CDE (Common Desktop Enviroment) released for Arch Linux

https://aur.archlinu...es.php?ID=62776

Get it with: yaourt -S cdesktopenv

Gonna give it a go now and see how it runs! :D

EDIT: OK, needs 'x86_64' added to hosts in PKGBUILD if you want to build it on a 64-bit host, took about 20 minutes to build and needed ncompress (AUR) to build but can be removed after, doesn't appear in the GDM WM list though :(

Edited by n_K

Not going to bash a Desktop GUI, but I must admit- from seeing the screenshots on Sourceforge, it threw me back to my old Amiga days. :) Not to say that if I was running Arch Linux for something lightweight or no frills, I would consider using it for general purposes.

Not going to bash a Desktop GUI, but I must admit- from seeing the screenshots on Sourceforge, it threw me back to my old Amiga days. :) Not to say that if I was running Arch Linux for something lightweight or no frills, I would consider using it for general purposes.

They used it at my university (2002-2007) and I hated it :/

I came came across their SourceForge page a few weeks ago and saw the screenshots. It seems hard to believe something so archaic-looking is still being actively developed today. It might be fun to use for a little bit, but I couldn't imagine using it in an everyday environment.

Seriously? I mean, this is from the early 90's. The world has moved on. I guess it's only useful for novelty purposes, like using TWM (shudders).

It's nice to have the choice nay?

Seriously? I mean, this is from the early 90's. The world has moved on. I guess it's only useful for novelty purposes, like using TWM (shudders).

Fluxbox is pretty basic, you ever tried running it on a raspberry pi? It's almost suicide.

This, on the other hand, IS PERFECT!

From what I've read the CDE (Common Desktop Enviroment) developers are from an alternate universe where the digital revolution occurred about twenty years later than ours. This is a great breakthrough for them guys!