Photo

My Boss's HD is Dying, Any Way To Clone & Boot?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Steffan

Steffan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Note 3

Posted 14 September 2012 - 16:21

You can always use ImageX which is Microsoft's cmd line imaging tool. Its part of the WAIK.

#17 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Knight and King of the Great Hell Village

• Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 14 September 2012 - 17:47

Macrium Reflect Free is the way to go. After having cloned the HDD to a disk image on an external drive, your boss will need to burn a Linux-based restore CD from within Macrium and then restore the disk image on the new HDD.

Oh, and before the cloning/dumping process I'd let Spinrite perform some of its tricks on the failing HDD, just to be sure that the data will be fully readable by Macrium.

#18 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 14 September 2012 - 20:46

@ Budman - I think he said he purchased a Seagate drive from Best Buy, I did not purchase the drive for him and this is all pretty much outside of the work place. But pretty sure he said Seagate. So that should include something in the box he can use?

As far as having to boot into Linux or what have you, trying to keep this as simple as possible for him. He knows his way around a computer, but not sure if he has ever touched Linux to be honest. Unlike a lot of you, I do not work in the IT department. :laugh: So while those options may be the best, most thorough options, keeping it a Windows based solution (he is on 7) that is as simple as possible is the preferred method.

Thanks again all. (Y)

Budman's suggestion should be the easiest method. All it requires is one reboot for the cloning process and a shutdown to remove the old hard drive.

#19 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 14 September 2012 - 21:08

Budman's suggestion should be the easiest method. All it requires is one reboot for the cloning process and a shutdown to remove the old hard drive.

Yep, just got home and wanted to say thanks again to everyone, and thanks in particular Budman. This is indeed the method he is going to try as it does seem to be the most user friendly overall.
If I hear from him with a text over the weekend I will report back how it went, if not I will on Monday when I am back in the office.
Thanks again for all the replies. (Y)

#20 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 17 September 2012 - 13:11

Just an update, my Boss followed Budman's instructions and said things could not have been easier doing so. Thanks again all. (Y)

#21 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 107
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 13:33

Good to hear, this is great time to MAKE SURE that critical files are backed up. Its one thing to not want to have to reinstall from scratch, etc. And its another thing to loose say kids 3rd birthday party blowing out candles on his cake, or your grandkids first steps on video, etc..

All things fail - disks can die without notice. He was lucky this time, but make sure those non replaceable videos and pictures are BACKED UP!!!

You can always reinstall an OS, worse case software can always be repurchased -- but you can never get back family pictures and or videos. Please make sure these kinds 0f files are safe, multiple disks, multiple media, multiple locations!

Never a better time to go over this, when there has been a scare of of loss.