Peanut butter and jelly sandwich confiscated

That's essentially what you did with your daughter.

Awesome to see personal attacks on the forum. This thread has nothing to do with my daughter.

The amount of people saying "Why" is just sad. Some people can't even smell nuts without going into shock and that's why. The bans get lifted now and then if there isn't anyone allergic to nuts at the schools.

This sets up an expectation from the parents and the kids as they grow up that everyone has to make accomodations for them. Do these kids think they can go into a grocery store that sells bulk PB that you can grind yourself to remove it just because of their allergy?

• Like 2

Awesome to see personal attacks on the forum. This thread has nothing to do with my daughter.

It has to do with you being a hypocrite.

This sets up an expectation from the parents and the kids as they grow up that everyone has to make accomodations for them. Do these kids think they can go into a grocery store that sells bulk PB that you can grind yourself to remove it just because of their allergy?

You can shop elsewhere.

It has to do with you being a hypocrite.

Another personal attack. Your two for two bj55555. I think I'm more of a bigot though. But call me a hypocrite if it makes you feel better about yourself. Doesn't bother me a bit. Just shows how ignorant you truly are.

Where were all these kids in my elementary school of 700, my middle school of 1000 or my high school of 3000? Not to mention my college of 2500 as well. Never once saw someone have major issues in the cafeteria with peanuts. If really 1/25 people has these, surely I would have run across someone, right?

Here's a story to those that think its the parents fault and responsibility if a kid has a allergic reaction and what happens when not banning Peanut butter involves careless people.

I happen to be one of those with a severe peanut allergy. But as I grew up in the 80s/90s it was fairly unknown back then. I was around 5 years old and in a private preschool. My mother made it perfectly clear to the officials at the school and my teacher that my allergy was potentially deadly. My teacher thought it would be fun to make bird feeders out of pine cones and she assumed that it would be fine to coat the pine cones in peanut butter for the bird seed to stick to because I wasn't eating it so it should be fine. Well, I didn't want to get in trouble for not doing the assignment, so I proceed to rub peanut butter all over the cone. But, my eye started itching and after I had wiped my hands off I rubbed it. Within 5 mins the whole side of my head was completely swollen it had doubled in size and I could no longer open my eye. I spent the rest of the day in the hospital. From then on my allergy got worse to include the smell. I could not be in a any size room with peanut butter again because the faint smell of it made it hard to breathe.

So that's my mothers fault? Or a lack of a ban on the use of any peanut products? Now if I deserved to be cast out by myself as an outsider and in turn hurt my self-esteem and personality because I was "not" normal just so the other kids could eat whatever they wanted then sure that won't be a big deal. You go right ahead and eat your PB sandwiches..

So the school bans peanut butter in order to protect some students with allergies - that sounds fair enough to me.

Children can still eat peanut butter at home, or anywhere outside of the school.

The reason why you just ban it outright in schools, but don't see that as an adult is because they are Children.. by definition, not responsible..

One of the elementary schools around here back in the day banned nuts after a kid decided it would be fun to try and make someone he knew was allergic to nuts eat some peanutbutter.. In highschool there were still people whacking the chalk wiper thingies together to make dust in the faces of people sensitive to it..

When you are out in the working world, that's not gonna happen, or gonna get you jailtime and being fired. But in school your too immature to really understand all the consequences..

It's better to be safe than sorry, your kids don't need to eat peanutbutter at school..

People mentioned some of the special needs children who may *only* eat peanut butter and jelly or whatever, they are a separate case.. and generally aren't with the rest of the students anyway.. but for the normal ones, then a ban is fine.

And I should say, I've been in work places with the ban too, and lots of places are starting the sent free ban in the workplace also..

Another personal attack. Your two for two bj55555. I think I'm more of a bigot though. But call me a hypocrite if it makes you feel better about yourself. Doesn't bother me a bit. Just shows how ignorant you truly are.

You flippantly compare a school's decision to ban peanut butter to wrapping kids up in a plastic bubble when there have been real cases of kids dying in school from reactions to peanuts.

Yet you pull your daughter out of school and into home-schooling because the school has the audacity to teach your daughter how her pee-pee works. You didn't even bother to see what was going to be taught before you pulled the plug. You just assumed it was going to conflict with whatever your wife's nurse-level understanding of the reproductive system is. Do you really think your daughter's going to DIE if she learns what her vagina is for when taught by the school instead of your wife?

You think protecting your daughter's morality or whatever the **** you think is at risk by taking a sex ed class warrants wrapping her in a plastic bubble but not when another kid's life is at stake.

THAT's being a ****ing hypocrite.

Well there's been a growing trend of students who are allergic to teachers. but you don't see teacher's banned at school now do you?

What am I talking about? Many a male student have become obviously allergic to female teachers. Parts of the anatomy have been know to swell to well over 10 times it's normal size in the mere presence of the teacher. Now if the teacher had to pickup the dry eraser off the floor the swelling can be come very uncomfortable. :shifty:

You flippantly compare a school's decision to ban peanut butter to wrapping kids up in a plastic bubble when there have been real cases of kids dying in school from reactions to peanuts.

Yet you pull your daughter out of school and into home-schooling because the school has the audacity to teach your daughter how her pee-pee works. You didn't even bother to see what was going to be taught before you pulled the plug. You just assumed it was going to conflict with whatever your wife's nurse-level understanding of the reproductive system is. Do you really think your daughter's going to DIE if she learns what her vagina is for when taught by the school instead of your wife?

You think protecting your daughter's morality or whatever the **** you think is at risk by taking a sex ed class warrants wrapping her in a plastic bubble but not when another kid's life is at stake.

THAT's being a ****ing hypocrite.

My post in this thread was a joke. But you are getting more and more out of hand. Personal attacks. I think you need your head checked. Because something is severely wrong with you.

This is rediculous, send the kids over to the UK, we don't eat that crap over here :D

I can honestly say, and I speak for most of the people I know here (friends in the UK i mean), that the concept of a PB&J sandwich is wrong on so many levels lol.

How do you know some little asshat won't try to give peanut products to an allergic kid or smear it on him/her or spike his/her food with it when turned away?

Controlling it is the responsible thing to do.

there are schools already in the US inspecting kids lunches to force them to eat USDA lunches at school.

http://www.naturalnews.com/034979_food_police_sack_lunches_schoolchildren.html

I can honestly say, and I speak for most of the people I know here (friends in the UK i mean), that the concept of a PB&J sandwich is wrong on so many levels lol.

Jelly (in American) = jam/marmalade, right?

Incidentally, peanut butter + banana on a couple of slices of good quality wholemeal bread...well, now that's a sandwich!

It is the same thing as a bee sting for some. My son has an epi-pen there at the school in case some retarded parent gives there kid a peanut product and they just happen to touch my son. someone touched him one time that just had a peanut product and he swelled up and had issues breathing. so big deal?

I said I wouldn't have thought it to be a big issue. Thought. Past tense. ;)

My post in this thread was a joke. But you are getting more and more out of hand. Personal attacks. I think you need your head checked. Because something is severely wrong with you.

I find it amusing you think that you can make yourself "the better man" by responding like this.

On Topic: The reason they're banning peanut butter is because peanut allergies are the most common. If lactose-intolerance was so common and people could even be affected by just being touched by milk, then you would see the school banning milk.

As someone said in this thread, this policy is likely due to previous lawsuits where dumb parents decide it's the school's fault for the child having an allergic reaction. The school has to protect itself somehow or else they're going to run out of money from lawsuits.

I love peanut butter, reading this makes me want some on toast right now lol.. Sadly the school has to follow these rules as if, and I know how stupid this sounds but if someone has peanut butter and a bit fulls out and somehow gets into another kids food, when they put it down on the table or something, yep this kid then you get sick or die, then the school is the one that gets nailed to the wall and charged crazy amounts of cash.. That being said, they school can hardly say, don't bring kids in with problems like this as we don't to deal with the outcome.. Oh the joys of life

• Like 1

I've seen someones throat close up and their skin break out in a rash just from touching someones hands who earlier handled a peanut product. So in my opinion this ban is fully justified.

Nut allergies are no joke and for people that are allergic it is a lot more serious than other allergies like cheese and dairy. Just breathing in the air around peanuts can cause a sever and life threatening reaction.

If you need an example of just how dangerous nuts can be look at the labels of some foods that are produced in a factory where peanuts are processed they put a warning on the label even if the food itself doesn't contain nuts as an ingredient.

• Like 1