Do you use the "Guest Network" feature of your router?

"Guest Networks"  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the "Guest Network" feature of your router?

• Yes
    • No

Nope, I have a router that has a guest-network feature, but I don't use it. If a family/friend is over, and they want the WiFi password, I'll just give it to them.

I do. My main wireless network has a very long 16 digit password that's kind of a pain to type in. Random letters, numbers and characters. The guest one I keep pretty simple for when friends drop by and want to jump on quickly. Of course I keep the guest network isolated from the main network.

Only seen this feature on Netgear VM routers.

No, I wouldn't use it - anybody I invite round would be trusted enough to have the wireless key :p

daz411 makes a perfect example of how to properly use the guest network! Still secured, but easier to remember/typein psk while this might be easier to break - they are still isolated from your other devices. Exactly the point of a guest network!

You might even use such a network for devices that do not support wpa2, etc.

• Like 1

I actually just now have this feature since I switched ISP's and the new Netgear router I got is capable of doing so. I was thinking if and when I need it, I would just hop on real quick and enable it.

I have it on my Netgear R6300 and it's a need for me, I have a small section of the house rented, plus I share internet with my neighbors and house guests, so yes definitely use it and love it, been using it for years actually, of course the guest network is isolated from the main network.

Not come across anyone I don't trust (or a having a device I don't trust) want to join my network.

If the need does arise, I'll switch it on....

Why would I want to give anyone else access to my Internet?

And when friends come over, why let them sit on your couch. They can bring their own coffee and if they want to talk then they can just talk to themselves damnit!

nope, not any more, I used it back when i had a DS Lite because it didn't support WPA but now i have no need for the guest network

daz411 makes a perfect example of how to properly use the guest network! Still secured, but easier to remember/typein psk while this might be easier to break - they are still isolated from your other devices. Exactly the point of a guest network!

You might even use such a network for devices that do not support wpa2, etc.

No. Why would I want to give anyone else access to my Internet?

As others have mentioned, as the name suggests its intended for "Guests", not just anyone who happens to be passing by your house. I have never considered using it before myself but am thinking of starting to. I have not yet looked into what features are available on a per-network basis but think it would be nice to separate "trusted" devices, ie my own devices from others. If a guest came round with their laptop which was infected and could see my devices there is a risk of infection etc. The point of it is not to give anyone access to your internet, it is still secured. Just seems like a good way to manage attached devices.

I could but I disabled it (Linksys E4200 v1 with Tomato). When I get guests over that need WiFi (which is like twice a year) I just give them the key. I change the key from time to time and it's never something I use for other purposes anyway. In fact, you can the one I'm using right now: 01189998819991197253. Extremely easy to remember (for me at least) and easy to type on pretty much any device!

I could use an upgrade however I'm actually saving up for some more important upgrades. I just have a complex password and I have to enter on the device while they aren't looking and I change it every week, Just like My SSID. I am still leaving it at Future Trance 61 for budman to find.... he still has not come to me to tell me he found it, LOL

I don't currently but I may consider changing the WiFi password and switching people who use the internet over to the guest because people with iPhones etc see my Apple TV popup in there device for Airplay and I think, the guest network should isolate that. Nearly everyone who visits friends and family have WiFi access