is just as good if not better because of the new full screen option in LIon/Mountain Lion).

The MacBook Pro Retina is amazing. The display is crazy good. The SSD it comes with it big and really fast. I love using it for light work (email, budgeting, schedules, Internet flame wars, etc.). However, if there was a MacBook Air with retina, I'd use that first.

I would not bother with the iMac. You'd be better off getting a Cinema Display and hooking up a MacBook Pro to it (or MacAir).

Hope this helps.

Ok but if portability isn't a factor so it seems stupid to get a laptop as it will be permanently stuck on a desk. And if I was to buy the MBP, then buying an apple display is way out of budget and I would be stuck with my 1920x1080 screen, and one of the attractive points for me anyway about the iMac is the 27" screen.

Imagine a Retina 27" Screen : O.

#113 Aaron Olive

Aaron Olive

2011 27" iMac

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 6 Plus

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:31

Get the iMac, can't beat the screen space for the price of the other Macs and the gestures is a plus over Windows.
Posted Image

#114 OP +Fractalizer

Fractalizer

Cupcakes!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:03

Get the iMac, can't beat the screen space for the price of the other Macs and the gestures is a plus over Windows.

That is one of the reasons I am considering it. What I want to do is after a few months buy an Apple Thunderbolt Display so I have 2x 27" screens, but I am just waiting for the Refresh at this point to see what the new Specs will be.

Anyone know of any good External Thunderbolt / USB 3.0 Drives I can use for Time Machine and Storage?

#115 Aaron Olive

Aaron Olive

2011 27" iMac

• Phone: iPhone 6 Plus

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:21

That is one of the reasons I am considering it. What I want to do is after a few months buy an Apple Thunderbolt Display so I have 2x 27" screens, but I am just waiting for the Refresh at this point to see what the new Specs will be.

Anyone know of any good External Thunderbolt / USB 3.0 Drives I can use for Time Machine and Storage?

1. Got a list here for your location, WD is a good brand in my opinion. http://www.amazon.co...+3.%2Caps%2C439

#116 OP +Fractalizer

Fractalizer

Cupcakes!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 18:34

1. Got a list here for your location, WD is a good brand in my opinion. http://www.amazon.co...+3.%2Caps%2C439

Awesome, thanks.

http://www.amazon.co...5595&sr=8-3This looks like a good one, think I will go with this and Partition off 1TB to use for Time Machine. Which is a good point, Can time machine be used with a Partition or does it have to be an Entire drive?

#117 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 10 September 2012 - 23:55

First, I said early it was 8gbs on Apple's site, but that they could support more. Second, a screenshot that shows it's been installed? Post some benchmarks showing the difference between 8gb and 16gb, otherwise I'm sticking with the recommendation that they not waste their money.

Go find those benchmarks yourself. I'm guessing Google works just as well over at your place. Fact is you can install 16 GB in the current MacBook Pro, something you disputed altogether in your previous post.

#118 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 September 2012 - 23:57

MBP! I am not reading and responses but I would be willing to bet someone has already said "do not get the iMac, no upgradability" - which would be correct.

#119 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 11 September 2012 - 00:04

MBP! I am not reading and responses but I would be willing to bet someone has already said "do not get the iMac, no upgradability" - which would be correct.

And the MacBook Pro is a shining example of upgradability?

#120 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 September 2012 - 00:44

Go find those benchmarks yourself. I'm guessing Google works just as well over at your place. Fact is you can install 16 GB in the current MacBook Pro, something you disputed altogether in your previous post.

It does, they don't exist. Thanks for the help.