Man drives Hummer in path of car to save street-crossing children

EDMONTON - Darrell Krushelnicki didn't think twice when he pulled his Hummer in front of a speeding car in order to prevent four children crossing the street from being mowed down.

The 46-year-old from Taber, Alta., was in Edmonton on Friday visiting his parents and had just dropped off his girlfriend at Bonnie Doon Mall. He was stopped at an intersection around 4:30 p.m. when he noticed four kids, ranging in age from three to 16, crossing the street at a marked crosswalk with overhead amber lights.

All the vehicles on the road had stopped, except for a car whizzing up in the far lane. Krushelnicki noticed the car travelling at high speed so he crept into the intersection with his 2006 Hummer.

"I could just tell it was a bad scenario that was going to take place," said Krushelnicki, who works in the oilpatch in northern B.C. "The driver did not see the crosswalk, the amber light flashing, nor the posted speed limit and he appeared to be on a hand-held device of some sort talking."

In order to prevent a disaster, Krushelnicki drove his vehicle in front of the speeding car, which hit the front end of his passenger side, pushing in the bumper and grill.

Aside from a loose tooth, Krushelnicki wasn't injured in the collision. He immediately jumped out of his vehicle to make sure the shaken kids -- who watched the crash occur within about 15 or 20 feet of them -- were okay.

"They were all shaken up. I couldn't see any visual injuries. I asked them to go sit on the lawn of the church on the corner," said Krushelnicki, noting some of the kids were crying. He then approached the driver of the car.

"He looked a little shaken and disoriented."

According to police, witnesses reported that the driver of a 2007 Pontiac G5 was speeding and allegedly speaking on his cell phone when he passed several vehicles that were stopped to let the four children use the crosswalk.

Now, police are commending Krushelnicki's actions.

"These children potentially could have sustained serious injuries and or death," said police spokesperson Scott Pattison, noting Krushelnicki will be recommended for a citizen's award.

"Obviously, it's not something we want to see people do, but certainly his spontaneous actions may have saved the lives of four children. It's a miracle he wasn't hurt himself."

Krushelnicki is overwhelmed by all the attention he's received about the incident.

"I was really taken by surprise by all of this," he said.

"I'm just glad the kids are okay and the only thing that needs repairs is some twisted metal."

John Troy Heitzman, 23, is charged with dangerous driving.

Source

That man should be given the award talked about in the article. That ****ing idiot of a driver, speeding while on a phone could of killed 4 kids. Glad that other man was there to stop it.

Well. Kudos to the guy. There's a crosswalk in the midpoint of a block near where I live. No light, no sign. Twice I couldn't see why people were stopping so I took the empty lane on the side. The first time I encountered this I just passes in front of the people crossing to my surprise. The second time I hit my brakes just in time. Not a good situation. Most of the time no one is crossing so there's no problem. Oh I was on a motorcycle both times and the large vehicles blocked my view. I'm cautious now.

• 1 year later...

Good story but could have ended so many more ways....

Imagine the other driver hit himself against the windshield or steering wheel. Yes, he probably deserved it but either way

The hummer could have skidded and ran the kids over anyways.

The other car could smash the hummer so hard it might have left the hummer driver seriously hurt or paralysed because of the collapsing structure.

Now the hummer driver faces other things:

He drove past a red light (since the other light was amber Im supposing it was a intersection)

He caused a accident

He caused massive damage to his car.

I agree with him saving the kids' life. Im just point out some things that have happened in the process.

Great guy 

It's situations like this the cause me to question myself.  I don't know what I would have done in that situation.  I don't know if I would have stopped the car (not due to not wanting to) but due to not even thinking about that.

Awesome job Mr. Krushelnicki 

@ +riahc3,

I think you missed the point.

1) He drove past the red light... you are allowed to do so in an emergency, with caution.

2) There was no accident, he purposefully stoped the other car... cudos

3) Who cares about the car?  It's not even remotely in relation to saving the lives.

@ +riahc3,

I think you missed the point.

1) He drove past the red light... you are allowed to do so in an emergency, with caution.

2) There was no accident, he purposefully stoped the other car... cudos

3) Who cares about the car?  It's not even remotely in relation to saving the lives.

Where are you allowed to run a light in an emergancy? that seems like a daft law making it too easy for any driver to lie and not get charged.