Critical zero-day bug in Internet Explorer under active attack

IE9 has the smallest chrome of all browsers by default. What are you talking about?

IE9 takes up less vertical screen space than Google Chrome... and I would guess all other browsers. It's about as minimalist as it gets. And IE9 does it without messing up Aero Snap like Google Chrome does [Try grabbing a full screen Google Chrome window with lots of tabs, and pulling the title bar down to unminimize it].

If you can't figure out how to A) not install toolbars, or B) uninstall any accidentally installed toolbars... that's your own fault.

IE10 (same as 9) vs Firefox with all the controls visible.

IE10.png

FF.png

IE10.png

FF.png

Wait, so you've altered the IE10 settings to make the chrome larger by having tabs on their own row, and you've altered the Firefox settings to compact everything, and you've concluded that the custom Firefox layout takes up less space?

Well, duuhhh!

Wait, so you've altered the IE10 settings to make the chrome larger by having tabs on their own row, and you've altered the Firefox settings to compact everything, and you've concluded that the custom Firefox layout takes up less space?

Well, duuhhh!

and he didn't include the tab bar on Firefox.

If only one tab is open you can hide it. Why would someone not hide it so you can see more content?

You can't do that on IE.

so your general browser usage involves just one tab?

I do see your point, though, when it comes to you being able to compact everything on Firefox if you want to. To each his own. We're going way off topic here.

IE10.png

FF.png

IE9 has the smallest chrome of all browsers by default. What are you talking about?

(snip)

I could reduce Opera to just the titlebar, modify the menu setups and have a semi-usable browser with almost no chrome.

That still doesn't counter the point made by those two guys about default chrome. In other words, what the overwhelming majority of users see when presented with a new browser.

Interestingly, Firefox might be the chunkiest considering it displays the bookmarks toolbar by default. IE, Chrome, and Opera don't.

German Government: Stay Away From Internet Explorer

The German government is warning citizens against using Microsoft's Internet Explorer, because of a security hole in the browser which is currently being exploited by hackers.

The security flaw, which affects Windows XP, Vista and 7, was made known to the public over the weekend. When IE users on these operating systems click a malicious web link, they can open their computers to hackers.

The flaw has affected hundreds of millions of IE users around the world and has yet to be fixed.

"A fast spreading of the code has to be feared," said the German government in a statement. The German Federal Office for Information Security recommended that IE users switch to an alternative browser until Microsoft released a complete fix, according to Reuters.

Microsoft, for its part, offered a toolkit Monday night intended to serve as a stopgap measure until a complete patch is made available.

http://news.yahoo.co...-030212984.html

Look what I can do but what's the point? It's not usable. That what you are all failing to comprehend.

Uh...You are just being foolish about this whole thing. That is not how Firefox (or IE or others) ships by default. IE9 is perfectly usable by default and has the smallest chrome by default. It doesn't matter that you don't like the default layout because that's not the point. You made an invalid point and I called you out on it (quoted below).

Not really. I use plenty of up to date software. Just not MS ones. The IE7,8 and 9 layout is horrendous in my opinion. Toolbars and such take up too much real estate.

Anyways, IE is the most targeted browser. I wouldn't use it if I liked it.

The bold part above is entirely inaccurate. If you decide to change and bloat the UI, it's not the fault of the browser.

With regard to IE10 not being affected, while it is obviously nice to see progressive security improvements being made, it is also disappointing that the latest generally available version of IE is vulnerable. Then again, they've come a long way since 2002, when it would be every other day that you'd see some sort of new exploit released...

Regarding usage, it has been several years since Firefox transitioned to the Awesome Bar and Vista and Tiger brought OS-wide search and launch bars. Do people still stick with clicking on tiny 16x16 px icons in their bookmarks bar rather than type the first two or three letters of the site name into the address bar of their browser in order to navigate?

With regard to IE10 not being affected, while it is obviously nice to see progressive security improvements being made, it is also disappointing that the latest generally available version of IE is vulnerable. Then again, they've come a long way since 2002, when it would be every other day that you'd see some sort of new exploit released...

Regarding usage, it has been several years since Firefox transitioned to the Awesome Bar and Vista and Tiger brought OS-wide search and launch bars. Do people still stick with clicking on tiny 16x16 px icons in their bookmarks bar rather than type the first two or three letters of the site name into the address bar of their browser in order to navigate?

It would drive me nuts having to search for a favorite, that's one reason I don't like how windows 8 is layed out... I put them into a clickable menu or bar for a reason, extreamly fast access, not click search, type, hope it shows up click... just click