General Motors losing $49G on each Volt sold

The Volt is NOT a hybrid. If you want to call it a Hybrid as it has about a 2-3 gallon supply of gas so be it.

This proves that you don't have any clue what you are talking about.

Yea that's what I thought. Could have swore it was the full electric car. Just read up on it. The combustion engine it has is only used if you fail to charge the car. Otherwise, it is perfectly capable of running electric only.

"Instead General Motors describes the Volt as an electric vehicle equipped with a "range extending" gasoline powered internal combustion engine (ICE)"

But not quite, the car still occasionally uses gas at high speeds if it's more beneficial to the fuel savings, and it will occasionally cycle gas through so that it doesn't just sit in the tank.

It's a hybrid. You can run it mostly electric, but it's still a hybrid.

But not quite, the car still occasionally uses gas at high speeds if it's more beneficial to the fuel savings, and it will occasionally cycle gas through so that it doesn't just sit in the tank.

It's a hybrid. You can run it mostly electric, but it's still a hybrid.

Well regardless of what exactly is, I would say this product line needs to be retired and put into another car. The harder parts of the research are done. Now do a real marketing campaign on something the public actually wants.

That being said, I hope to god politicians are not the ones driving these decisions. Business is not like politics. You can't throw money at it and make the issue go away. Would be interesting to find out why they stopped production for a month. You don't stop production in order to change the number of cars being made. You just leave it open for less hours. A complete shut down points to more going on in the background.

It is a Hybrid that is advertised as a Electric vehicle because the amount of gas it contains is for emergency use to get you back home as there are no charging stations unless you happen to work at GM.

It is a Hybrid that is advertised as a Electric vehicle because the amount of gas it contains is for emergency use to get you back home as there are no charging stations unless you happen to work at GM.

Oh so NOW you think it's a hybrid..

Oh so NOW you think it's a hybrid..

No it is an Electric Car as advertised. It has a very small amount of Gas. Not enough that you would classify it as a hybrid as you would not be able to go cross country in it unless you want a two week trip. The reason that production was stopped is that no one is buying this car. A true affordable electric vehicle is probably never going to be built due to the oil industry.

I hope people don't want R&D into AFV to stop just because of one car "apparently" making a loss.

I don't get why Americans love to drive in mini tanks around the street causing heath problems.

I guess america likes big things , there cars, there houses , there stomachs, there guns, there egos and there debt.

Remember, Bush gave Free grants to the banks with no strings attached, 800 billion or so. They're the folks that then used part of it to pay outrageous bonuses for running the business in the ground. They could do anything they want with it and never give a penny back.

The auto bailout as mentioned was a loan that is almost paid back with interest. Ford was the only major car manufacturer that didn't accept any money from the Feds.

I realize Republicans and Obama haters don't believe in 'fact checking' but here you have the facts.

You mean like the fact that that bailout from the Bush era demanded the car companies restructure? Funny that you say others should do fact checking when you got something so simple wrong. Or the fact that Democrats controlled both the house and the senate when that bail out was voted and passed... You should probably make sure you are 100% correct before making blanket insults.

Actually, unlike the Bush debt, OBama didn't give money to these companies, he gave them loans, which are almost paid back. The government is MAKING money off the loans. You fail.

GM was given $50 billion in TARP loans. They repaid 6.7 billion, and somehow this is a financial windfall for the American taxpayer. Liberal logic at it's finest.

With people like you voting it's no wonder the USA is in the trouble that they are.

So says someone in England, a country that has been in managed decline for the last 50 years.

I hope people don't want R&D into AFV to stop just because of one car "apparently" making a loss.

I don't get why Americans love to drive in mini tanks around the street causing heath problems.

I guess america likes big things , there cars, there houses , there stomachs, there guns, there egos and there debt.

What we like to do or not do is none of your business.

I hope this is not true. I mean I have not seen many on the road either. This is sad.

It's a partial truth. Right now, very few have sold. Up to $1.2 bilion was spend on R&D. That cost is divided by the total sold to figure out the current profit margin on the cars. I am oversimplifing the math, but the actual profit, or lack there of is somewhat like this.

Profit per car = Final Sale Price minus cost to make car minus the quotient of the cost of R&D divided by total cars sold

Because not many cars have been sold to date, the profits will be negative for a very long time and possibly forever if the marketing team can't turn around the sales forcasts.

Why The Government needs to stay out of the auto business.

The guy in the center looks like a complete douche. That "Nov 6 sigh" cracked me up. Sorry, douchebag. The only thing that's going to happen on November 6 is your boy is getting spanked.

The Volt is not a hybrid. It's not. Here's why- The car only uses the electric motor/s to provide power to the wheels and uses the internal combustion engine to charge the batteries and NOT power the wheels. This is in contrast to the Prius that has both (which... makes it a hybrid) an electric motor AND an internal combustion engine to provide power to the wheels.

/Volt is not a hybrid

Charging stations for the electric portion of hybrids (not just the Volt, but other plug-in hybrids such as Nissan's Leaf) exist - however, they are pricey. (Part of the all-in cost of such plug-in hybrids is the installation of the charging station in the owner's home - which requires non-insignificant changes to the owner's home wiring grid.) Those other costs are why *all* AFVs (not just electricity-based hybrids, but even flex-fuel vehicles and CNG-powered vehicles) are mainly viable in commercial and business (including farm) use - not everyday residential use.

Mostly-gasoline-powered hybrids (such as the Prius, which was originally planned as all-electric and mostly-electric, similar to the Volt) are cheaper to build *and* more suitable for residential use because they don't require as many changes for the owner (they are similar in operation to traditionally-powered cars). An AFV (all of them) is a lifestyle choice - and an expensive one.

I have never owned a car, but if I ever decide to get one it would be an EV.

Something along the lines of a Tesla Roadster.

Zero interest in petrol driven vehicles.

I hope all major automakers push ahead with their electric vehicle initiatives.

The Volt is not a hybrid. It's not. Here's why- The car only uses the electric motor/s to provide power to the wheels and uses the internal combustion engine to charge the batteries and NOT power the wheels. This is in contrast to the Prius that has both (which... makes it a hybrid) an electric motor AND an internal combustion engine to provide power to the wheels.

/Volt is not a hybrid

That's just arguing semantics.