question

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 September 2012 - 20:13

The OMAP4460 is the same CPU used in the Galaxy Nexus. It's by no means sluggish but the Snapdragon S4 and Tegra 3 of the GN are more powerful). Although in reality if you only use the device for media consumption it shouldn't matter a great deal.

Edit: The fire has a 4470 which is actually significantly faster than the 4460, and has dual channel memory support which the T3 lacks. The 4470 should be a match for the Tegra 3

#17 OP FMH

FMH

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 September 2012 - 21:34

The OMAP4460 is the same CPU used in the Galaxy Nexus. It's by no means sluggish but the Snapdragon S4 and Tegra 3 of the GN are more powerful). Although in reality if you only use the device for media consumption it shouldn't matter a great deal.

Edit: The fire has a 4470 which is actually significantly faster than the 4460, and has dual channel memory support which the T3 lacks. The 4470 should be a match for the Tegra 3

Okay. Thanks.

#18 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:38

I had the original Fire and hated it. It's mostly for Amazon content. I've since gotten a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 inch and love it. I use it all the time, including posting right now.

#19 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:27

Not everyone has bought into Apple's closed ecosystem so to many of us nothing Apple releases matters

Not sure why the defensive attitude. The OP never stated that he does not want us to recommend an Apple product. Surely, unless the OP states it, you cant speak for him, right?

#20 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:19

Not everyone has bought into Apple's closed ecosystem so to many of us nothing Apple releases matters

If you don't want to use Google's services, how open is the Android ecosystem?

#21 mikearnill

mikearnill

Mikearnil

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:22

I would like to go with nexus 7. It would be kind of smart bet, it have lovely design simple user controls and have brilliant user interface.

#22 UKDarkJedi

UKDarkJedi

Neowinian

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:00

Nexus 7 for me too, seems to tick all your boxes, plus XDA have just unlocked 720p front facing camera, which is interesting (to me at least) wonder what else is hidden away?

#23 AbandonedTrolley

AbandonedTrolley

Dexter Freak

Posted 10 September 2012 - 13:18

I've got the N7 and it's blazingly fast. As others have mentioned without rooting then you are stuck with a rather cut down and tailored version of Android on the Kindle Fire. Storage issues can be solved by rooting and installing stickmount allowing the N7 to read from USB sticks.

#24 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 6/Nexus 5

Posted 10 September 2012 - 13:31

Definitely Kindle HD. The specs and screen are brilliant. You can always root and install a custom rom on Kindle HD. I'm sure the device will be quite popular and will be picked by many devs.

Nope - the Nexus 7 will definitely have a better dev. community than any Kindle device simply because it is priced competitively, has great specs, and is the pure Android experience.

Unless you are a Prime member, then I see no reason to even consider a Kindle or Nook. The Nexus 7 is the "goto" tablet for Android. You'd be crazy for considering something else (at least in the realm of Android devices).

#25 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:12

Nexus 7. It's a rather easy choice, it has access to Google Play, the Fire HD has a much more limited selection.

#26 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:39

Unless you live in the US, the Kindle Fire is pretty useless. It's a "Services" device more than anything else. But even if you live in the US, I would still recommend the Nexus as it gives you a pure Google experience.

#27 OP FMH

FMH

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 September 2012 - 18:10

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Very helpful.

Getting Nexus 7. :)

#28 JaseChaos

JaseChaos

Neowinian

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:59

Smart choice. I just got my Nexus 7 and I love it. Rooted it and put SmoothROM on it with a custom kernel. Blazing fast and loads better than any tablet Amazon will put out.