Where were you on 9/11?

I was 19.7 miles from the towers on my way to work in Linden, NJ. I was actually running late.

I was listening to Howard Stern as I always did, so I knew a plane had hit the first tower, but at the time, it was being reported as a smaller private plane.

I actually could see the towers from Route 1&9 in the skyline, so I started to see the smoke from the first plane, and walked into work.

People at my work did not know anything had happened, so I told them and we immediately put on the radio (once again Howard), and we all decided to take a walk across to the street to the Bagel Store to pick up some breakfast and check out the TV they had.

As I was at the counter waiting for my breakfast sandwich, I was watching the Live feed on Channel 4 news of the first tower smoking, and BAM, saw the 2nd plane hit Live. Right then and there I knew something was terribly wrong, as did everyone else. not sure how or why, but I said it was a terrorist attack, and no offense to everyone at work, but I was going home ASAP to be with my family in case something else happened. I also did not like being so close to Oil Refineries and Port Newark, both places I felt the terrorists could potentially target.

I did not even wait for my breakfast sandwich, I headed home and because my parents were so cool, my house turned into the house all of my friends wound up coming to throughout the day. The last of my friends to show up actually worked right across from the towers in NJ. Literally right across the hudson river at The Waterfront (Google maps Ground Zero, the Waterfront is to the left across the water). He was pale I had just seen a ghost white and teary eyed. Pretty much in shock. He saw (and felt) both planes hit. it took him hours to get home from the panic. I believe he even saw people jumping from the buildings. So just seeing his reaction to everything and watching it on TV, it really was pretty intense.

I also found out a day or two later a girl I knew pretty damn good, a friend of mine was dating her best friend and we all hung out for basically a summer, died in the towers. She was actually there on a job interview. So I had 1 degree of separation. The company my father worked for at the time also had an office in the towers, and 25 of their employees died as well.

So yeah, living in NJ provided a pretty unique perspective on the whole event.

I am not a fan of making the day itself into an ?event? (thus I don?t like all the where were you kind of stuff) but I mourn the loss of life as with the millions dead from wars worldwide. I was in primary school when we were allowed home immediately I believe I was watching the second tower go down live with my family.

I was in Australia. So it happened really early in the morning (after midnight). I remember the next day and for a whole week after, all cartoons were cancelled so that news channels could cover the events.

I was sick and i was at home because of that. I watched tv and changed the channels and then suddenly there was the live broadcast on CNN with the smoking towers. I watched the collapses in live.

I was asleep for all of it. I was woken up the next morning asking if I'd seen the news, and then I was glued to the TV.

Life changed from that day on.

I was walking past a "pachinko" parlour in Osaka and wondering why the was a crowd of people outside staring at a small TV in the window. I had a quick look and thought to myself "Oh, a building is on fire; big deal." Got home just in time to see the second plane hit, and to realize that it was a very big deal indeed.

I was starting my sophmore year of college - Woke up and turned the tv on to see it. I knew some people in New York so i was frantically trying to see if they were ok. Headed off to class around 9:30 to get to my 10AM class and the teacher had actually sat us down, said 'there was no way we'd have any sort of focus to learn today..go be with your family' and canceled class. Got back home in time to see the towers fall and the pentagon got attacked as i was driving into school.

(weird thing about 9/11 for me was 2 weeks prior i had a very detailed premonition about it - didn't realize it until the day of what i had seen) :s :|

Walking to my grade 10 English class. I remember someone running down the hall yelling "they attacked the twin towers".

At the time I had no idea what had really happened, or what the twin towers were, until I got home and watched all the news coverage. Terrible day :( even as a Canadian.

I was 20, living in Minnesota at the time.... Slept through all the attacks, because I was a 2nd shifter and went to bed at like 5am.... I first heard something on the radio around 2pm about a terrible tragedy, but the entire drive to work (which was probably about 10 minutes give or take) they didn't say WHAT had happened, other than there could be thousands upon thousands dead.

I got to work and said, "What the $%*$ is going on out there????"

And that's when my sis-in-law told me about the world trade center towers and the pentagon... I was speechless.... It was just insane. I think we turned on some news coverage, but by then, the towers had already fallen, so I pretty much slept through it all.

got home from work as i was 3rd shift at the time (i am in Eastern time zone) and i believe i was going to watch some re-runs of the TV show MacGyver and then seen it on the news and was wondering what the hell was happening etc.

i would have been a bit over a month shy of my 22nd b-day back on Sep 11th 2001.

Was sat at my desk at home playing Counter Strike and someone told everyone on server to turn on your TV, I was watching the tower smoking then a minute or so later the second plane hit.

I was living in Los Angeles at the time. I had worked in NYC until August 1999, when I moved to LA. My mother-in-law called us while we will still sleeping and told us to turn on the TV.

I turned it on, at that time both towers had fallen and I thought an earthquake happened in NYC. Rare, but there was an earthquake a few weeks before 9/11.

Then I saw the entire story and broke down in tears. I went to work that day, but I went home early. You didn't know how far this was going to go. The Pentagon was hit and I was stunned.

I have lived though a little bit. Ronald Regan getting shot (was in grade school when this happened), Space Shuttles blowing up,and the Gulf War, but I have never had anything like September 11th, 2001.

Home sleeping in bed...Yeah it was all over TV but, I didn't bother watching it not even cared to hear about it from others. I know when I was getting my class ring I had gotten a flag on one side and my mom said "You'll never forget what happened in September." tbh I told her I could care less what happened, and it doesn't affect me in any way shape or form...Harsh but true.

Home sleeping in bed...Yeah it was all over TV but, I didn't bother watching it not even cared to hear about it from others. I know when I was getting my class ring I had gotten a flag on one side and my mom said "You'll never forget what happened in September." tbh I told her I could care less what happened, and it doesn't affect me in any way shape or form...Harsh but true.

Emotionless and heartless. I hope TSA gives you special treatment next time you fly ;)

was at home with my home tutor. i couldnt care less because i had seen worse... the prime minister being blown up with explosives at a much younger age... went about life as usual... later when i learnt of the conspiracy angle that was more shocking than the event itself.

I was at home doing nothing when a schoolmate called and informed me of the tragedy. At first it seemed as if he was over reacting (remember Im an Indian so It didn't effect us directly) later as the days would pass this would become the most discussed topic amongst one and all.