Apple Store Camping - Experiences anyone?

Heya guys,

First things first:

Actually, I don't want to start topics with anti-derail notices, but I asked a moderator to keep a close eye on this topic, so any derailing replies are under surveillance.

Please keep in mind that this is a troll-sensitive topic, I welcome any participation and opinions, but let's stay on topic please.

I'm going to camp outside an Apple Store rather soon for the next iPhone release.

Why am I doing this?

I want a specific color and capacity of my choice, so I should secure myself a place in line rather soon, out of experience the usual times for chosing from the full range are in the early night before launch day, so that's why.

I know I can have it delivered to my door, but I prefer getting it in an Apple Store, funnily my first purchase in an Apple retail Store. :)

Delivery on launch day is a big big question mark, because the Apple online store has no more contractual subsidies, so you're always buying full price and unlocked, get it through a carrier or retail store and I just don't trust delivery. :p

On another note, I actually like the idea of camping:

Getting to talk to others who are just as impatient and crazy as you, socializing and talking or playing games!

I'm definitely down for that and I'll probably bring at least one friend, so it's all thumbs up for me, no annoyances and I think it can't hurt doing that.

Mind you: I'm not taking days off for this, I'm a college student, so go me :p

If you think this is an Apple phenomenom, think again:

Harry Potter midnight launches with lines starting in the early evening, Call of Duty midnight launches, etc etc...

I'd do this for any product I fancy getting my hands on early, whatever brand it is as long as the value satisfies the traveling cost and "rarity" after a couple of hours of sale is given... You know what I mean.

Feel free to contribute your experiences, your opinions and anything else you might wanna dump in here. ;)

(pictures or videos of you camping? Tips what to bring?)

Glassed Silver:mac

I haven't participated in any such ticket/product lines personally, but have dropped off food and beverages to some friends who have. Those in the line nearby were jealous. So maybe just line up the 'supply' runner for a happier experience?

I haven't participated in any such ticket/product lines personally, but have dropped off food and beverages to some friends who have. Those in the line nearby were jealous. So maybe just line up the 'supply' runner for a happier experience?

Don't know anyone in the Frankfurt area anymore... apart from Mephistopheles, not sure he'll do the pizza boy for me though! :D

I'll bring my own food of course, but anything warm always wins... :D

Glassed Silver:mac

Only thing I ever wanted for was a video game that was released at midnight. But I had a pre-order and was assured a copy. But every iPhone that is released, seems there is a shortage.

If I were to ever camp out, then I would take a friend with me. That way, you can leave if need be and not lose your place.

When the iPhone 4 came out I ended up standing in line for one. I hadn't originally intended to get one but then AT&T gave a large number of 3GS owners upgrade eligibility and I was able to get $200 by selling my 3GS, so I figured I might as well. I figured my local Apple store wouldn't be very busy but when I got there around dawn on launch day the line was around two corners of the building. Ended up waiting in line for about two hours before Apple staff did a head count and let people past a certain point (including me) know that there weren't enough phones for them.

Came back the next morning at opening time, stood by the door with one other person, and when they opened the store they had like 4 phones left.

I guess it's worth it if you're prepared to do it ahead of time and get an early spot in line. Honestly I'd rather just preorder one exactly like I want and have it on my doorstep on launch day.

If I had time and a friend wanting the same thing, it could be an experience to do once in his life. And not just about Apple, I?ve seen people do it for a condominium downtown and every unit was sold during the next morning.

Unfortunately, I?m working 40 hours a week from Monday to Friday during the day, and since I am not a morning person, I?d find it impossible to skip a night. I?d have to NOT go to work the next day, so my $300 iPhone would end up costing me $450, I can?t consider this.

As someone who is already camping in front of the Microsoft Store indefinitely waiting for the Lumia 920 with no release date, I would suggest you have a food supply line and a means of recharging your batteries. You might also want someone watching the line just in case someone tries to jump ahead of you if you doze off, but on top of that, you will need people to talk to or the waiting will feel awful and you probably will fall asleep.

Also, if pets are allowed, bring a kitten. Those with allergies may excuse themselves from your part of the line, thus making it shorter. You might also want to bring a large (over the ears) pair of headphones in case there are annoying people around and you want to appear less approachable for conversation (I always did this on the train).

That's all my advice for now.

• Like 1

I've lined up for the midnight releases of games like StarCraft 2 and Call of Duty: Black Ops + Modern Warfare 3. The longest I've waited was just over three hours. It's very boring to just stand or sit around for more than an hour but having a friend or two with you makes it easier. Keeping your spot without a friend won't be hard. You'll be standing/sitting in an area for awhile so the people around you will get used to your presence. You can easily ask the person ahead of you to watch your spot without a hassle.

Aside from bringing the obvious stuff like food and something to keep you entertained, you should have a couple of energy drinks. The hardest part will be the hours leading up to release and you don't want to fall asleep when you're so close.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the most useful statement I can supply is. If your not first your last :-D I camp out for Black Friday every year. Yes im one of those nutcases. Camping out for something is fun. You're there with other nutcases so it has alot to do with the expierence. Most people think your just there the entire time without good food, entertainment or other required "places". Which is entirely not true.

Now for a Apple iPhone, I don't see why you can't just order what you want online o_0.