#16 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• 2,686 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 12 September 2012 - 15:28

I was the same in that sense

When i was at college i drank heavily

at the peak time i was drinking 35 pints of beer on a night out and not getting drunk

I stopped drinking for 3 years and now just drink on occasion

I have had 4 beers since 01/01/2012 and dont miss it in the slightest

It was not a problem for me though i did not need to drink it just when i did drink i drunk loads

#17 mps69

mps69

Neowinian

• 827 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 15:32

Well done getting the monkey off your back, I take my hat off to you.
I've never really been addicted to anything, but I've cut my drinking right back. I used drink most nights during the week, and heavily at the weekend. One day I just got fed up feeling like crap every time woke up. Now I just have a couple and stop, and to be honest I enjoy it more now.
I'm curious, how and why did you start?
Also as best you can, can you describe the feeling you got when you using, (sight, sounds smells) and how long it lasted?

#18 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

• 1,014 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 15:42

Recovery is a daily thing. It takes immense strength to overcome and a complete life restructuring. It isn't something most can see thru on a long-term without support.

Age/Sex/Loc? (just continent or general area)

Did you ever try other drugs?
Do you consider alcohol a drug/do you use alcohol still?
How long did you use oxy for and what caused you to?

When you say $500 of use per day, how much 'dope' will that get you? like pills or weight
Did you ever get a bad/adulterated batch?

How hard and often did you administer? oral, smoked, insufflated, banged?

Are you scared that someday you will be severely hurt and administered oxycodone/morphine via IV, and it rehatch the addiction?

#19 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,756 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 15:50

Good luck with the not-drinking :) It can be very challenging at times.

Thanks. (Y) I can't see it being too big of an issue, other people will just have to deal with a grumpier, more introvert me for a month. (Y)

I remember dabbling with coke for a while. I was seeing a girl and she was in to it so we would do a couple of lines every so often and party it up. The last time I touched the stuff was last summer at a club with some friends, and I made the instant connection between doing coke and then having a streaming nose for the next week so I made the decision to not try it again. I can't imagine the idea of being addicted to it, though.

#20 syobon999

syobon999

Neowinian

• 373 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 20:45

1 - why do you think we care?
2 - why do you hate this forum and want to turn it in reddit?

#21 scootergirl

scootergirl

Neowinian

• 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:59

My husband is a recent recovering opiate addict. I just got a prescription for narcotic pain relievers.......do I keep this hidden from him? I hate lying, but I dont want any temptations or relapses.

#22 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:07

My husband is a recent recovering opiate addict. I just got a prescription for narcotic pain relievers.......do I keep this hidden from him? I hate lying, but I dont want any temptations or relapses.

If you think for a second he won't be able to keep himself from taking them as an ex-addict myself I say better safe then sorry and hide them. It's not lying if it will save his life.

#23 scootergirl

scootergirl

Neowinian

• 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:43

If you think for a second he won't be able to keep himself from taking them as an ex-addict myself I say better safe then sorry and hide them. It's not lying if it will save his life.

Were you married or with someone when you quit? i'm looking for suggestions....things that were helpful to you, things to avoid....

#24 +RedReddington

RedReddington

member_id=28229

• 9,853 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:34

I actually like this idea for a thread. So why did you start using? Peer Pressure? Coping Mechanism? etc...

#25 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 13:00

How do you think that your path would have been different if the illicit drugs you used were legal, making them cheap enough to afford using only your legitimate full time job (without compromising other basic living expenses)?

If you could get cheaper drugs by having to see someone whose job is to try to help you out of using it (i.e. Doctor or other health worker) with no obligation to have to listen to them, would you do it? Do you think that it would have helped get you off sooner if you had someone who could potentially help you every time you bought drugs or got high?

What is your overall stance on legalising all illicit (recreational/addictive) drugs?

#26 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

• 881 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 15:18

Strange thread.

#27 EddieZ

EddieZ

Old school Neowinian

• 161 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 15:29

Strange thread.

If it helps someone in staying off drugs...why wonder. I greatly respect those who successfully battle against addictions.

#28 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 29 December 2012 - 15:31

Were you married or with someone when you quit? i'm looking for suggestions....things that were helpful to you, things to avoid....

No I was single but I did things I couldn't imagine doing now that I'm sober. I stole from my family and friends, sold their belongings at the local pawn shops. Some people think addicts don't care about people they steal from but its not like that. When I took stuff from family I didn't look at it like I was stealing all I thought was the good feeling I was gonna get my next fix. That's why I said if you think for a second he will take them then yes hide them, he won't be thinking he's stealing your pills, just that he's gonna get a fix.

#29 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• 12,231 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 16:08

do I keep this hidden from him?

Yes.

#30 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:12

You don't have to lie, but it doesn't mean that you have to tell him something either when SHOULDN'T need to know.

For example, "Your best friend tried to hit on me" would be something that he SHOULD know. That is in his interest to know because it could put pressure on your relationship if he didn't know.
For example, "I saw a purple car pass by when I went to the Supermarket" would be something that he SHOULDN'T need to know. This is not in his interest, because he simply wouldn't care.

In this example, "I have opiates from the Doctor which I am hiding from you" would be something that he SHOULDN'T need to know. This is not in his interest (because it could be harmful to his health to know this, as it could put an undue temptation to go looking for them or to put pressure on you to give up your hiding place)