Is it just me?

This is probably due to the fact it has to run on many different types of hardware and manufacturers don't take the time to modify/optimize Android for their specific hardware .

Getting an optimized rom did wonders for my galaxy nexus.

It's not a good thing you have to rely on custom roms to get the best Android experience.

I have a love/hate relationship with custom ROMs. Stock ROMs tend to be more stable but very slow. Custom ROMs tend to be a bit faster and have more features (and less garbage) but tend to crash much more often.

Same thing is true with custom Windows Phone ROMs. I got my dad an original Samsung Focus because it was so cheap (less than $100! in brand new condition!) and as everyone knows AT&T and Samsung have been very crappy about bringing updates to the Focus devices. It seemed to have been an original batch of the Focus that got stored on a shelf somewhere after being returned. It still had the original WP7 RTM ROM. I thought the easiest way to get it to WP7.8 and add a few nice features (Nokia Drive, full unlock) was to use a custom ROM. Everything looked good, all the comments at XDA were raving how the ROM is so great.

I install the custom ROM and all is good for 2 or so days then the crashing starts. It started crashing so much. Like open people hub and crash and reboot. That's why I hate custom ROMs.

I reverted it to the stock ROM and updated it as far as it would go through Zune then finished it up with manually pushing CABs over and it's rock solid. Luckily with Windows Phone I can just uninstall all the bloatware apps and because it's unlockable through an exploit I manually pushed the Nokia Drive XAP. Couldn't be happier with a <$100 phone.

I used to flash a new ROM every few days back in the Windows Mobile days up to my Desire Z days with Android but I've honestly gotten sick of it. The 9 months I used WP7 from October 2011 to July 2012 I didn't have to flash a single ROM on my phone. It ran perfectly. Then I got my Galaxy Note and oh god. LAG. SO MUCH LAG with the stock AT&T ROM. It was unbearable. Even going to the home screen lagged like nuts. So I install CM9 on it, but that obviously has its issues. I haven't had a rock solid CM build since CM5 on my Nexus One. That's the only phone I've had with an uptime greater than 1.5 weeks. It ran for 33 days before a buggy GPS app brought it down. Windows Phone 7 easily reached that multiple times during the 9 months I used it.

Yeah , you do have to pick the right rom. Problem is, there are so many of them out there.

Pick one that is well established and don't use nightlies and you should be ok.

I'm very happy with the rom I use atm. It's stable, fast and has all the extra features I need.

Yeah , you do have to pick the right rom. Problem is, there are so many of them out there.

depends on the phone/tablet

for the big name devices the two good ones that most know about are Cyanogenmod and AOKP