iTunes 11 UI

Apple has absolutely no interest in developing its applications to make full use of the Windows platform and established UI principles.

Wrong. I?ve heard a countless number of times : oh the new iPhone or iPod Touch is kinda cool??? but as long as it relies on iTunes, I?m not buying it.

Apple is losing market big time by not rolling out a proper iTunes version on Windows. It?s losing iPhone sales, iPod sales, music sales, application sales, and reputation.

Apple included the remove duplicate feature

Where is this on the Windows version of iTunes??

Every time I format my computer iTunes will duplicate all my songs for no reason.

Where is this on the Windows version of iTunes??

Every time I format my computer iTunes will duplicate all my songs for no reason.

If you just copy the iTunes folder in the Music Library it'll continue as if nothing happened. Worked for me every time.

Anyway, File --> Display Duplicates .. that'll show you all the ones it considers duplicates. It's not "smart", so don't just delete every second one, but it's a great place to work from if you need to.

I haven't used itunes since the first iphone. Does the new version watch folders (aka auto add music) ?

iTunes will watch the folder "Automatically add to iTunes" in the music library.

Apple is losing market big time by not rolling out a proper iTunes version on Windows. It?s losing iPhone sales, iPod sales, music sales, application sales, and reputation.

100% agreed. IMO many people just don't wanna buy an Apple iDevice because they will have to sync it via iTunes (on Windows). But the whole experience is 2000% times better on OSX so its time Apple showed them who is the boss.

100% agreed. IMO many people just don't wanna buy an Apple iDevice because they will have to sync it via iTunes (on Windows). But the whole experience is 2000% times better on OSX so its time Apple showed them who is the boss.

While I'm sure it's a factor, I don't think it's a significant one.

Apple's loss in market share comes from that fact that Android is finally starting to get up to par, when the iPhone came out, there was really no other choices. Few people are really swayed by the tools used to sync anymore.

Don't get me wrong iTunes isn't amazing on Windows.. but it's my main media player on Windows and MacOS, the Windows version isn't that bad. It's got a lot better over the last few years, and currently is more than useable, and if all you are doing is syncing your iPhone or iPod, then it's much better than some of the other options for other devices. [ not better than All, but several others I've used/seen other using.. ]

Why do you need iTunes at this point?

Wrong. I?ve heard a countless number of times : oh the new iPhone or iPod Touch is kinda cool??? but as long as it relies on iTunes, I?m not buying it.

You don't need iTunes anymore. Hell, I've moved over to my PC full-time now (in addition to my iPhone and iPad). Haven't needed iTunes once.

Yeah, its one of the main reasons I don't own any apple devices and don't use the itunes store. I refuse to even install itunes on my computer.

While I'm sure it's a factor, I don't think it's a significant one.

Agreed. The average user really couldn't care less. In fact I know countless people who don't sync their iPhone or iPad with their PC to begin with. They simply don't know how to don't care about learning how.

Why do you need iTunes at this point?

You don't need iTunes anymore. Hell, I've moved over to my PC full-time now (in addition to my iPhone and iPad). Haven't needed iTunes once.

Common knowledge is that you need iTunes. It?s also more of a hassle when you go for third-party solutions.

• Like 1

we can only hope that with all the changes that they are making that they will finally have better native windows support and make it perform better on windows systems as currently it runs VERY poorly on any windows based computer have i installed it on.

Blah. When I had to use Windows Media Player for Mac some years ago, it made me realize how good iTunes for Windows really is. I had issues with iTunes when it was first released for Windows. Those issues were mostly related to the fact that it didn't run well on systems with 256mb of ram and the first few versions really did run slow.

Now I have iTunes installed on 3 windows machines (a Pentium 4 with 1GB of ram being one of them) and I don't think it is half as bad as some of you go on and on about (maybe you guys are still suck on how bad iTunes 4 was). In any case I think you are being over dramatic about how bad iTunes is for Windows. Maybe for some reason it just runs fine on my machine and sucks on everyone elses. Or maybe you just don't know how to manage your Windows machine, have it bogged down with bloatware, and need to take it to someone who knows what they are doing with computers-and-stuff.....

we can only hope that with all the changes that they are making that they will finally have better native windows support and make it perform better on windows systems as currently it runs VERY poorly on any windows based computer have i installed it on.

Perfect example of being over dramatic. I bet it doesn't run half as bad as that. But whatever... would your opinion of it change at all if it instantly loaded up and used 0KB of memory? I doubt it. I bet the opinion of iTunes has more to do with Apple than anything objective.

• Like 2

Perfect example of being over dramatic. I bet it doesn't run half as bad as that. But whatever... would your opinion of it change at all if it instantly loaded up and used 0KB of memory? I doubt it. I bet the opinion of iTunes has more to do with Apple than anything objective.

Even if iTunes had the perfect Windows interface (whatever that is on Windows 8), launched instantly and performed brilliantly people would still complain:

• Why doesn't iTunes launch even more instantly?!
  • Apple are a bunch of douchebags for dropping Windows XP support!
  • The new Metro-styled icon is inconsistent with Windows Vista!
  • It's an outrage iTunes uses 5 MB of my 16 GB of memory! Obviously I installed 16 GB to have 15 GB sit idle 99,9% of the time!
  • Damn Apple for making iTunes a Metro app and dropping support for older Windows versions!
    Or alternatively, damn Apple for not making iTunes a Metro app!

Even if iTunes had the perfect Windows interface (whatever that is on Windows 8), launched instantly and performed brilliantly people would still complain:

• It's an outrage iTunes uses 5 MB of my 16 GB of memory! Obviously I installed 16 GB to have 15 GB sit idle 99,9% of the time!
  • Damn Apple for making iTunes a Metro app and dropping support for older Windows versions!

Why does iTunes have both a desktop and metro version, they should just pick one and focus :)

Regardless.. I've found the performance fine in windows for the last year or so..

Windows users are more about not having files and registry keys everywhere these days, and about having an interface that actually doesn?t look like an alien to the OS. Rewriting the whole thing to optimize it on Windows and stick in a more casual Windows interface would do the job for plenty of criticizers out there.

Windows users are more about not having files and registry keys everywhere these days, and about having an interface that actually doesn?t look like an alien to the OS. Rewriting the whole thing to optimize it on Windows and stick in a more casual Windows interface would do the job for plenty of criticizers out there.

Like I said: Maybe, just maybe, if Microsoft started setting the right example themselves on their own platform, third-party developers will follow. But the company couldn't care less.

I don't really get how people keep talking about this UI Redesign but only the one picture is ever shown off. Surely there are more than one view? Ways to access your music? I really don't see how this is that great a departure really (Unless all those usable bits are in fact gone... LOL).

Personally, I'd rather have better Windows performance than a new UI. No matter what system I run it on, iTunes is always one of the few apps that runs like absolute dog ****.