• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#46 SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

• Phone: iPhone 6 Plus

Posted 13 September 2012 - 16:32

It was available ages ago :p

Ages ago being yesterday!?!?! I am GMT Time zone anyway so it probably came out around 10/11pm

#47 jbrooksuk

jbrooksuk

Beta meta.

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 13 September 2012 - 16:47

So... If I happened to have hold of the IPSW file without being a developer, can I install it? And if so, how, without jailbreaking?

#48 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 13 September 2012 - 16:50

So... If I happened to have hold of the IPSW file without being a developer, can I install it? And if so, how, without jailbreaking?

Yep, as long as it's the official GM.

#49 jbrooksuk

jbrooksuk

Beta meta.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 16:52

Yep, as long as it's the official GM.

Cough. Do I really need to restore back to a fresh 5.1.1?

#50 SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

• Phone: iPhone 6 Plus

Posted 13 September 2012 - 17:02

You just restore to iOS 6 by holding down Alt and pressing Restore in iTunes then choosing the file, I don't think it lets you without developer account and your device registered though as its verified.

#51 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 13 September 2012 - 17:05

You just restore to iOS 6 by holding down Alt and pressing Restore in iTunes then choosing the file, I don't think it lets you without developer account and your device registered though as its verified.

You don't have to be a dev to use the GM nor do you need to have your UDID registered

#52 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 September 2012 - 17:06

Hmm gonna check this out...

#53 jbrooksuk

jbrooksuk

Beta meta.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 17:27

Sweet. Almost downloaded.

#54 Bizkit

Bizkit

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 September 2012 - 20:56

Used iOS 6 all day today under my normal working conditions. The map app is WAY better then the Google one for one reason: built in turn-by-turn. Works great with Siri (I'm located in Arizona) and was never wrong and took me to my destination with pretty good speed (I used it on places I already knew how to get there to test). I like the full screen mode it puts you in, but I can see how some people would hate it.

All the other changes are really nice, but not big enough to remember. Overall makes an already solid os even better.

#55 OP Garry

Garry

CCNP & CISSP

Posted 13 September 2012 - 21:04

Really? Hmm... then why did I have my developer friend add my iPad to his UDID list :-P? And then there were all those sites popping up advertising to register you UDID for you for $15 or w/e. I guess all of that wasn't necessary?

Admitting, I never tried to install it on a device that did not have UDID registered as a developer device. But that is because all the information at the time said you had to have your device registered in order for Apple to activate.

I guess you'll just have to trust me :)

Nobody even tries to install iOS betas these days without first registering their UDID. Nobody wants a bricked device! But trust me on this one. For absolutely clarity I can't remember whether or not Beta 1 was UDID locked but the others certainly weren't.

#56 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google

Posted 13 September 2012 - 21:04

downloading the torrent now, should be done when I get home. Hopefully will run good on my 4s.

#57 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 13 September 2012 - 21:09

No, that article is a bunch of unnecessary steps. I just downloaded the firmware for my device and installed it in iTunes. It won't do an upgrade install, it has to be a full install followed by a restore of your backup. You'll have to wait for an upgrade installer next week. The whole "you have to install a fresh 5.1.1 in order to get it to work on non developer devices" is simply not true.

#58 OP Garry

Garry

CCNP & CISSP

Posted 13 September 2012 - 21:15

No, that article is a bunch of unnecessary steps. I just downloaded the firmware for my device and installed it in iTunes. It won't do an upgrade install, it has to be a full install followed by a restore of your backup. You'll have to wait for an upgrade installer next week. The whole "you have to install a fresh 5.1.1 in order to get it to work on non developer devices" is simply not true.

Just for clarity though, I'd like to point out that you can indeed do an upgrade install from an earlier beta - if you happen to be running one.

#59 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 13 September 2012 - 21:15

Apparently Amsterdam lost its Central Station, used by some 250.000 commuters each day, with iOS 6. It's incredibly poor how not even the train stations are being indicated on the map. Ironically some metro (subway) stations are, but carry a train symbol. As you can see below there's not a single tram or bus stop symbol to be found either.

Nice touch the turn-by-turn directions show blue signs though, which is the EU standard. In the first beta they were green which doesn't make much sense over here.

Attached Images

• photo.jpg

#60 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 13 September 2012 - 21:22

After using it today on my iPhone (I had the beta on my iPad for awhile) here are some things:

I Like:
* The way it handles Facebook contacts is nice and the way it should be done (by keeping them all separate but accessible).
* Finally I can set individual vibrations on incoming text messages per-contact. Excellent.
* Do not disturb and being able to auto-schedule-set do not disturb for late at night. Added bonus that contacts in your 'favorites' can still call you which is good for an emergency.
* Updating apps in App Store no longer requires me to enter my password which is a plus.

Things I'm not crazy about:
* Change to iTunes Match functionality. Now songs are streamed by default and in order to download a track you have to download the entire album or make a playlist with the tracks you want and download the whole playlist. I preferred the caching file by default method in iOS 5. I think iTunes Match is more of a hassle in iOS 6 than it was in iOS 5. In 5 I could just play music that I wanted to hear. In 6 I have to make the decision to stream or download the track.
* Most of the cosmetic changes are just oh-gee-whiz. And I really am disliking the blue status bar on some of the screens. The whole device is just overly blue now and I want to fix that but can't because no untethered jailbreak yet. Forgot how use to f.lux I am. Now I feel like I'm staring at a florescent bulb which is unpleasant.

Just for clarity though, I'd like to point out that you can indeed do an upgrade install from an earlier beta - if you happen to be running one.

What is the procedure for that? Thanks.