Anderson Silva vs. Stephan Bonnar

One day after UFC 153's top two fights fell out, two more took their place.

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva will step up to 205 pounds and meet veteran Stephan Bonnar in the main event of the Oct. 13 card at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.

The bout replaces the planned featherweight title bout between champion Jose Aldo Jr. and Frankie Edgar. Aldo had to pull out of the fight on Tuesday due to complications from injuries suffered in a recent motorcycle accident.

The new co-main event features a battle of Brazilian light heavyweights as Glover Teixeira (18-2) faces Fabio Maldonado (18-5). Maldonado replaces Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, who also had to pull out due to injury.

MMAFighting.com confirmed the bouts after an initial USA Today report.

Silva (32-4), who will celebrate his record sixth anniversary as middleweight champion the day after UFC 153, has twice stepped up and fought at 205 during his record streak of 15 consecutive UFC wins. Both were first-round knockouts, as he stopped James Irvin in July 2008, and took out former champ Forrest Griffin at UFC 101.

The world's top pound-for-pound fighter had previously stated that he was done competing at light heavyweight, but the opportunity to step up, save a show, and fight in front of his Brazilian fans was apparently too much to resist.

Bonnar (14-7), meanwhile, is most famous for his bout against Griffin in "The Ultimate Fighter 1" finale. While he's had his career ups and downs, Bonnar has won his past three fights.

Teixeira made an impressive company debut at UFC 146, when he stopped Kyle Kingsbury. While there were strong rumors on Wednesday that Thiago Silva would take Jackson's spot against Teixeira, the spot instead went to Maldonado, who was slated to meet Cyrille Diabate at UFC 154. Maldanado is 1-2 in UFC action, most recently coming out on the wrong end of a highly debatable decision against Igor Pokrajac on May 15.

WHAT THE **** IS THIS ****?

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I know they need a Brazilian main event to sell a Brazilian PPV but goddamn is this some bull**** last minute replacement. Bonnar last fought a year ago and has been considering retiring for a very long time. Should've booked Chad vs Edgar as co-main, Big Nog moved up to Main Event or keep that fight and move Machida in on short notice against Glover Teixeira. Teixeira vs Fabio Maldonado is not a bad fight per se, seeing how both guys like to bring it, but it would make for a much stronger card overall. And also spare us from Silva crushing Bonnar into bits in the first.

No kidding, who has a stream for this card? The UFC is spreading itself a tad bit thin I think.

The time difference is crazy. I would just watch it the next day (like I always do, no goddamn channel in PT carries the UFC anymore, unless we're talking about TUF re-runs from 2010).

The fight I really want to see is Jon Fitch vs Erick Silva. If this Silva wins, he's fighting for the WW title in late 2013 for sure. If he can get past Rory... and Kampmann... and Hendricks... and probably Ellenberger. Still, I'm seeing the UFC match Silva with Siyar Bahadurzada if he wins.

The time difference is crazy. I would just watch it the next day (like I always do, no goddamn channel in PT carries the UFC anymore, unless we're talking about TUF re-runs from 2010).

Youre right, forgot about the time difference.

The Universe would collapse unto itself if Bonnar somehow defeats Anderson Silva. You wouldn't even live to see his hand being raised, and neither would he. The question we should be asking and betting on is: how many pints will Bonnar lose before Anderson mercifully knocks him out? Oh lordie, a 5 round 50-45 blowout bleedfest would something else.

Also, watch this event for the Fitch fight. Erick Silva is a beast and will probably beat the brakes out of him. He has to win, because I want him to fight Siyar Bahadurzada.

Fitch vs Silva I hope will be a good fight and not fall into a typical Fitch fight. Also what if Bonnar lays on Silva all day like he did against Kingsbury? Never know, he is pretty tough. But then again so was Forrest.

Fitch vs Silva I hope will be a good fight and not fall into a typical Fitch fight. Also what if Bonnar lays on Silva all day like he did against Kingsbury? Never know, he is pretty tough. But then again so was Forrest.

Bonnar isn't even half the wrestler Sonne is. Not going to happen.

Bonnar isn't even half the wrestler Sonne is. Not going to happen.

I'm assuming 5 rounds for UFC main? Doesn't say. Also, Luiz Cane made it all the way down to a Camozzi fight lol

I'm assuming 5 rounds for UFC main? Doesn't say. Also, Luiz Cane made it all the way down to a Camozzi fight lol

Yes all main event fights are now 5 rounds, title fight or not.

Bonnar vs Silva is a 3 round fight.

Luiz Can? is right where he should be. I thought he was hilarious when he said he wanted to eventually be LHW champion after knocking out Eliot Marshall... at UFC 128, where Bones crushed Shogun, a much, much better fighter. He then drops to MW and loses his debut against a UFC newcomer. Facebook prelims is his new home... if he doesn't lose and get cut. Camozzi is as low tier as they get but he still can get things done.

Yes all main event fights are now 5 rounds, title fight or not.

Normally that is the case but according to bloodyelbow its just a 3 round main.

Bonnar vs Silva is a 3 round fight.

Luiz Can? is right where he should be. I thought he was hilarious when he said he wanted to eventually be LHW champion after knocking out Eliot Marshall... at UFC 128, where Bones crushed Shogun, a much, much better fighter. He then drops to MW and loses his debut against a UFC newcomer. Facebook prelims is his new home... if he doesn't lose and get cut. Camozzi is as low tier as they get but he still can get things done.

I'm actually calling Camozzi in this one. After that I see him getting cut soon.

Normally that is the case but according to bloodyelbow its just a 3 round main.

I'm actually calling Camozzi in this one. After that I see him getting cut soon.

He would be 2-2 in his second run but it was L-W-W-L. I think they'll let him at least lose 2 in a row before a cut. They always some need of warm bodies to fill Facebook prelims. He just needs to be exciting, either in losing or winning.

• 2 weeks later...