Photo

How much are you willing to pay for an RT tablet?

win rt tablets

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#31 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 19 September 2012 - 20:46

$500-$750/RT depending on spec.

$1800+/Pro

#32 44MLX

44MLX

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 19 September 2012 - 20:50

What is RT?

#33 ShMaunder

ShMaunder

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 19 September 2012 - 20:52

I assume the RT is the under-powered version? If so then nothing. They won't last long - can't imagine the heaps of e-waste this under powered tablet craze is going to produce in a short space of time.

If the Pro version has decent specs and can be used as a laptop (both as in will last 5+ years and can be dual booted) then £750/~$900 - though I don't currently need the mobile functionality of this device so wouldn't buy anyway.

#34 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 September 2012 - 20:56

The upper limit of a low end 10" would be $450. Ideally I'd like to get a decent RT surface for under or at $600.

#35 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 19 September 2012 - 21:01

What is RT?

Win RT is the ARM Version of Windows 8, which is metro only and you can't run regular desktop programs on it... only Metro apps and MS Office.

#36 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 September 2012 - 21:16

For the RT, $2-300 then add accessories (keyboard etc). Think if the base tablet is anything over $300 then it won't be a winner.
The Pro version somewhere around $5-600, again anything above that and it won't sell much (except maybe to corporations).
If RT comes in at $199-299 then I'll get one (plus say another $50 on the keyboard). If it's above that I'll just stick with the 3 tablets I've already got (maybe purchase the new kindle 8.9 instead)

#37 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 September 2012 - 21:50

RT will have to be in the price range of it's competitors. So like <$300. Anyone paying more than that is in over the odds.

If they can get the proper version at near iPad pricing they'll make an absolute killing.

#38 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 September 2012 - 23:25

200-300 for the RT version and 600 for the Pro.

I will pay up to 400 if there is a killer media app released for the RT version that blows any android media players out of the water.

Sounds about right. I already have a Samsung tablet that does almost every thing I need. It would have to be something awesome from MS with an awesome price to get me to switch.

#39 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 19 September 2012 - 23:36

No more than $400, even then i'd be questioning if i'd get it...
My "sweet spot" would be the $200 mark.

That's in AUD too.

#40 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:19

From what I am reading here, none of you think that WindowsRT-based tablets - any of them - are worth the markup that the iPad has been commanding, even when the specs (except the display) are better.

Can you PLEASE explain that line of thought to me?

#41 UseLess

UseLess

Neowinian

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:29

For a standard formfactor RT device (like the iPad) as to be in the same price range as the current devices - in America that seems to be about high 300's, up to $500 (what muppets are saying no more than $300 -.-)

For fancy, or otherwise innovative RT devices, like flippy or foldy (yes, that's a real word now), a little more is possibly reasonable.

The Pro versions you would have to expect something between the RT version and a fully-fledged laptop...not counting bundled software (ahem office 2013 - people forget this thing used to cost hundreds! at least in oz...)

@Growled - yes, I think something that will make you switch will have to be awesome, but I want it because it will "play nice" with the "windows family".

@Raa - $200...in aus...what's wrong with you mate?! You can barely get the Galaxy ONE for that price!!

@PGHammer - Apple commands massive markups because well...of fanpeople (gender-sensitive =P). People pay $600+ for a device that costs $200 to make - MS/OEMs are fighting uphill on this one...

#42 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:30

From what I am reading here, none of you think that WindowsRT-based tablets - any of them - are worth the markup that the iPad has been commanding, even when the specs (except the display) are better.

Can you PLEASE explain that line of thought to me?

Because the OS is more restricted then regular windows 8 is, and also in order to compete with the ipad the price will have to be significantly lower due to ipad's dominating position.

#43 0nyX

0nyX

Posting from Apple //c

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:34

RT i dont care.If i did i would have a tablet already, but for me anyone who pays above 300$ for that, is money down the drain.
Waiting for Pro and if Microsoft wants us to replace laptop with their new Surface, they better be on a lower or at least similar price to same specs laptops coz otherwise i'll just go for an ultrabook.

#44 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:46

$199 (without keyboard)

#45 kevpan815

kevpan815

Apple Developer Program + Ubuntu Tester

• Phone: Apple IPhone 5 Running IOS 6.1 Beta 3!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:36

No Plans on buying one, very satisfied with my existing Tablet.