Cops set up cameras ... to watch their cameras

PALMER PARK, MD - Many people find speed cameras frustrating, and some in the region are taking their rage out on the cameras themselves.

But now there's a new solution: cameras to watch the cameras.

One is already in place, and Prince George's County Police Maj. Robert V. Liberati hopes to have up to a dozen more before the end of the year.

"It's not worth going to jail over a $40 ticket or an arson or destruction of property charge," says Liberati.

Liberati is the Commander of the Automated Enforcement Section, which covers speed and red-light cameras.

Since April, six people have damaged speed cameras.

On April 6, someone pulled a gun out and shot a camera on the 11400 block of Duley Station Road near U.S. 301 in Upper Marlboro, Md.

Two weeks later, a speed camera was flipped over at 500 Harry S. Truman Drive, near Prince George's Community College. Police believe several people were involved because of the weight of the camera itself.

Then in May, someone walked up to a camera on Brightseat Road near FedEx Field, cut off one of the four legs, and left.

"I guess that makes a statement, but we were able to just attach another leg," says Liberati.

But when someone burned down a speed camera on Race Track Road near Bowie State College on July 3, Liberati and his colleagues began to rethink their strategy.

"It costs us $30,000 to $100,000 to replace a camera. That's a significant loss in the program. Plus it also takes a camera off the street that operates and slows people down. So there's a loss of safety for the community," says Liberati

The Prince George's County Police Department decided it needed to catch the vandals, or at least deter them.

"The roads are choked, there are lots of drivers on them. I think traffic itself is the cause of frustration (towards speed cameras). But, we have a duty to make the roads safe, even if takes a couple extra minutes to get to your destination. Unfortunately, that's the Washington area, the place we live in," says Liberati.

Speed cameras themselves can't be used for security because under Maryland law speed cameras can only take pictures of speeding, says Liberati.

"We've taken the additional step of marking our cameras to let people know that there is surveillance."

Liberati says the cameras aren't a case of Big Brother nor a cash grab, police are simply trying to keep the public safe from reckless drivers.

source

Wow, spend even more money to install a camera to watch the speed camera... I suspect that there is going to be a rash of new speeding tickers being issued at these locations...

What's even more funny is, the speed cameras are probably not even property of the municipality or police dept. They are owned/operated and billed through a 3rd party Traffic Camera vendor/clearing house.

I feel that if people do not follow the posted speed limits or other laws of the road, or any laws, then first offense should be that their license be taken away for six months to a year. If after that, they are caught driiving without a license, one year in the county jail and/or 5 years probation.

I have zero tolerance for people who break the law. Last year I assaulted someone over an issue that I won't go into, but since I am retired/disabled from the Marine Corps, I got a slap on the wrist. Was my first offense ever, but I should have gotten a lot more then what I did.

People who vandalize these cameras need to pay the price and be charged for willful destruction of private property and be sent to jail plus charged for the cost to replace them.

I hear ya but personally I've always found speeding tickets a trifle silly. It's just another tax.

Really? Speeders kill more than 200 people each year. Is that aceptable?

I hear ya but personally I've always found speeding tickets a trifle silly. It's just another tax.

Speeding cameras are generally placed in high accident areas and are a preventive tool, not a ticket tool. The new average speed cameras should be better for this even

People are going to get killed regardless of how many regulations and safety precautions you take. Besides, if only 200 people die each year from speeders, that seems a very low number compared with the number of cars on the road and the number of hours people drive.

actually. When speed limits where put in place they did almost nothing. I think crashes actually went up.

Look at the autobahn.

I don't know why, but I got this funny image of both camera shutters pointed at each other when I first saw the title. Then, I got the image of like when you put a camera up to your TV and put the feed back to it, endless camera loop (same can be done with mirrors).

As far as the speed cams, we have them here, but not in such a matter as described there, two police vans parked in random locations (Often favor a few and you see them almost weekly in some spots), and that is it. Then, two sets of Red Light intersection cameras.

What's even more funny is, the speed cameras are probably not even property of the municipality or police dept. They are owned/operated and billed through a 3rd party Traffic Camera vendor/clearing house.

No matter what it is the tax payers who will end up paying for everything. These devices are not giving you tickets for for going 38 in a 35. The usually start giving you tickets 10 over the speed limit ( In MD). It is a cheaper ticket than getting one from a cop. It is only 40$. Pay it and move on. The places I see them are mostly in residential areas and in school areas.

actually. When speed limits where put in place they did almost nothing. I think crashes actually went up.

Look at the autobahn.

That is a different driving culture than in the USA. See my comment below. I lived in Germany for several years and drove on it.

The Autobahn is something entirely different. Well, maybe not. I know next to nothing about the Autobahn.

It is just a cement highway just like here but tiny differences. Like people actually understand the left lane is for the fastest cars. Large trucks can only go in the Right lane and finally getting a license in germany costs several thousand dollars (USD) and at least 14 weeks of schooling and training. It is taken seriously.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/texas-approves-85-mph-speed-limits/

I'll wait, raising the speed limit, Most of texas has 80mph speed limits for most of their highways, when you goto wisconsin, lower population in general. They speed limit is 60mph is some areas, no higher at all in all areas. It makes no sense. I think there should be seasonal speedlimits due to weather and such. But the rest is bs.

I personally love the concept of the autobahn. I think Americans should get different classes of licenses also. Depending on how much training you've done.