Interesting network issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tom

Tom

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 September 2012 - 16:19

Hi there,

so I asked a friend for help with this issue but he doesn't seem to know either and thus I'm posting here (I'm sorry, it's not that I don't love you).

I have a desktop PC with a USB Wireless dongle that gives it the ability to pick up Wi-Fi networks. I have recently moved but at the house previous this worked fine and was able to connect to the router without problems. Now that I have moved, I'm coming across all sorts of problems. Essentially the problem is a connection between the desktop PC and the router. At present the desktop isn't picking up any available networks when my laptop picks up five and is only about a meter away from it. When it actually connects it's only about a 2 minute wait until it dies again. I am upstairs and the router is a floor below me although that shouldn't matter. If the laptop connects, I don't understand why the desktop doesn't.

Does anyone have any ideas?

#2 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 35

Posted 17 September 2012 - 16:25

update your drivers. try putting the wireless usb dongle in a different port (if it is in the back switch it to the front or vice versa). If you can, get a usb extender and extend that to where your laptop is to get the same area where your laptop gets signal.

Could also be a defective usb dongle...just because one minute it works doesn't mean it is going to work the next.

#3 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 16:29

Just because 1 wireless device connects does not mean another can.

Lets see, just some off the top reasons why one device could connect an another might not.

N network on 5.0ghz, device running G or only supports 2.4
Network setup for G only, device is only B
Any sort of strange combination of the above.
Network is WPA2, device does not support WPA2
Network is WPA/WPA2 AES, devices only supports WPA tkip.
Mac Filtering on the Wireless AP/Router
User does not know the PSK/WEP, or not putting it in correctly - ie supplicant does not convert say ascii key to hex correctly. Try using the actual KEY!
Problems with security settings on router/ap that client just doesn't like on that hardware vs its - compatibility issues, etc.
etc.. etc.. etc..

happy to help but your going to have to give some actual details to work with.

What router, what clients? What supplicant - built in from maker of the usb dongle? What encryption set, is it N,G,B,A,AC are we on 2.4 or 5? etc.. etc..

And as sc302 stated - maybe the dongle died? Can the dongle connect to any other wireless networks without issue?

#4 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 September 2012 - 16:29

+sc302 Beat me to it. :D

Did you re-setup the router? Restore the most up to date firmware and reconfigure everything. The settings from your previous house probably don't like your current connection.

#5 worfking

worfking

dirty old man

Posted 17 September 2012 - 16:35

could be the router is in a spot that doesnt like your PC connection. move it a few inches and see what happens.

#6 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 23 September 2012 - 13:11

also now your in a new area, have a look at surrounding wifi hotspots etc and make sure your not fighting with another router setup (ideally pick channels that do not overlap others of the same channel/power). InSSIDer is a decent enough tool to check the wifi landscape in your new location. If you arnt you can them move onto other possible causes.

http://www.metageek....ducts/inssider/

#7 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 23 September 2012 - 13:42

Try changing wireless channels in the router ^^