Will the iPhone 5 do it for you vs. Lumia 920

I bought many many many iOS apps in the last 2-3 years, including some expensive ones (25~30$ per app)? Even if I like Windows Phone, I don?t see me buying a Windows Phone device. I?ll stick with my 4S, and buy a 5S?! in two years.

Hardware doesn?t make a platform better? apps do. And I have too much to lose by buying a Windows Phone/Android device.

$30 for an app? Ouch! :huh:

Getting locked in to eco systems sucks balls, and is exactly where they want us :( Still, you can always switch and comeback at a later date.

How thick is the Lumia 920 actually? I just need it to be thinner than the iPhone 4/4S.

http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/products/phone/lumia920/specifications/

Height

130.3 mm

Width

70.8 mm

Thickness1

10.7 mm

Weight

185 g

Volume

99 cm³

The Lumia is undoubtedly larger and thinness is about the only thing the iPhone has going for it (although, despite Apple's claims it's not the thinnest phone available).

Apple has done a really awesome job at locking us into their ecosystem. To be fair, Android and WP users are probably in the same boat after they have some apps that they depend on.

Since I require an unlocked phone for my pay-as-you-go service provider, if my iPhone 4 were to break today I'd probably go with the Nokia 920 if it wasn't more than $500 unlocked. Otherwise I would probably get the latest Galaxy Nexus (or w/e it is called) because Google is selling those for $350 unlocked. Hard to beat that price.

I've thought about the possibility of buying something used if ever my phone goes south. Still an option but I'm hesitant to buy something like that used online.

I cant say their is anything wrong with the iPhone 5 but Apple has lost its edge against competitors and has nothing to really make it standout from phones like the Galaxy s3, One X and lumia 920. However being an iPhone it will sell well and Apple will do it all over gain about a year from now.

Man I didn't realize that the Lumia 920 is that thick, even thicker than the iPhone 4/4S which by todays standards is thick.

I own a Nokia Lumia 900 and it feels really solid in my hands.

I'm really not going to mind the thickness when I make the switch over. Of course, it will take a little adjusting, but I personally won't mind it. I rather take the changes that are being done instead of just upgrading to the same phone I already have (basically).

And, how long have iPhone and Android been out compared to Windows Phone? Three and two years, respectively. So, looking at it that way, Pay Pal has arrived 22 months into WP's lifespan. Sounds about right to me.

This argument can be kicked back if we put on the table that Windows Phone 7 is the 7th iteration of the phone.

That they were trying a different approach and that they redesigned almost everything from scratch... that's another story.

I'm an Android guy but if I had to pick between iPhone 5 and a Windows 8 phone it would have to be an iPhone. IOS apps blow Windows away right now. Things might be different in a year or two.

Wouldn't want to have to repay for something I already paid for once, not to mention losing the data I've collected in my medical apps which would be lost if those same apps even exist in the WP8 environment.

Hi, can you tell me which medical apps do you use?

I wonder what are all this unique and important iphone apps people have invested so much money on? What do they do?

I use atomic browser for everything thats my only greatest investment in the app store. I think all this people got brainwashed or something into giving their money away and now they are like trapped in the apple world, thats sad lol.

In my opinion smartphones should aim to give users the same experience they would get on a desktop os and thats where i see windows phone is heading so good for them

I will be upgrading my iPhone 4 to the 5, I am waiting to see how the WP8 ecosystem works as well as OS upgrades, as Apple shines in keeping older mobile devices OS upgraded compared to the competition. Microsoft did a good job trying to keep as much of the WP7 handsets upgraded on the 7.x line, will see what they have in store for 8.x I figure by the time I can upgrade again from the iPhone 5, there will be a bit more WP8 devices, I'm just not sure about the 4.5" screen on the 920, I've seen the GS3's in person and though that was really big for a phone to be honest.

Yes. I have too many prefered apps and investments to even bother thinking about changing platforms, and I am very happy with the iOS platform in general.

Even though I work as a MCITP consultant on Lync, Exchange and other MS technologies I still prefer iOS. The main reason is that I also work with specific Cisco TelePresence technologies which are supported on iOS but not on Windows Phone or Android.

It would take a lot of functionality to make me switch platforms - simply due to the fact that I have so many specific apps I use for many, many things which are not available on Windows Phone and/or Android.

• Like 1

Nope, still trading in my work phone iPhone 4S for a Lumia when it comes out. As a Windows Admin for Exchange, Lync, SharePoint and Server, it just makes sense. Plus, unlike WP 7, there will be Citrix access for WP 8.

Yea i have a Windows 7 phone, and looking forward to seeing the Nokia Windows 8 Phone. Im also interested im the iPhone 5, but im not 100% sold on it. Want to upgrade but still deciding.

The world is getting worse every day and all people talk about is the f***** iPhone 5 and smartphone specs.

That's what a I call escapism.

:x

Right because we all should only talk about sad stuff. Oh by the way, all the sports players and musicians are a complete waste in this world because they could instead be out solving life's problems and digging wells in Africa, etc... no one needs entertainment, no one needs fun. We all need to focus on sad stuff.

/s

Obviously by looking at the charts i know which one I am definitely going to buy - Lumia that is

iPhone5Lumia920.png

Actually- The Windows phones have the "TellMe" Voice Assistant in their OS, which seems to work better than Siri- I have a Lumia 900 and my wife has an iPhone 4S and the TellMe kicks Siri's butt every time. I feel bad for my wife when she tries to use Siri... I hope she'll upgrade to a WP8 phone shortly, but she's locked into this "but I've spent so much on my Apps" conundrum too...

Actually- The Windows phones have the "TellMe" Voice Assistant in their OS, which seems to work better than Siri- I have a Lumia 900 and my wife has an iPhone 4S and the TellMe kicks Siri's butt every time. I feel bad for my wife when she tries to use Siri... I hope she'll upgrade to a WP8 phone shortly, but she's locked into this "but I've spent so much on my Apps" conundrum too...

I have never seen people use Siri in the wild whereas I use TellMe almost every day. :laugh: This is obviously limited to my experience but Siri was nothing but marketing to sell an incremental update (4S).

Right because we all should only talk about sad stuff. Oh by the way, all the sports players and musicians are a complete waste in this world because they could instead be out solving life's problems and digging wells in Africa, etc... no one needs entertainment, no one needs fun. We all need to focus on sad stuff.

/s

Screw Africa.

We just should not focus only on iPhones and smartphones in general. But screw everyone about that. ;)

I currently have an iPhone 4S and before this I had an iPhone 3GS.

Personally I can't see myself upgrading to the iPhone 5. It doesn't impress me that much, the hardware looks nicer the screen is obviously an improvement but those upgrades aren't really enough to make me upgrade. I'm going to stick with my iPhone 4S until iOS 7 comes out and if that offers some of the features I want then yes I'll upgrade to the iPhone 5 but if it doesn't I'm going to buy the next Google Nexus phone an sell my iPhone 4S.

For me the iPhone hardware is like a platform and if iOS 7 turns out to be really excellent I'd upgrade because I want the fastest hardware and the largest screen to run that platform. But right now iOS 6 is pretty meh so I don't see why I'd upgrade my hardware to run it especially when if things don't improve I will move to Android.

Windows Phone to me is a total joke of an operating system. This is just my opinion obviously so don't get angry at me if you're a Windows Phone fan. I certainly wouldn't upgrade to one but if the Lumia 800 had shipped with Android I would have bought one a long time ago.

Don't see TellMe better than Siri. Well all voice controls just sucks to me...