Photo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#1 kevpan815

kevpan815

Apple Developer Program + Ubuntu Tester

• Phone: Apple IPhone 5 Running IOS 6.1 Beta 3!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:51

The Catch 22 is that you have to Pay Full Price (Month to Month) in order to do so! After a $649.99 16 GB White IPhone 5 Pre-Order + $99 for Apple Care Plus + Approx $50 for State of IL Sales Tax the Total Cost of the Apple IPhone 5 is almost a Whopping $800.00! Just FYI.

#2 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:13

$650 mobile phone. Apple are a bunch of psychos! What a colossal ripoff.

#3 Tech Star

Tech Star

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:21

$650 mobile phone. Apple are a bunch of psychos! What a colossal ripoff.

I don't know under what rock you have been hiding, but that is about the general price for all unsubsidized phones with no contracts.

The Galaxy S3 no contract price is $600.

http://www.latinospo...ne-compares.htm

#4 Brandon

Brandon

Neowin RUNNER

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:24

Is it really worth 2.5x a Galaxy Nexus? Didn't think so.

#5 CentralDogma

CentralDogma

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:59

Is it really worth 2.5x a Galaxy Nexus? Didn't think so.

Galaxy Nexus cost $650 at launch too.

It's an industry-wide problem, specifically with the telecoms.

#6 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:01

I wonder why Apple decided to not do simultaneous voice/data with the CDMA/LTE iPhone? That seems kind of stupid.

#7 mk1990

mk1990

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iphone 5

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:03

Pre-ordered iPhone 5 with no lock in contracts through my provider for a whopping $168 for a black 64gb :) happy days

Now where can I prepare my purchase for a nice case and screen protector for it?

#8 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:20

I don't know under what rock you have been hiding, but that is about the general price for all unsubsidized phones with no contracts.

The Galaxy S3 no contract price is $600.

http://www.latinospo...ne-compares.htm

I was in Bulgaria. And if you pay more for a something to make phone calls than for a laptop, you need your head examined.

#9 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:21

I wonder why Apple decided to not do simultaneous voice/data with the CDMA/LTE iPhone? That seems kind of stupid.

They went cheap on the antenna. Like they don't make enough on the phones already . . .

#10 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:23

God forbid paying full price for anything these days. You really think that these high end phones are 'free' or '$100'? They are subsidised.

#11 I am Reid

I am Reid

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:02

God forbid paying full price for anything these days. You really think that these high end phones are 'free' or '$100'? They are subsidised.

Indeed

Its been known for awhile now that verizon was going to move away from their unlimited data plan to a limited shared plan. Which is why most people should have used up their upgrades in the spring before the switch happened. If you had done it then you had the choice to keep the old plan or move onto the new shared plans. Which are a horrible deal compared to the old plans. My plan, which has unlimited data is only $64 after my work discount. The most basic and lowest priced "new" plan is $100 a month. The diference being the new plan has unlimited talk(which i would never use) vs Unlimited data on the old plan(which i do use). So if i sign a new contract i basically am paying $40 a month more just so i can have a data limit to worry about, just so i can get a new phone at a cheaper price.

So, $40 more a month for 24 months for the plan alone is $960. So now we are pushing a minimum of $1,000 more in total cost just to upgrade your phone because you need to use the new plan. Thats just in the plan, this is before you add in the price of the phone you are buying with its lower cost of $200-300 more. So now you are up over $1,200 in extra cost for the lifetime of the contract because you wanted the phone at a lower upfront cost.

Or, i can continue to pay my $64 a month plan on my old contract with no extra fees or data limits and buy my phone straight up for $600-700. So you are paying nearly twice as much just to upgrade your phone by signing a new contract, and thats the bare minimum contract at that. Now you also have an extremely low data limit to worry about as well. Now i understand that most dont get a deal on their plan like i do, but plenty of people get some sort of discount through work, and even then most plans are only around the $100 mark as is on the old plans, but those are without a data limit.

#12 OP kevpan815

kevpan815

Posted 15 September 2012 - 16:40

For your guys information: I am NOT up for Renewal for a new 2 year contract with Verizon for both my IPhone 4S and my Verizon 4G LTE USB Modem until 2013 at the earliest. I should also NOTE that this Pre-Order was directly from Apple.com so I do NOT like all of the NEGATIVE COMMENTS like YOU JUST GOT RAPED and so on. I should also NOTE that Verizon is a WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN AT&T at Cell Phone RECEPTION as I PREVIOUSLY HAD AT&T and My Mom previously had Sprint (Her Company Work Phone) and both of their services were horrible! Just FYI!

#13 SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

• Phone: iPhone 6 Plus

Posted 15 September 2012 - 16:50

Pre-ordered iPhone 5 with no lock in contracts through my provider for a whopping $168 for a black 64gb :) happy days

Now where can I prepare my purchase for a nice case and screen protector for it?

$168 for 64gb iPhone 5 unlocked how?? ooo!

#14 OP kevpan815

kevpan815

Posted 15 September 2012 - 16:55

P.S. I also am Low Income and would NOT be able to afford my Cell Phone Bill if I added another Line to my Existing Service. As it is: I had to Apply for No Payments for 6 Months Financing though Bill Me Later DOT Com in order to even afford this Verizon Wireless Apple IPhone 5 by the way! Just FYI!

#15 hjf288

hjf288

Korean Crazy Man!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 16:59

http://www.anandtech...e-svdo-support-

P.S. I also am Low Income and would NOT be able to afford my Cell Phone Bill if I added another Line to my Existing Service. As it is: I had to Apply for No Payments for 6 Months Financing though Bill Me Later DOT Com in order to even afford this Verizon Wireless Apple IPhone 5 by the way! Just FYI!

And if you are that poor why would you blow that much money that you can't really afford?