• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 07 September 2012 - 19:53

Forget about having dual microphones. Slashgear has been able to confirm that the Nokia Lumia 920 sports 3 special High Amplitude Audio Capture microphones, just like the Nokia 808 Pureview, which allows it to capture very soft and very loud audio while making video recordings which are much closer in fidelity to human hearing, perfect to record that rock concert while also recording the low-light video stream in 1080p.

HAAC is explained below:

“To cope with high sound pressure levels, Nokia has developed together with microphone suppliers a new microphone concept (High Amplitude Audio Capture) that can capture high sound pressure levels with perceptually no distortion to the audio. It is capable of recording up to 140 dB and higher Sound Pressure Levels, while that commonly used digital microphones can only reach 120 dBSPL without heavy distortion. As high amplitude audio levels are tolerated, there is no need to limit the frequency response. Hence full audio bandwidth to match to human hearing capabilities can be provided when capturing with HAAC microphones”

Via Slashgear.com

http://wmpoweruser.c...de-microphones/

#2 MS Pandya

MS Pandya

In love with Microsoft

Posted 07 September 2012 - 21:26

140dB is crazy sound pressure. It's also well above the pain-level and permanent hearing damage level.

#3 +Ryster

Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 21:28

140dB is crazy sound pressure. It's also well above the pain-level and permanent hearing damage level.

Your point being?

#4 MS Pandya

MS Pandya

In love with Microsoft

Posted 07 September 2012 - 21:30

Your point being?

That putting that kind of quality audio into a mainstream consumer device is nothing short of incredible.

#5 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 07 September 2012 - 21:41

Nice! They're putting some great tech into the 920. Do any other handsets do this?

#6 OP George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:54

I don't think any of them do? I honestly haven't heard of any other smartphones having it unless they do and no ones made noise about it.

#7 steve265

steve265

Neowinian

Posted 09 September 2012 - 16:45

Thats what I was thinking! that is amazing!

#8 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 September 2012 - 16:48

I sure could have used this at the Rammstein concert. My phone's mic wasn't exactly up to the challenge.

#9 AsherGZ

AsherGZ

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 820, 520

Posted 09 September 2012 - 17:00

Hence the rock concert reference. Keep in mind we're talking audio recording here. Because churning out that much power out of speakers on a hand held device would be nothing short of impossible.