Photo

Battlefield 3 Premium Edition PC Canceled?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

Posted 11 September 2012 - 00:02

Received an email today from EA saying my preorder of the BF3 Premium Edition for PC was canceled due to "the product will not release as expected". Anyone else receive this email?

I'm wondering if it will come out at all - I would think if there was a delay they would just say so, not cancel the entire thing. Now I'm debating on whether to even get BF3 for PC, as the Premium Edition was a nice chunk of savings.

#2 OP mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:22

Just found this http://battlelog.bat...54348219633192/

Appears EA fubar'd something. I am able to download the Limited Edition. Hopefully I will get my other DLC packs unlocked as well (REALLY want to play Armored Kill!)

#3 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:26

Just looked it up, I cannot believe I have to wait until the 25th to play Armored Kill on the PC. That is just stupid.
Oh well, they could very well be shooting themselves in the foot with this stupid plan of theirs. By then I will have Borderlands 2, so I very well may not even pick up Armored Kill, even though I was very much looking forward to it.

#4 OP mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:06

Just looked it up, I cannot believe I have to wait until the 25th to play Armored Kill on the PC. That is just stupid.
Oh well, they could very well be shooting themselves in the foot with this stupid plan of theirs. By then I will have Borderlands 2, so I very well may not even pick up Armored Kill, even though I was very much looking forward to it.

Yeah, you might be right, Larry. The console exclusive stuff is one thing but to apply that to PC as well...asinine, really. The PC community got this series to where it is today.

#5 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:11

I bought BF 3 LE, and got back to Karkand free for the preorder. When they announced Premium and it included Karkand with no discount for Aussies (US got $10 off IIRC), I declined.

Haven't played it since.

#6 +SOOPRcow

SOOPRcow

Neowinian

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:19

I bought BF 3 LE, and got back to Karkand free for the preorder. When they announced Premium and it included Karkand with no discount for Aussies (US got $10 off IIRC), I declined.

Haven't played it since.

If you do the math, Close Quarters, Armored Kill, Aftermath, and Endgame all being $15 sold separately still comes to $60 (still saves you $10 of the $50). So basically its a great deal if you don't already have Karkand and still a good deal even if you do. You're not paying twice for the same thing and in fact you never paid for it, and you get early access at a lower cost. If you enjoy the game there really is no reason to not buy it.

Also, all $ is in USD but if you look at the link bellow its till $50 in AU which is pretty much the same cost after the exchange rate.

http://www.battlefie...ield3/1/premium

#7 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:36

If you do the math <snip>

I did, and while it does work out cheaper, they promised Premium users would get "early access" to the packs, this doesn't appear to be the case now [for PC users]. Plus the fact they stiffed AU customers with having no discount...

I'll see how it shapes up later I guess, but i'm not convinced by EA...

#8 +SOOPRcow

SOOPRcow

Neowinian

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:32

I did, and while it does work out cheaper, they promised Premium users would get "early access" to the packs, this doesn't appear to be the case now [for PC users]. Plus the fact they stiffed AU customers with having no discount...

I'll see how it shapes up later I guess, but i'm not convinced by EA...

PC users do get early access which starts on the 11th (tomorrow) instead of the normal PC release date of the 25th. True it wasn't as early as the PS3 version but it's still two weeks early.

Also, How did AU users not get a discount when the price is basically the same as the US version? Googling I'm seen stories of incorrect early pricing for the AU version on the PS3 but from what I can tell it was corrected, maybe that is where your bias started?

#9 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 17 September 2012 - 16:21

PC users do get early access which starts on the 11th (tomorrow) instead of the normal PC release date of the 25th. True it wasn't as early as the PS3 version but it's still two weeks early.

Also, How did AU users not get a discount when the price is basically the same as the US version? Googling I'm seen stories of incorrect early pricing for the AU version on the PS3 but from what I can tell it was corrected, maybe that is where your bias started?

Yep, premium players are playing AK before general release. UK users didn't get any refund either.

I preordered and collected in person at midnight LE and bought premium after I did the maths (even with B2K), pity it wasn't like steam though and you could donate your "spare" B2K.

Battlefield has always been my primary game since bf42.
The extras are nice and all but early access is the nicest part of the deal.

I think all in all so far the expansions have each brought a different slant to the battlefield game, and its all the better for it, has been good value for money so far I reckon.
I have to say, the AK maps really are so stunningly detailed and textures are even more complex than before, the sand on the desert map looks amazing face in it to up high in the aircraft, a beautiful landscape to be seen.

#10 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:12

Yep, premium players are playing AK before general release. UK users didn't get any refund either.

I preordered and collected in person at midnight LE and bought premium after I did the maths (even with B2K), pity it wasn't like steam though and you could donate your "spare" B2K.

Battlefield has always been my primary game since bf42.
The extras are nice and all but early access is the nicest part of the deal.

I think all in all so far the expansions have each brought a different slant to the battlefield game, and its all the better for it, has been good value for money so far I reckon.
I have to say, the AK maps really are so stunningly detailed and textures are even more complex than before, the sand on the desert map looks amazing face in it to up high in the aircraft, a beautiful landscape to be seen.

Actually, Steam doesn't allow you to accumulate extra copies of games from other bundles (unless you bought a 4 pack). For example, you wouldn't get an extra copy of Half-Life 2 if you already owned it after buying The Orange Box.

#11 +SOOPRcow

SOOPRcow

Neowinian

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:18

Actually, Steam doesn't allow you to accumulate extra copies of games from other bundles (unless you bought a 4 pack). For example, you wouldn't get an extra copy of Half-Life 2 if you already owned it after buying The Orange Box.

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that you would be able to gift those extra copies to other people. In fact, I still have a copy of Half Life 2 Episode 1 and Portal that I can gift to people. Is it something they only do with Valve games?

#12 Napalm Frog

Napalm Frog

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:26

This is only true for a few select bundles, mainly Valve ones. Third party games rarely offer this.

#13 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:01

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that you would be able to gift those extra copies to other people. In fact, I still have a copy of Half Life 2 Episode 1 and Portal that I can gift to people. Is it something they only do with Valve games?

Half-Life 2 and The Orange Box was a bad example. You can gift extra copies of games from specific cases (see here).

#14 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:08

For a split second there I read "Battlefield Pentium 3 Edition Canceled". :laugh: