iTunes 11 UI

It feels the same to me on Windows. An unusual lag on launch even with an SSD. Is it possible to store the library on one drive and the media files on another whilst keeping it organized by iTunes all at the same time? I imagine it's because I have my library file on a standard HDD.

Everything else is the same.

I have to say though, scrolling thumbnails seems a bit slower but I didn't used to have them so small, therefore it displays more at once.

What does not native 64-bit mean? I am installing it on Win8 right now and it seems to be 64-bit.

The iTunes executable itself is still a 32-bit application, not a 64-bit application. Only the iPod-related stuff is 64-bit though.

Well, it certainly feels faster than iTunes 10.7.

The UI will take some getting used to (I never really could navigate iTunes very well, but granted, I've been using Zune as my default player for 3 years). Also, I'm glad that iTunes finally recognizes the media buttons on my keyboard, even when in the background. (That was one thing that was keeping me from using it as my primary player, as it couldn't recognize those buttons if it wasn't the focused window.)

I just don't understand why iTunes needs to generate an XML file for my music collection.

Well, it certainly feels faster than iTunes 10.7.

The UI will take some getting used to (I never really could navigate iTunes very well, but granted, I've been using Zune as my default player for 3 years). Also, I'm glad that iTunes finally recognizes the media buttons on my keyboard, even when in the background. (That was one thing that was keeping me from using it as my primary player, as it couldn't recognize those buttons if it wasn't the focused window.)

I just don't understand why iTunes needs to generate an XML file for my music collection.

It's easier for Apple to use XML rather than a proprietary format or a a database platform.

1. Cover Flow is gone

2. The LCD visualizer is gone

3. Album covers in the song list are gone.

4. Dark album grid background is gone.

What does not native 64-bit mean? I am installing it on Win8 right now and it seems to be 64-bit.

I believe just the installer is 64-bit. The actual executable is 32bit.

To be honest though: folks, we are talking about a music playing app here. 64-bit really wouldn't mean much in terms of anything that matters (like performance).

Can't try it out for myself at the moment, but how does the OS X version "feel"? Is it a real rewrite or basically iTunes 10 with a new interface stuck on top?

I can't tell for sure, don't know what signs to look for, but to me it feels like iTunes 10 with a new interface slapped on top of it. Same settings and edit dialogues and the list is still laggy, among other things.

What is this "increased iCloud support"? Does anyone know what the hell that means exactly?

Haven't received that error message about relogging into iTunes Store to get Match working again...but it was intermittent anyway so it is hard to tell if that bug has finally be squashed.

1. Cover Flow is gone

I'm actually disapointed that the LCD display is still there, with all the talk of them moving away from skeuomorphic design.

It's a total rewrite. :)

How do you know ? just because it's faster doesn't mean it's a rewrite, it just means they remade their ****ty UI layer i.e. interface.

1. Cover Flow is gone

I'm actually disapointed that the LCD display is still there, with all the talk of them moving away from skeuomorphic design.

I can't tell for sure, don't know what signs to look for, but to me it feels like iTunes 10 with a new interface slapped on top of it. Same settings and edit dialogues and the list is still laggy, among other things.

GTFO, that non-native Preferences window with the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons is still there?! :blink:

Can someone check iTunes' package contents on OS X, is iTunes.rsrc still what draws much of the interface?

GTFO, that non-native Preferences window with the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons is still there?! :blink:

Can someone check iTunes' package contents on OS X, is iTunes.rsrc still what draws much of the interface?

It still uses .rsrc files... Old thing, new coat...

Thats just freaking stupid! I can't believe that Apple did this!

Thats just freaking stupid! I can't believe that Apple did this!

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I was really hoping Apple would finally rewrite the iTunes interface and let the app shed its Mac OS 9 origins.

It's not a total rewrite - only the user interface has been rewritten.

Actually this shows the interface hasn't been rewritten at all, Apple merely altered it.

Is it possible to store the library on one drive and the media files on another whilst keeping it organized by iTunes all at the same time? I imagine it's because I have my library file on a standard HDD.

Easily done. I have my library on my C drive but all my media on D. In the preferences you can tell it where to store the media library.

Easily done. I have my library on my C drive but all my media on D. In the preferences you can tell it where to store the media library.

Thanks, managed to do it, didn't make any difference to load time though :)