Photo
win8

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#16 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 07 September 2012 - 19:27

It could be something Microsoft could look into opening up for custom entries. It would certainly eliminate the amount of white space currently on the slide out.

If it's an optional I'm all for it. In fact, if they'd extend the thing to not just simple menus but actual little "widgets" (whatever you'd want to call it), some little extensions that can do basic things besides a menu and it would be even more of a tasty option. Preview videos, view a changelog or edit a Subversion commit, toggle things on or off, etc etc.. lends itself to all sorts of possibilities. Put that RT stuff to good use.

#17 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 September 2012 - 19:28

There is indeed, everything about Windows 8 takes more clicks, more mousing around, more scrolling. Usability has taken a HUGE hit with Windows 8. This would be the icing on the cake.

I am just as productive on Win8 as I am on Win7, and the desktop is unchanged. So, define "everything" for me please...

#18 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 07 September 2012 - 19:33

I am just as productive on Win8 as I am on Win7. Define "everything"....

No thank you, I'm not going to turn another thread into a why we don't like Windows 8, you said so yourself in your first post. My opinion is that this would be a big hit in terms of usability, which is likely the biggest reason I don't like Windows 8, so really, I'm surprised they didn't do this. Chalk it up to another feature that wouldn't be bad on a touch interface, but is terrible for a desktop. I like your creative thoughts, don't get me wrong, but I in no way think it's a good idea for a desktop. If you're offering it for a tablet, then perhaps it's not as bad of an idea.

#19 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 September 2012 - 19:45

No thank you, I'm not going to turn another thread into a why we don't like Windows 8, you said so yourself in your first post. My opinion is that this would be a big hit in terms of usability, which is likely the biggest reason I don't like Windows 8, so really, I'm surprised they didn't do this. Chalk it up to another feature that wouldn't be bad on a touch interface, but is terrible for a desktop. I like your creative thoughts, don't get me wrong, but I in no way think it's a good idea for a desktop. If you're offering it for a tablet, then perhaps it's not as bad of an idea.

Windows 8 is a new way to do old things, it's a fresh take on the desktop OS, but at the same time, it's incomplete. The little things like I detailed are why. If anything I certainly hope Microsoft updates their Mouse and Keyboard Center to support Windows 8 commands via my mouse. I'd settle for just invoking Win+I just by right clicking.

#20 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 07 September 2012 - 19:56

I am pretty sure 99% of the people would hate this option. There is a reason MS didn't do this: it would have been disastrous. I am going to say that context menus are not going away any time soon. Even in the next few versions of Windows.

#21 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 September 2012 - 20:00

I am pretty sure 99% of the people would hate this option. There is a reason MS didn't do this: it would have been disastrous. I am going to say that context menus are not going away any time soon. Even in the next few versions of Windows.

It's not going away per se here either, just being moved to fill in the white space in the new slide out menu, while making things more universal. The current right click menu is a mouse driven bit that all users a re forced to deal with no matter what device they are using, which in Windows 8 makes no sense anymore when it can be moved to a better spot. It would still exist, as is, in third party apps, since Windows cannot possibly fill that role.

#22 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 07 September 2012 - 20:05

I know this increases travel time, but with the way you can increase cursor speed today, it's a non issue. I can can cross my screens with only a slight bend in my wrist.

Not so if you're on a laptop with a touchpad. Hence the app bars are a pain to use on a laptop. Depending on your sensitivity and speed settings, crossing the screen takes two finger swipes across the touchpad.

#23 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 07 September 2012 - 20:06

Sorry, still don't buy it. It would still be a terrible UI decision in my mind. People expect to get feed back at point of input, not some distance away. Context menu at the point of click is very natural for the brain and less jarring. I am going to say it now: as long as the mouse exists, context menus will continue to be at the point of click, not some distances away. But that's my opinion, but I know that's how it should be.

#24 Josh the Nerd

Josh the Nerd

Neowinian

Posted 07 September 2012 - 20:12

The Explorer right click option is even more obsolete in Windows 8, due to much of the functionality appearing on the Ribbon at the top of the window. In fact, upon further inspection, ALL of the right click's functionality is duplicated in the Ribbon. So, it would be nice if the right click menu was gone, and I could access the entire Charms Bar (Win+C on the keyboard) just by right clicking here.

Wouldn't that be an inconsistency, since right-click is used to activate the app bar and not the charms bar in Metro apps? It would be like a Start button that only appears on the desktop.

#25 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 September 2012 - 20:18

Not so if you're on a laptop with a touchpad. Hence the app bars are a pain to use on a laptop. Depending on your sensitivity and speed settings, crossing the screen takes two finger swipes across the touchpad.

Laptops are also getting special touch drivers pretty soon.

#26 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 07 September 2012 - 20:23

This is a bad idea..

The Start Screen is already a pain making what used to be small movements of a mouse, into completely crossing the screen, and sometimes more if you need to scroll..

The idea that increasing speed.. the faster tracking the worse precision. Anyone who does work with their mouse will be driven nuts..

#27 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 07 September 2012 - 20:23

That doesn't look modern at all, it just wastes screen space and costs usability and time. Plus it would make working in applications that require intricacy like Hammer and Photoshop extraordinarily annoying and difficult.

#28 phailyoor

phailyoor

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717

Posted 07 September 2012 - 20:26

I know this increases travel time,[snip]

That means it's worse. Not just different. Worse in a definite, quantifiable, and undeniable way. It doesn't matter if it's just a few hundred milliseconds worse. IT IS STILL WORSE. PERIOD.

I am just as productive on Win8 as I am on Win7, and the desktop is unchanged. So, define "everything" for me please...

Actually, you probably mean ALMOST as productive. Maybe you don't notice the productivity loss, but it's there.

#29 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 September 2012 - 20:27

That doesn't look modern at all, it just wastes screen space and costs usability and time. Plus it would make working in applications that require intricacy like Hammer and Photoshop extraordinarily annoying and difficult.

Third party apps would still work the same. This would just be for Explorer. There's no way Microsoft could replace third party functionality.

#30 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 07 September 2012 - 20:28

Newsflash: Most third party applications still use native Windows menus.