need help with hp exsi PLEASE ..

Question

hi, basically i am trying to install the hp exsi vm on a HP server but I have no idea what im doing really... how do i install this? do i need an OS first or is this a framework after install that I add OS to after I thought it was the latter ... I "burnt" it to a usb drive and tried to boot from it but it seems to be failing

any ideas

I love threads like this! So you have no idea about ESX but you need to install it. OK well be in for a bit of a shock. What are your skills with Servers/Networks like because its not an easy subject. You install ESX as your operating system then you need some kind of management server (Or client if you are just connecting one host). Give us more detail. What kind of enviroment are you going to be running this in?

Edit:Double post. How are you installing it? What error are you getting? Surely if you got to the installing stage you would know that ESX does not require an Operating system (Apart from the Virtual Machines you are going to be creating) Do you have any basic Linux skills? Did you see the list of pre reqs for the ESX courses ;-) Its not simple ...

I love threads like this! So you have no idea about ESX but you need to install it. OK well be in for a bit of a shock. What are your skills with Servers/Networks like because its not an easy subject. You install ESX as your operating system then you need some kind of management server (Or client if you are just connecting one host). Give us more detail. What kind of enviroment are you going to be running this in?

I hav a CCNC (dont laugh :p ) and i own 3 servers and rent 2 I have run several web severs which I set up from scratch my self using linux....

I know my stuff just never used this server or esx before its a beast of a machine Im splitting it into 6 machines to use its potential.... for the momment its going to be a server behind a home setup untillI get it fully working then it will be moved to a business set up with 3 other physical machines it will be remote accessed before and after the move by ssh but will also have physical access until after the initial set up.

basically what i am having trouble with is actual installation.... like I said burnt it to a usb drive ... cant seem to boot it from usb drive ... does not want to work ... I dont have an CDs/DVDs (didnt really plan that much ahead I thought to my self about an hour ago ... i have time now so il do some work)

Well VMWare do a great set of management tools so you hardly ever need to touch the command line but its nice to dabble. Anyway you install ESX as your base OS. Then use a workstation to connect to it (Management Interface IP) And provision your Storage/VM's from there. Download the vSphere client to your workstation.

Well VMWare do a great set of management tools so you hardly ever need to touch the command line but its nice to dabble. Anyway you install ESX as your base OS. Then use a workstation to connect to it (Management Interface IP) And provision your Storage/VM's from there. Download the vSphere client to your workstation.

cool i shall :) any suggestions on the install said ESX? O.o I found one way but to do this way I need to find an old version of syslinux

What flavor of esxi? 4, 4.1, 5?

Where did you get the install for esxi - from HP or from vmware? Either or works, but if HP hardware I would prob go with the one from HP because it should have some of the extras about that their specific hardware are part of the install.

Install is pretty straight forward, follow the bouncing ball to be honest. If your not able to boot the usb you created. Either you created it wrong, or the machine is not setup to boot from usb?

Where did you get the install, and what instructions did you follow for creating the usb? I installed esxi 5 on my hp n40l from usb I created - and its pretty freaking straight forward so without some info hard to say where you issue is.

You don't NEED anything other then the install from either vmware or hp for esxi. Again where did you get the install file from, are you trying to convert a ISO to usb? Let me look up the instructions for usb install.

edit: Are you wanting to run esxi from the USB or just use it to install to the hard drive? Here are instructions for installing to usb from vmware

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2004784

As to just creating a bootable usb with esxi install on it to install to your HDD on your box. I just used unetbootin to create it if I recall. Just point to your iso and then your usb and off you go.

What flavor of esxi? 4, 4.1, 5?

Where did you get the install for esxi - from HP or from vmware? Either or works, but if HP hardware I would prob go with the one from HP because it should have some of the extras about that their specific hardware are part of the install.

Install is pretty straight forward, follow the bouncing ball to be honest. If your not able to boot the usb you created. Either you created it wrong, or the machine is not setup to boot from usb?

Where did you get the install, and what instructions did you follow for creating the usb? I installed esxi 5 on my hp n40l from usb I created - and its pretty freaking straight forward so without some info hard to say where you issue is.

You don't NEED anything other then the install from either vmware or hp for esxi. Again where did you get the install file from, are you trying to convert a ISO to usb? Let me look up the instructions for usb install.

edit: Are you wanting to run esxi from the USB or just use it to install to the hard drive? Here are instructions for installing to usb from vmware

http://kb.vmware.com...ernalId=2004784

As to just creating a bootable usb with esxi install on it to install to your HDD on your box. I just used unetbootin to create it if I recall. Just point to your iso and then your usb and off you go.

I went through the hp site which kept sticking me on the vmware site so i Just want from there I can add stuff later if needed i guess...

