• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#196 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 18 February 2013 - 22:02

My fianceé does a lot of photo manipulation and, to a lesser extent, graphic design using photoshop with a mouse.

Photo Manipulation doesn't require the precision drawing does, You can do most manipulation with a finger nowadays, or simply at a press of a button.

#197 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 February 2013 - 22:09

Photo Manipulation doesn't require the precision drawing does, You can do most manipulation with a finger nowadays, or simply at a press of a button.

Why do I get the feeling you have an answer for everything... :p

#198 MFH

MFH

RAII fanatic

Posted 18 February 2013 - 22:37

Why do I get the feeling you have an answer for everything... :p

Because he has the same answer for everything...

#199 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 18 February 2013 - 22:38

Graphic designers are more than likely using tablets to draw, not mice. It's what I used in my CAD classes. Mice are too unsteady, especially is you have hands like me.

A digitizer is a long recognized Desktop input type and is in the more precise control category, whereas touch is not (Surface RT vs Pro). Again, completely missing the point. Designers have dense toolbars and canvases, they need access to tons of controls at a glance. If the minimum size of each is enlarged enough to be touch friendly, it will necessarily be less dense than its predecessor unless they demonstrate a way to add that quickness to tools back.

He simply doesn't understand the need for mice. If it wasn't for that ancient UI putting its nose in his future, they would disappear overnight.

#200 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 February 2013 - 23:00

i can only agree with the OP in the way that i agree that having two different paradigms for the desktop is stupid. The start screen isn't a replacement for the start menu.. it's a replacement for the desktop itself. Pick one or the other. Thus dual paradigm setup is bullcrap.

#201 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 February 2013 - 23:07

I would have preferred if Windows 8 came with a setting to use the mouse like a touch input device (being able to drag to scroll, keep the left button pressed for context menu, etc. in Metro). Much less annoyances especially on touchpads where every different laptop has different scrolling or multitouch methods.

#202 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 18 February 2013 - 23:42

The main issue with this would be: How would you offer a better or equitable version of the right-click menu, that is both customizable and offers the same level of functionality, say for individual files or folders in Explorer, and/or on a single item in a list in a non-MS application?

Eliminating the right-click context menu from the desktop alone, as your screen shot shows, might make sense. However, removing it all together, such as from Explorer or other MS and non-MS applications, would limit functionality and productivity to an extreme.

#203 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 23:50

Dot Matrix, stop having thoughts, its not working for you.

This would never work.

Eliminating the right-click context menu from the desktop alone, as your screen shot shows, might make sense. However, removing it all together, such as from Explorer or other MS and non-MS applications, would limit functionality and productivity to an extreme.

thats what metro and all this "modern" app BS does, and yet some people don't mind.

#204 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 18 February 2013 - 23:57

Dot Matrix, stop having thoughts, its not working for you.

This would never work.

thats what metro and all this "modern" app BS does, and yet some people don't mind.

I disagree. For me it has improved functionality and productivity in many cases. If your experience and/or use and integration of it has been poor, that's too bad.

While I could easily agree with removing the right-click menu from the desktop alone, scenarios such as in File Explorer, or VS, or Photoshop, or in many other non-MS applications would be very hindering, unless it was replaced by a method that made just as much if not more sense.

#205 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian

Posted 18 February 2013 - 23:57

Sometimes I don't know if you really love or really hate windows 8 Dot Matrix, of all the giant and glaring usability issues with "metro" and you want to remove that last bit of what's left that's actually usable lol

#206 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

Posted 19 February 2013 - 00:04

I could definitely see myself using a right-click Charms Bar instead of the small context menus. They first need to work on the Charms Bar though. Reminds me of Blackberry in terms of redundant menus and things that are necessary being hidden/layered.

#207 Mikee4fun

Mikee4fun

Neowinian

Posted 19 February 2013 - 00:05

This would be total fail on my 30 inch 2560x1600 LCD..

Try spanning three!

#208 insanelyapple

insanelyapple

Neowinian

Posted 19 February 2013 - 00:18

For all sanity, even Apple uses a right context menu because it is simplier, easier and more intuitive...

If you are passionate about Windows 8 then why there's substitute for Start menu in your screenshot? And no, charm bar is not intuitive and easy to invoke - I was almost unable to bring it on HP Envy 23 today.

#209 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 19 February 2013 - 00:23

Sometimes I don't know if you really love or really hate windows 8 Dot Matrix, of all the giant and glaring usability issues with "metro" and you want to remove that last bit of what's left that's actually usable lol

I'm not the only one calling for Metro integration on the desktop. If you have better ideas as to what can be, I'd love to see them.

Actions like this would make Windows more accessible to other devices. Try using the desktop right now on a Surface, and it's still the nightmare that caused Windows 7 tablets to fail (aside from the poor hardware).

#210 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian

Posted 19 February 2013 - 00:25

I'm not the only one calling for Metro integration on the desktop. If you have better ideas as to what can be, I'd love to see them.

Yes I have a better idea, leave windows alone.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!