Thoughts: Windows 8 should have eliminated the legacy right click menu.

the significantly increased mouse travel time is something I'd definitely consider a usability hit...

Mouse tracking. Adjust it, and you'll be fine. ;)

EDIT: I just noticed this is my resurrected thread... :/

Mouse tracking. Adjust it, and you'll be fine. ;)

I'm a pc gamer so I keep mouse acceleration totally disabled. I would not enjoy having to ramp up mouse accel to workaround a poorly concieved right click menu replacement.

I made a quick video emulating Win+I with my mouse using a macro and Keyboard and Mouse center. When I boot into Windows 7 next, I'll upload it and post it.

Wait, what...??? Why do you need to boot into 7 to upload....???

After 5 months and a Warwagon thread revival, do you still like your own idea?

After 5 months and a Warwagon thread revival, do you still like your own idea?

At this point, I'm favoring Microsoft eliminating the desktop all together these next few years. I think you'll see Metro evolve to take over for it.

And, if Microsoft isn't interested in killing the desktop completely, just transforming it, I would still love to see more Metro integration, yes, either through the new sidebar menus, or via Metro app- like menus:

post-420821-0-23235200-1361192941.png

VERY quick mockup!

Either way, I feel there is still major transformations coming to Windows in "Blue" or Windows 9, that will further depreciate the desktop or integrate it into Metro.

At this point, I'm favoring Microsoft eliminating the desktop all together these next few years. I think you'll see Metro evolve to take over for it.

Either way, I feel there is still major transformations coming to Windows in "Blue" or Windows 9, that will further depreciate the desktop or integrate it into Metro.

desktop (and traditional "apps") are not going anywhere anytime soon. The most Windows 9 will do is polish what they already have in 8. Things like,

1. Squash the many small random bugs that seem to plague Win8 (have a look at Microsoft Answers) such as the one I am facing where Win8 refuses to shut down and causes CPU spike.(Ends in either hard reboot or BSOD take your pick)
  2. 3 tile sizes (similar to WP)
  3. improve app launch and overall performance
  4. UI polish

At this point, I'm favoring Microsoft eliminating the desktop all together these next few years.

1580bxf3ucq.gif

So you want them to destroy productivity completely?

How am I gonna use photoshop, dreamweaver, web browser, music player, chat program all at once if you can only have 1 fullscreen app at a time?

Are you a troll or something?

1580bxf3ucq.gif

So you want them to destroy productivity completely?

How am I gonna use photoshop, dreamweaver, web browser, music player, chat program all at once if you can only have 1 fullscreen app at a time?

Are you a troll or something?

Do you not think Metro won't evolve? What you're telling me with this comment is that Metro will remain the same forever, and won't adapt to new trends.

While OSX and Linux exist Microsoft won't get rid of the desktop or people will just dump Windows like a hot pile of s*it. With the Metro design 'ethics' I can't see any evolution that's going to be as powerful and versatile as the desktop is.

I have no problem with the Metro stuff being evolved on tablets (lets not get into that whole debate again) don't screw over people who actually use their computers for something other than web browsing and facebook.

While OSX and Linux exist Microsoft won't get rid of the desktop or people will just dump Windows like a hot pile of s*it. With the Metro design 'ethics' I can't see any evolution that's going to be as powerful and versatile as the desktop is.

I have no problem with the Metro stuff being evolved on tablets (lets not get into that whole debate again) don't screw over people who actually use their computers for something other than web browsing and facebook.

Strange, I can use my Surface for more than just Internet browsing and Facebook. ;) There's no denying it would involve workflow changed (gasp!), but that doesn't mean a person can't be just as productive.

I never said you couldn't.

I'd like to see how you cope graphic/web designing on Metro interface without desktop.

My point was that Microsoft is aiming all this touch crap at morons who use their PC's just for listening to music and social networking.

I never said you couldn't.

I'd like to see how you cope graphic/web designing on Metro interface without desktop.

Why do you need a desktop to code? You can still have open your project and a browser on Metro for your web development.

Graphic design will survive without a mouse. Metro isn't going to kill off the Wacom tablets.

but designing something using metro defeat the metro purpose,

which is metro intended to be a consumption interface, not a content-creation interface.

