Photo
f1 mclaren hamilton

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: F1 Poll

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Do you think Hamilton will leave McLaren at the end of this season?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,728 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:50

I was wrong completely.
I think it is a bad move for Hamilton. I'd understand if it was Ferrari because they are proven world champions and proven they can build competitive cars. Mercedes so far have yet to show they can build a championship winning car. So i think this is clearly money motivated.

Good news for Perez though, hopefully he can do well with Mclaren.

#17 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,736 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:44

I was wrong completely.
I think it is a bad move for Hamilton. I'd understand if it was Ferrari because they are proven world champions and proven they can build competitive cars. Mercedes so far have yet to show they can build a championship winning car. So i think this is clearly money motivated.

I agree with this. A lot of races over the past few years MSC has been having trouble because the car let him down, it seems like every other race there's something wrong with the car.

#18 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:54

I was wrong completely.

Wasn't that long ago Button was dominating in the Brawn GP car. Mercedes has a good technical team that has had this season to gel, Aldo Costa (Ferrari), Geoff Willis (Red Bull) as well as current technical director Bob Bell.

I wouldn't count Mercedes out just yet.

#19 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,728 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:04

Wasn't that long ago Button was dominating in the Brawn GP car. Mercedes has a good technical team that has had this season to gel, Aldo Costa (Ferrari), Geoff Willis (Red Bull) as well as current technical director Bob Bell.

Oh no, i'm not counting them out at all. It just seems quite a big risk for Hamilton who was in a good position at Mclaren.
Perhaps he honestly wants a new challenge.

Either way it is a very interesting shake up and will be interesting to see what happens next season. With Mclaren getting rumoured Ferrari favourite, Perez. Who will they turn to if they get rid of Massa?

#20 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,349 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:14

I agree with this. A lot of races over the past few years MSC has been having trouble because the car let him down, it seems like every other race there's something wrong with the car.

True, but Rosberg doesn't seem to have as much of an issue with the car. And don't forget that the McClaren pit crew has let down Hamilton spectacularly this year. Hamilton isn't happy with the team and a change could be a great thing for his career, especially as Mercedes has improved a lot over the years. A lot will change come 2014 with the new engine requirements, so even if next year is a write-off it could be a good move in the medium-term.

I think the move by Perez is far more interesting and will certainly give him an opportunity to shine. I'm very much looking forward to next season, especially if Massa is kicked out of Ferrari (he's been a complete waste of space).

#21 +Cryton

Cryton

Neowinian

• 901 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:24

Hamilton leaving McLaren so he has more freedom to "build his brand" is dumb. He'll never win another race with Mercedes, let alone a championship, so all his brand will stand for is disappointment and selling-out.

#22 Mike

Mike

Neowinian Senior

• 3,123 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:34

You do realise Honda bank rolled the Brawn GP car for over 18 months? Thats the only reason they were quick at the start, they were one of the worst at progressing in terms of pace and were no where near the quickest at the end

#23 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,736 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:35

True, but Rosberg doesn't seem to have as much of an issue with the car. And don't forget that the McClaren pit crew has let down Hamilton spectacularly this year.

Yeah Rosberg seems to be more lucky with it. MSC has had to retire from 6 out of the 14 races so far due to car issues, and 2 of them he had an accident. Remember China when it was going to be a 1-2 finish for Mercedes and the pitcrew didn't put on MSCs wheel correctly? He's just had an incredibly unlucky year. And I agree that Mclaren's pitcrew have been pretty **** this year too but at least their car has been doing good.

It'll be sad to see MSC (he's my favorite driver and all) but maybe he should have just stayed out of F1. That way his reputation would have remained "untarnished."

#24 Zoom7000

Zoom7000

The Ankle Breaker

• 2,776 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:43

I would have rather McLaren went for Di Riesta to replace Hamilton and Perez gone to Ferrari to replace Massa. Perez may edge out as the slightly better driver, but I think there is more to see from Di Riesta in a better car. It would have been nice to have kept that British feel about the team.

#25 OP +i11usive

i11usive

Neowinian Senior

• 2,273 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S5

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:47

I think this is a crazy move, solely motivated by money. Bigger salary from Merc, and also they're allowing him to produce his own brand - which McLaren were not.

#26 JoeC

JoeC

Ooh, shiny stars

• 1,998 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:16

I think this is a crazy move, solely motivated by money.

Oh no, someone moving job for more money :) That doesn't happen every day.

Seriously though, you can be all high-and-mighty about "oh he's just moving for money, what a greedy bugger", but if you were in his position, you'd very much consider doing the same. And sure, you can just say "But he's more likely to win the WDC at McLaren, you can't put a price on that" and all that, which is fine (and true), but WDCs don't buy you expensive new toys :p