itunes interface

• Please log in to reply
519 replies to this topic

#91 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 18 September 2012 - 19:59

Blah. When I had to use Windows Media Player for Mac some years ago, it made me realize how good iTunes for Windows really is. I had issues with iTunes when it was first released for Windows. Those issues were mostly related to the fact that it didn't run well on systems with 256mb of ram and the first few versions really did run slow.

Now I have iTunes installed on 3 windows machines (a Pentium 4 with 1GB of ram being one of them) and I don't think it is half as bad as some of you go on and on about (maybe you guys are still suck on how bad iTunes 4 was). In any case I think you are being over dramatic about how bad iTunes is for Windows. Maybe for some reason it just runs fine on my machine and sucks on everyone elses. Or maybe you just don't know how to manage your Windows machine, have it bogged down with bloatware, and need to take it to someone who knows what they are doing with computers-and-stuff.....

#92 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:03

I never had the honor of Windows Media Player for Mac actually playing content. It just crashed or on a good day spewed out an error.

#93 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:03

we can only hope that with all the changes that they are making that they will finally have better native windows support and make it perform better on windows systems as currently it runs VERY poorly on any windows based computer have i installed it on.

Perfect example of being over dramatic. I bet it doesn't run half as bad as that. But whatever... would your opinion of it change at all if it instantly loaded up and used 0KB of memory? I doubt it. I bet the opinion of iTunes has more to do with Apple than anything objective.

#94 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:14

Perfect example of being over dramatic. I bet it doesn't run half as bad as that. But whatever... would your opinion of it change at all if it instantly loaded up and used 0KB of memory? I doubt it. I bet the opinion of iTunes has more to do with Apple than anything objective.

Even if iTunes had the perfect Windows interface (whatever that is on Windows 8), launched instantly and performed brilliantly people would still complain:
  • Why doesn't iTunes launch even more instantly?!
  • Apple are a bunch of douchebags for dropping Windows XP support!
  • The new Metro-styled icon is inconsistent with Windows Vista!
  • It's an outrage iTunes uses 5 MB of my 16 GB of memory! Obviously I installed 16 GB to have 15 GB sit idle 99,9% of the time!
  • Damn Apple for making iTunes a Metro app and dropping support for older Windows versions!
    Or alternatively, damn Apple for not making iTunes a Metro app!

#95 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:47

Even if iTunes had the perfect Windows interface (whatever that is on Windows 8), launched instantly and performed brilliantly people would still complain:

• It's an outrage iTunes uses 5 MB of my 16 GB of memory! Obviously I installed 16 GB to have 15 GB sit idle 99,9% of the time!
  • Damn Apple for making iTunes a Metro app and dropping support for older Windows versions!

Why does iTunes have both a desktop and metro version, they should just pick one and focus :)

Regardless.. I've found the performance fine in windows for the last year or so..

#96 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:03

Windows users are more about not having files and registry keys everywhere these days, and about having an interface that actually doesn’t look like an alien to the OS. Rewriting the whole thing to optimize it on Windows and stick in a more casual Windows interface would do the job for plenty of criticizers out there.

#97 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:23

i only use Itunes to get apps and update the ipad. for music i use AIMP and for movies I used VLC. Other than that I rather not use it. It seems to mess up my music structure or files when I use it.

#98 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:54

Windows users are more about not having files and registry keys everywhere these days, and about having an interface that actually doesn’t look like an alien to the OS. Rewriting the whole thing to optimize it on Windows and stick in a more casual Windows interface would do the job for plenty of criticizers out there.

Like I said: Maybe, just maybe, if Microsoft started setting the right example themselves on their own platform, third-party developers will follow. But the company couldn't care less.

#99 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:59

I don't really get how people keep talking about this UI Redesign but only the one picture is ever shown off. Surely there are more than one view? Ways to access your music? I really don't see how this is that great a departure really (Unless all those usable bits are in fact gone... LOL).

#100 bjoswald

bjoswald

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Aria

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:02

Personally, I'd rather have better Windows performance than a new UI. No matter what system I run it on, iTunes is always one of the few apps that runs like absolute dog ****.

#101 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:03

I don't really get how people keep talking about this UI Redesign but only the one picture is ever shown off.

I don't really get why it's so hard to visit apple.com/itunes for more information and screen shots.

#102 cybertimber2008

cybertimber2008

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:14

I don't really get why it's so hard to visit apple.com/itunes for more information and screen shots.

I'm currently seeing screenshots of 10.7 there. 11 doesn't have the left hand side navigation.

#103 dr_crabman

dr_crabman

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:14

Like I said: Maybe, just maybe, if Microsoft started setting the right example themselves on their own platform, third-party developers will follow. But the company couldn't care less.

iTunes is one of the worst applications when it comes to installing a ton of additional services and cluttering my autostart. You can try to shift the blame away from Apple as much as you like but it's not MS' fault, there really is no excuse.

I'm currently seeing screenshots of 10.7 there. 11 doesn't have the left hand side navigation.

http://www.apple.com...nes/new-itunes/ is the correct URL.

#104 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:54

Here's a few more screenshots from the presentation.
Apparently a sidebar showing all of your playlists will automatically slide in from the right when you start dragging items.

I hope you can still switch between several view modes for individual playlists...and that the column browser is still there. I just might stay with 10.7 otherwise.

Attached Images

• artist.jpg
  • songs.jpg
  • playlists.jpg
  • modifyplaylist.jpg
  • draganddrop.jpg
  • miniplayer.jpg
  • miniplayerupnext.jpg
  • search.jpg

#105 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 21 September 2012 - 13:17

The page I linked you to has a big rectangle on it pointing you towards another page dedicated to the new iTunes. Are you simply being very lazy here or purposely being difficult?

iTunes is one of the worst applications when it comes to installing a ton of additional services and cluttering my autostart. You can try to shift the blame away from Apple as much as you like but it's not MS' fault, there really is no excuse.

Where did I shift away the blame for those additional services? Nowhere. Please don't put words in my mouth. I was talking about the non-standard interfaces and major inconsistencies Microsoft themselves are constantly guilty of. All I'm saying is: If Microsoft put some effort into this area and made clean ship others will follow.

Here's a few more screenshots from the presentation.

Looks really nice and clean. (Y) I hope does some nifty animations too.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!