Photo

GPU & maybe PSU upgrade

graphics video watts connector power supply video card 8600gts 480 nvidia gtx

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 OP CelticWhisper

CelticWhisper

We've met before, haven't we?

• Location: Your house. As a matter of fact, I'm there right now.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 20:28

The one cable that does worry me is the 4-pin CPU connector. Right now, looking at the case from its open panel with the front to the right and the back to the left, I have to route it past my PCI cards from the bottom-left (bottom-mounted PSU) to the top-left (CPU connector is to the left of the CPU & cooler) of the case and, since the V1 CPU cooler is large and I have to work between it and the rear exhaust fan, more slack to work with is better. I already have to use needle-nose pliers to (carefully!) connect & disconnect that cable, since I have large hands and it's blocked by bloodthirsty copper fins.

The only other cable I'd worry about would be the SATA power connectors since I have to run them up to my optical drive(s), but tsupersonic says it's not a big deal and I have much more room to work around those.

#17 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5 16 GB

Posted 07 September 2012 - 21:19

The one cable that does worry me is the 4-pin CPU connector. Right now, looking at the case from its open panel with the front to the right and the back to the left, I have to route it past my PCI cards from the bottom-left (bottom-mounted PSU) to the top-left (CPU connector is to the left of the CPU & cooler) of the case and, since the V1 CPU cooler is large and I have to work between it and the rear exhaust fan, more slack to work with is better. I already have to use needle-nose pliers to (carefully!) connect & disconnect that cable, since I have large hands and it's blocked by bloodthirsty copper fins.

The only other cable I'd worry about would be the SATA power connectors since I have to run them up to my optical drive(s), but tsupersonic says it's not a big deal and I have much more room to work around those.

I'm sure your 4 pin CPU connector will be ok, if not you can always get an extension cable like this. Granted, I wish the 300 allowed you to route the CPU cable through the back of the case and through the top, that would be ideal, so it's out of the way. I have 1xDVD-Drive (sitting in the bottom of the 5.25" bay), 2xHDD's, 2xSSD's. The only thing you might want to watch out for is the positioning of the drives - with long graphics cards, it can be a pain to place a HDD right in the back of the GPU. I had that issue with the GTX 260, which is 10.5", but the 560Ti is only 8.5". If you run into this problem, just move one of the HDD's into a different bay, easily fixed.

#18 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:29

definitely the 560, but it will be held back by your CPU. i think it might be time for a new build. definitely don't get the GTX 400's, they were like a trial run for NVIDIA and were very quickly replaced by the 500 series.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!