Photo

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#46 Farstrider

Farstrider

The Clash

• 6,311 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:26

"Shots Fired!!"....OK Send in the unarmed Officers.

Another one of your "jokes"?

#47 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:30

huh?

Exactly my point.

Another one of your "jokes"?

Apparently u don't understand sarcasm...oh wait maybe you do.

#48 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:36

Exactly my point.

Apparently u don't understand sarcasm...oh wait maybe you do.

WTF are you babbling about?

#49 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:45

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-19635239

:(

Sad news indeed. But I'm sorry Tom, your avatar just isn't suited for this post. With that said, I feel very sad that this happened.

#50 Farstrider

Farstrider

The Clash

• 6,311 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:46

WTF are you babbling about?

I was going to ask the same question, but this person, really... I just don't know... the post is so contradictory but he does not seem to be cognisant of the fact!

#51 SongHyeonDeok

SongHyeonDeok

Lightning in a bottle.

• 353 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:13

Oh look a sad news story turned into a UK versus USA ****ing contest... I've never seen one of these before.

#52 OP Tom

Tom

Neowinian Senior

• 3,275 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 23:21

And the majority of those are killed by legal gun owners? I'd like someone to point me to statistics that say that. There are none..

I have a few people on FB that keep me aware of goings on in manchester. It helps me cut through all the B.S about how everyone in the U.K is safe.

Get the hell out of this thread please. I live in Manchester and can tell you that you're talking utter nonsense. To bring your gun agenda in here after this incident is not only disrespectful but shows how you try to throw your own uneducated political views at people, no matter the circumstance.

Also just a quick FYI, 84 police officers in the US have been killed in 2012. 40% have been the result of guns. If we compare that to the last ten years in the UK, 22 have been killed. 27% have been a result of guns. Now get your gun agenda the hell out of this topic thanks.

#53 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,023 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 18 September 2012 - 23:24

"Shots Fired!!"....OK Send in the unarmed Officers.

Surprisingly enough that's not how the UK police force operates. Personally I'm glad that our police aren't armed, as I always feel uncomfortable when I go abroad and see police officers walking around with handguns / machine guns. Neither the public nor the police themselves want the majority of our police to be armed and it's a policy that has been extremely successful - very few police officers have been killed on active duty. In the past ten years there were three years where no police officers were killed on duty and the rest of the time you're looking at between 2-3 a year on average.

Another interesting statistic is the number of people killed by law enforcement agents in the UK compared with the US. According to those lists just one person was killed in the UK by police and a criminal proceeding is under way against the officer involved; in the US there were three-hundred-and-two people killed and usually no action is taken against the officers. [Those numbers don't take into account deaths in police custody, so numbers rise for both countries when they are factored in - in the US that's about 700 per year, in the UK it's around 40.] Most of the deaths in the US were the result of police officers carrying weapons. When you factor in all these statistics you start to realise why people in the UK feel so much safer than in the US and that's despite the fact that the US has the highest incarceration level in the world - you'd think with so many people locked up in the US it would be a really safe country.

#54 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 18 September 2012 - 23:41

^ Where I think you have the most intelligent response to my post, I still disagree with not having guns for police. I respect your POV. Thank you for having intelligence to realize that I was saying how stupid it was for Unarmed cops to be going toward gun fire. I feel for their deaths but it could have been avoided. Standard procedure with shots fired is to wait for back up Especially if you don't have a weapon. Again I think you Sir for your ability to think abstractly and express your thoughts in such an astute way.

But on a cultural note. The USA is nothing like the culture in the UK in some respects. UK seems to have that similarity somewhat with Japan. No guns. Well criminals still have guns and people get shot. Police have to have guns at some point otherwise criminals will ruin everything.

#55 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,023 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 19 September 2012 - 00:04

Thank you for having intelligence to realize that I was saying how stupid it was for Unarmed cops to be going toward gun fire. I feel for their deaths but it could have been avoided. Standard procedure with shots fired is to wait for back up Especially if you don't have a weapon

If you're talking about this incident then according to this article they were responding to a call about a burglary, which was fabricated to bring police officers to the property. There is no mention of shots being fired before they were sent in. The address was unknown to the police, so there was no reason to suspect foul play. It was once they were inside that they were fired upon and a grenade was detonated. Unarmed police officers aren't sent to deal with firearms related offences - for that firearms units are deployed. Unless you've seen a different report or I've misread it?

#56 Farstrider

Farstrider

The Clash

• 6,311 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 00:24

^Yes, according to the BBC:

Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Sir Peter Fahy said someone had made a call alleging a burglary had been committed and when the officers arrived they were attacked with a gun and a grenade. He said: "We believe he has made the call, or somebody else has made the call, and it would appear for the purposes of drawing these two officers to that particular scene, and then he has come out and shot and killed them both.

So, NO reports of ANY gunfire prior to the fatal incident! Common sense dictates that you do not send unarmed officers to a possible crime scene where gunfire/shots have been fired!

#57 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,287 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 00:28

Get the hell out of this thread please. I live in Manchester and can tell you that you're talking utter nonsense. To bring your gun agenda in here after this incident is not only disrespectful but shows how you try to throw your own uneducated political views at people, no matter the circumstance.

Also just a quick FYI, 84 police officers in the US have been killed in 2012. 40% have been the result of guns. If we compare that to the last ten years in the UK, 22 have been killed. 27% have been a result of guns. Now get your gun agenda the hell out of this topic thanks.

Yeah sure, maybe when you all stop sticking your nose in everything to do with the U.S then maybe i'll listen but until then nope. If you don't like my opinion tough. This is an international forum i've been told so I'm allowed to have an opinion.

#58 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,740 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 00:28

UK seems to have that similarity somewhat with Japan.

Except, Japan doesn't have quite so many chavs.

To the fool who claimed that no copper had been killed since 1967 ... (statistically improbable and kindly disproved by Floating Fatman) ever heard of Yvonne Fletcher?

It is true what theyarecomingforyou says about armed police officers, when I was on holiday in Paris with the wife in 2005, there were police in Montmartre armed with machine guns! It was more than a little unnerving. A week after we left, the Paris riots broke out, however, so perhaps they got a chance to use them.

#59 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,287 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 00:31

Except, Japan doesn't have quite so many chavs.

To the fool who claimed that no copper had been killed since 1967 ... (statistically improbable and kindly disproved by Floating Fatman) ever heard of Yvonne Fletcher?

It is true what theyarecomingforyou says about armed police officers, when I was on holiday in Paris with the wife in 2005, there were police in Montmartre armed with machine guns! It was more than a little unnerving. A week after we left, the Paris riots broke out, however, so perhaps they got a chance to use them.

Only if you're not use to it. It wouldn't bother me. Guns aren't scary to me so.

#60 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 00:32

Very sad news. My condolences.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!