#1 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:50

Ok guys i finally decided on my first SSD

http://www.ebuyer.co...t-mz-7pc128n-eu

now i run Fedora for now and wonder what do i need to do to make my SSd run and wear as it should

do i just install as normal partition as normal and thats it working out the box

or do i have to do anything different?

Thanks

#2 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 21 September 2012 - 21:07

The Arch Wiki has an excellent guide on SSD optimization that I highly recommend that you read. Although I primarily run Debian, most of the information directly applied to Wheezy, and I suspect that you also won't have any problems in Fedora. Just remember that Fedora uses a different package management system and no longer uses rc-style init.

Since the most important part of SSD optimization is the file system and mount options, let me know if you want me to post a copy of my fstab.

#3 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 23 September 2012 - 17:42

noatime is critical for ssd's, in fact I use it on all my mechanical drives as well. It reduces wear and tear quite a bit because the file system won't write to disk when you access a file, which is does without that flag. It means don't record the file access time.

I'd also recommend against a swap partition on it if you have enough memory. Again this reduces the number of writes.

I use the profile-sync-daemon as well to speed up my browser's cache by using tmpfs, which can also reduce writing out to the disk, and is excellent for mechanical drives.