Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SuperJediMedia

Roku?

6 posts in this topic

Does Roku do anything that a computer, and Xbox 360, PS3 can't do?

Does it get an exclusive set of channels?

No one here owned it?

I myself don't own one, but have use one. With a Roku you can stream content from your fav channel such as Fox News, Pandora and such. You can add more channel from Roku's Channel Store. But do keep in mind that some channel like Netflex, Hulu, and Amazon require a monthly subscription. Though the Roku dose have a media sd slot your mileage my very when playing audio/video file. Thats pretty much it. One thing I do like about the Roku is that you can do all that from your couch.

You can do alot more with a PC/Laptop connected to a TV than a Roku, Xbox 360, or PS3. Other than playing game made exclusively for both 360 and PS3 of course...

Ive got the Roku LT, before I got an HDMI TV I used it all the time to stream from Plex Media Server on the PC and it was great

Now I can connect my PC directly, I rarely ever use it anymore

As above, PC can do 100x more than a Roku can, although Roku is probably more convenient if you are wanting to sit over on the sofa with a remote

If you buy a Roku, buy it as a bit of fun / gadget, don't expect it to replace anything

So like I thought all along, PC, Xbox 360, PS3 are better

So Roku is basically for people who don't have knowledge how to get Xbox 360, PS3, and PC to do the same thing, or does Roku have any exclusives?

So like I thought all along, PC, Xbox 360, PS3 are better

So Roku is basically for people who don't have knowledge how to get Xbox 360, PS3, and PC to do the same thing, or does Roku have any exclusives?

Can't think of any exclusives except it has a channel store, 90% of content/channels are old / religious / cheap / crap channels, very few are live, live channels are generally poor quality or crash/stop every few minutes

Good points: Plex channel.... maybe a couple of amusing channels until you have watched everything on them and they rarely get updated, wireless, hdmi

Bad points: Sound is tinny/distorted (As if the input is too loud for the amp) crap channels, adverts all over/in the middle of content being watched, hardly any live content, all old already seen videos from the net, sometimes freezes after a video from Plex finishes streaming forcing you to unplug the whole roku box because there is no reset button, forces you to add a Paypal account to activate the box/account whether or not you want to ever buy channels, No web browser, everything else

It's something that you have a load of fun with for a day or two, then slowly realise its actually a crappy browser that only allows you to add favourites to old already watched viral net videos and other things you could do much better from a PC