I used http://www.isotousb.com/ ... its really confusing I put the usb stick in and then it tried to boot from usb drive c: (I did not set it as C:) then it told me to remove drives and press any key ... I pressed the any key (ah simpsons you make me laugh) and it kept saying the same thing I then removed the usb and pressed a key and it booted up windows server 2003 (it took a mission to get that to boot I thought it was blank lol but its not accesible by me they donated HDD)

Try unetbootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ vs whatever that thing you used was - it says right on the site it only supports booting usb with windows. That is not going to work with esxi

"This software currently only support Windows bootable disk, can work with both BOOTMGR and NTLDR boot mode"

Here is customized HP iso

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=HP-ESXI-5.0.0-U1-15MAR2012&productId=229

I believe they have a 5.1 out too - let me look

Try unetbootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ vs whatever that thing you used was - it says right on the site it only supports booting usb with windows. That is not going to work with esxi

"This software currently only support Windows bootable disk, can work with both BOOTMGR and NTLDR boot mode"

Here is customized HP iso

https://my.vmware.co...2&productId=229

I believe they have a 5.1 out too - let me look

ahh i guess you should always read the fine print hey :p I was rushing :p I did a derp ... ok I shall try your suggestion

Theres a 5.1 Update? That must be VERY recent. I only checked for updates this afternoon....*goes to check again* ...

Yeah looks to have come out on the 10th of this month - couple of days ago

https://my.vmware.co...are_vsphere/5_1

I know what I am doing tonight prob, so going to put this on usb to upgrade my current 5.0u1 install so if I run into any issues with creating the usb will let you know.. but should be click click with unetbootin

cool cheers got it going now I guess it was just me being stupid and not reading the fine print on that usb crap thanks for the netbootin suggestion should of really remember that from all the linux installations last year xD cheers dudes now here is a question for you.... what should I go with server wise... im obviously going for a linux but what one O.o I was thinking ubuntu or centOS

cool cheers got it going now I guess it was just me being stupid and not reading the fine print on that usb crap thanks for the netbootin suggestion should of really remember that from all the linux installations last year xD cheers dudes now here is a question for you.... what should I go with server wise... im obviously going for a linux but what one O.o I was thinking ubuntu or centOS

Management Server?? I have only ever used Windows. There is a free one that I used on a course but I can as hell find it. It was quite good, A deployable appliance. That was based on Linux.

Yeah looks to have come out on the 10th of this month - couple of days ago

https://my.vmware.co...are_vsphere/5_1

I know what I am doing tonight prob, so going to put this on usb to upgrade my current 5.0u1 install so if I run into any issues with creating the usb will let you know.. but should be click click with unetbootin

Ditto :-D

Management Server?? I have only ever used Windows. There is a free one that I used on a course but I can as hell find it. It was quite good, A deployable appliance. That was based on Linux.

ok PLEASE dont face palm ... but when you say management server you mean a server in which I manage all the other VMs from right ?? and also im cheap... I assumed this vm thing was free ... but it said a 60 day trail ? wtf i saw no means of paying >_>

esxi is free - you can get a license from them for free

See

post-14624-0-48629200-1347480012_thumb.j

As to how to manage it -- just use the client you run off any windows host.

post-14624-0-36088700-1347480142_thumb.j

thought you said you downloaded from vmware?? In the act of downloading the free esxi you would of gotten your license code

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi5

ok PLEASE dont face palm ... but when you say management server you mean a server in which I manage all the other VMs from right ?? and also im cheap... I assumed this vm thing was free ... but it said a 60 day trail ? wtf i saw no means of paying >_>

ESX and the whole VMWare suite is Enterprise Grade. I bet many of the FTSE100 and (Fortune company's for you Americans) run VMWare. They are the industry leaders in Virtualization. You thought it was free :-S It might have been free with your server hardware which I doubt but you might have payed mega bucks for.

I don't think you get what we are telling you. You install ESX AS your BASE OS on your server hardware. Then you need a MANAGEMENT SERVER yes to manage your virtual environment from. Technically you can connect directly to one host with the vSphere Client installed on your workstation but you dont get no where near as many features but it works.

esxi is free - you can get a license from them for free

See

post-14624-0-48629200-1347480012_thumb.j

As to how to manage it -- just use the client you run off any windows host.

post-14624-0-36088700-1347480142_thumb.j

thought you said you downloaded from vmware?? In the act of downloading the free esxi you would of gotten your license code

https://my.vmware.co...er?p=free-esxi5

ESXi would have the 60 day trial though or however many days you get to run before entering a license key.

no i get it I set all that up now I manage it using vsphere through my desktop and it all seems good :) thanks I was just a bit confused my english is not very good (as i am sure you can tell) and the sentence confused me I thought I had to have a OS installed in my ESXi to manage all the others from but obviously now I know that is not the case and I am nearly done with everything :) still trying to decide on what linux to use :)

but thank you in the end it was my stupidity and lack of reading that caused the issue with the ESXi install :)

I hav a CCNC (dont laugh :p )

What exactly is a CCNC??

CCNC: Cisco Certified Network Cat

5302915975_97546dd004_b.jpg

CCNC: Cisco Certified Network Cat - Mastered it all, router and modem keeps her warm and she has a fish swimming towards her on the computer. What is she planning next?

What exactly is a CCNC??

http://www.flickr.co...rey/5302915975/

5302915975_97546dd004_b.jpg

CCNC: Cisco Certified Network Cat - Mastered it all, router and modem keeps her warm and she has a fish swimming towards her on the computer. What is she planning next?

its just a certificate in cisco xD Im on a network engineering course and with my first year came the certifcate (which I didnt even know exsisted basically means you know about ip addressing/subnetting and cables) by the end of the second I should get my ccna then the third my ccnp

No have not had a chance yet - got it download, just lazy. So did it fix the startup of vms after reboot, it was broken in 5 and you have to add entries to rc file to restart your vms - kind of hoping that got fixed.