AMD question

Hey everyone!

I have this processor

http://www.amazon.co...X/dp/B003YV64OI

The 4th core is unlocked and it is now technicaly a Phenom II B50 Processor @3.20 GHz.

Is it worth me upgrading to this? I'm very new with hardware so please don't flame me :)

http://www.newegg.co..._-pla-_-NA-_-NA

Another alternitive is me going over to an i5. Should I make the switch? Is it worth it with my current HW?

Thanks everyone!!!!

If your PC runs smooth as it is then perhaps look at overclocking your current processor (if possible). Save your money and if you do want to spen it then think about perhapse a new SSD or GPU? No indication of your current hardware so difficult to advise what the best way to spend your money is.

The answer is NO!

AMD will release the AMD FX-8350 in two months.

The FX-8350 is based on Piledriver which is faster than FX-8150 which is based on Bulldozer.

Depends on what you use your PC for, how tight money is, & what deal(s) you can find on a new CPU -- if you're thinking of switching AMD to Intel, Also consider that while it is possible to keep your current WIndows install, you're most likely better off reinstalling everything from scratch.

I haven't kept up on the very latest pricing, but the general point of view has been that there wasn't enough of a price difference between the FX series & the i5's to justify buying AMD [& I've been a AMD fan for years, so that's not being a fan boy]. Last spring when I really monitored pricing the i5-2500k dropped to $150 & the i7-2600k to $250 on sale. Unless you needed the i7s added cores [e.g. for video encoding] the i5 was pretty much universally considered the way to go. That said, Intel boards tend to be more expensive -- it can be harder to find a good deal at the cheaper end on a Intel m/board vs. AMD. Either way read as many user reviews & do as much research as possible on any m/board you're thinking of buying, looking for problem reports once they're a few months old.

Are you using any programs that are bottlenecked by your cpu? If not, there's not really any point in upgrading.

This ^^^

If you need extra speed with encoding media, or a few extra frames in a game, you could upgrade. Otherwise, upgrade to an SSD if you haven't already.

Well an i5 will put it to shame by a pretty huge margin, so I guess it's up to you.

http://www.cpubenchm...henom+II+X4+B50

You're comparing a $65 processor to a $225 processor. Is it any surprise it was 'put to shame'?.

Edit: Actually, The i5 2500k is 80% faster, and costs 350% more. The Phenom is way better bang for the buck.

If your PC runs smooth as it is then perhaps look at overclocking your current processor (if possible). Save your money and if you do want to spen it then think about perhapse a new SSD or GPU? No indication of your current hardware so difficult to advise what the best way to spend your money is.

I don't believe I can overclock. In the bios, I use the "Use all cores" hack to use the 4th core. I then go over to Overclocking, set it to 20%, save changes and it goes back to being a 3 core processor, but overclocked to 3.40 Ghz. :( I have a 128 GB OCZ SSD. It's one of the good ones without defects. lol! :) My GPU is a PNY NVIDIA GeForce 250 GTS (1GB GDDR3 if I remember right...)

The answer is NO!

The FX-8350 is based on Piledriver which is faster than FX-8150 which is based on Bulldozer.

OK. Thanks for that. I'll wait for that, or possibly even get an SSD for my Program Drive.

Are you using any programs that are bottlenecked by your cpu? If not, there's not really any point in upgrading.

I play video games, Photoshop, and VMware (SUSE, W8, Arch, Ubuntu, XP, etc.) and some apps I can't think of right now. Video Games is 95% of my computer tho. It good that you brought that up :) Is it nice? Hell yeah! Do I NEED it? Mehhh....Probably not. :) I could invest that into something else.

Depends on what you use your PC for, how tight money is, & what deal(s) you can find on a new CPU -- if you're thinking of switching AMD to Intel, Also consider that while it is possible to keep your current WIndows install, you're most likely better off reinstalling everything from scratch.

I haven't kept up on the very latest pricing, but the general point of view has been that there wasn't enough of a price difference between the FX series & the i5's to justify buying AMD [& I've been a AMD fan for years, so that's not being a fan boy]. Last spring when I really monitored pricing the i5-2500k dropped to $150 & the i7-2600k to $250 on sale. Unless you needed the i7s added cores [e.g. for video encoding] the i5 was pretty much universally considered the way to go. That said, Intel boards tend to be more expensive -- it can be harder to find a good deal at the cheaper end on a Intel m/board vs. AMD. Either way read as many user reviews & do as much research as possible on any m/board you're thinking of buying, looking for problem reports once they're a few months old.

Reinstalling Windows is no problem for me :) Hmm...Maybe I should have dug deeper while researching Intel. I've been with AMD for my whole life. I thought a decent Intel mobo would cost maybe $80-120. At that price with the i5 vs. i7, it's worth paying a 100 more dollars to get an overall better processor. Thanks for that. :) I might invest my money into a different part of my computer, as stated above in this post. :)

Thank You everyone for responding to my thread. Sorry my post is so long :) I'm also debating getting a 256GB SSD for my program apps and maybe a better GPU.

Meh...Makes my brain hurt. What do you guys think?

1. Get 256 gig SSD for program data (Replaces White label 160 GB SATA HDD)

2. Get better Graphics card (What is a considerable step up from a PNY NVIDIA 1GB 250 GTS?)

--HDMI would be nice

-- DX 11 would be nice

-- Needs to be NVIDIA (Yes, I'm a fanboy. LOL :))

Thanks again all!

Tyler R

Ok. Scratch that. Might not go with Intel.

-- Too expensive for my budget

-- AMD is better in benchmarks.

-- Have been with AMD all my life...might be showing my fanboy-ness :rofl: :D

The answer is NO!

Hell yeah, there was a pricelist of the new AMD cpus coming out and the best cpu is like $150 or something, epic performance for the money so I would defo wait for that.

That chart you posted shows the i5-3570k at 7,715, and the FX-8150 at 8,159... :huh:

Haha, I didn't noticed that. That i5 crushes it in other benchmarks I've seen. Weird.

I guess overall, AMD makes good cheap CPUs, but gets beat up pretty bad in the mid to high range.

The AMDs are huge power hogs though. That's a big reason why I never buy AMD.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/AMD-FX-8150-vs-Core-i5-2500K-and-Core-i7-2600K-CPU-Review/1402

Also, I had planned on building a new comp with an intel i5 but I'm going to hold off and build one with AMD just because of the value for money.

The last computer I built was a few years ago so any option I choose with the new AMD cpu's will be a step up from what I used to have. :)

Haha, I didn't noticed that. That i5 crushes it in other benchmarks I've seen. Weird.

I guess overall, AMD makes good cheap CPUs, but gets beat up pretty bad in the mid to high range.

The AMDs are huge power hogs though. That's a big reason why I never buy AMD.

http://www.hardwares...CPU-Review/1402

Yeah, it definitely depends on what they're doing to get the benchmark. I've no doubt the i5 is a better chip overall, but at Microcenter you can get an 8120 + a motherboard for what the i5 alone costs. Once you factor in price, AMDs don't seem so bad.