Left Click or Right Click interface totaly weird if it you only using your finger & touchscreen. (no non-single button mice or pen with switch)

Because I have a brain and can multitask, I don't need something full screen taking my full attention.

There's nothing wrong with fullscreen. Even before Windows 8, I ran all my apps as fullscreen. It eliminates distractions. Multitasking doesn't mean the need to try and keep an eye on everything at once, you're overloading yourself there. It may be out of view, but the ability to run multiple apps at once, still counts as multitasking.

but designing something using metro defeat the metro purpose,

which is metro intended to be a consumption interface, not a content-creation interface.

Left Click or Right Click interface totaly weird if it you only using your finger & touchscreen. (no non-single button mice or pen with switch)

Who says it can't be both? With Windows 8 and touch, there is no right clicking. To invoke the app's options, you simply swipe in from the right to use the Charms, or swipe down from the top to get in-app options. Otherwise, with the mouse, it's invoked by right clicks.

So instead of right clicking DIRECTLY on the thing I want I have to single left click to select something then move my mouse all the way to corner of screen, click the option for right click?

What's the point in adding more actions just to do one simple freaking thing.

Right click offers many things including a quick link to common tasks. Just because you don't see benefit doesn't mean the rest of us dont who live and breathe within the os constructs on a daily basis. But if you want to go that route, let's take clicking completely away and make everyone type in the commands in a run prompt, command prompt, or powershell, it is much more efficient anyway than clicking....let's take it one step further back and lets get rid of the mouse all together being that the mouse is so 80's, the keyboard is the future.

So instead of right clicking DIRECTLY on the thing I want I have to single left click to select something then move my mouse all the way to corner of screen, click charms, click the option for right click?

*facepalm*

No. The original idea I was trying to convey in my original post, was that a right click would invoke the Settings Charm, which in Windows 8 is quite barren. There you would find your right click options.

Users on touch devices would have better ease of use, and not have to F around with pointing and holding a few seconds to open the right click menu. The desktop would be usable by touch.

Right click offers many things including a quick link to common tasks. Just because you don't see benefit doesn't mean the rest of us dont who live and breathe within the os constructs on a daily basis. But if you want to go that route, let's take clicking completely away and make everyone type in the commands in a run prompt, command prompt, or powershell, it is much more efficient anyway than clicking....let's take it one step further back and lets get rid of the mouse all together being that the mouse is so 80's, the keyboard is the future.

The idea was to integrate Desktop/Explorer right click functions into Metro. Not kill it.

Lets not go too extreme here. We could eliminate the user interaction all together if we just plug directly into our brain and have our mind do all the clicking and movement all together. Mice and Keyboards and physical input is a thing of the past, we need to look ahead at our future options. /s

I like the idea, it would be like metroising the desktop. Sure it would require a little more travel with the mouse and keyboard, but be much faster (and more compatible) with touch input.

I think it should be an OPTION for desktop users, but ENABLED BY DEFAULT.

(I know the startscreen was forced, but it needed to be, if people really want the start menu the could install it, nothing is stoping them from doing that)

There's nothing wrong with fullscreen. Even before Windows 8, I ran all my apps as fullscreen. It eliminates distractions. Multitasking doesn't mean the need to try and keep an eye on everything at once, you're overloading yourself there. It may be out of view, but the ability to run multiple apps at once, still counts as multitasking.

Personally not sure why anyone would ever want to run "fullscreen" apps. I for one hate fullscreen apps and Metro apps in general, but others like doing it their way, so I can see that.. I need to be able to multitask on just one monitor (Ex: browser on half the screen, MS Word on the other half). Dot, your biggest problem is that you can't see other people's views. Everyone uses their computers differently, and no one should be told or "forced" into doing things a certain way.
  • Like 2

Personally not sure why anyone would ever want to run "fullscreen" apps. I for one hate fullscreen apps and Metro apps in general. I need to be able to multitask on just one monitor (Ex: browser on half the screen, MS Word on the other half). Dot, your biggest problem is that you can't see other people's views. Everyone uses their computers differently, and no one should be told or "forced" into doing things a certain way.

Running fullscreen gives me more space within the app to work without feeling cramped, and allow myself to focus on the task at hand without being distracted by things going on in other windows. I get multiple windows is important, and Metro allows for that, but at the same time those people that run a plethora of things at once are just a small population compared to those that run just a few.