• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sweetleaf

sweetleaf

Neowinian

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:47

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL (i have seen people say these dont work with this board but the ASUS QVL says it does)

CORSAIR HX Series HX750

EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB

Please let me know what you guys think. The video card will get upgraded later and the cpu will be replaced with a Core I7 Ivy Bridge at a later date.

#2 CronicHazel

CronicHazel

Neowinian

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:48

Your PSU is immensely overpowered, a 500W+ PSU should be fine =)

EDIT: Okay, nvm, I didn't see your tidbit at the end... but if it's going to be a single GPU, 750 still might be too much though

#3 OP sweetleaf

sweetleaf

Neowinian

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:50

Dont want to have to replace the PSU when i upgrade the video cards and i will be runing SLI when i do upgrade.

#4 devBrian

devBrian

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:51

Can you choose an ATI 7850 instead? Uses very little power, it's EXTREMELY overclockable, and 2x7850s = droolworthy.

#5 OP sweetleaf

sweetleaf

Neowinian

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:53

Can you choose an ATI 7850 instead? Uses very little power, it's EXTREMELY overclockable, and 2x7850s = droolworthy.

Two of those are out of my price range atm but will look at them in the next few weeks when i upgrade the video cards.

#6 watchthisspace

watchthisspace

Cheese Grator

• Phone: iPhone

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:40

Are you going to be heavily overclocking at all? If not, why not save yourself some money and get a cheaper motherboard? The AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 will be a okay.

Also, the I5-3570k will be great and I can't recommend upgrading to an i7 because the price for the extra performance is too great.

PSU looks good.

GPU, have you got money for a GTX660 Ti instead?

#7 +PeterUK

PeterUK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 19 September 2012 - 16:10

You have gone for a lot of high end stuff all but the video card which another in SLi when you upgrade will not help.

Do you really need 16GB of RAM now? Why not get 2x4GB for 8GB now?
Motherboard is great but for the cost limiting your pick for a high end video card in your budget is not worth it a ASUS P8Z77-V LK will do SLi.

#8 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 19 September 2012 - 16:15

I like what you've built and your future plans. If I may say, you can't go wrong with an nVidia GTX 670.

#9 abysal

abysal

Neowin Addict

• Phone: BB9930/SGS5

Posted 19 September 2012 - 16:17

Component-wise that is a good build. However it maybe over-kill or under powered depending on desired usage.

#10 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 19 September 2012 - 16:17

I wouldn't get that motherboard. It's overboard and way overpriced. As mentioned above, I'd also suggest the ASUS P8Z77-V LK. I have that mobo using SLI and it works great. Take the money you saved and put it towards a new GPU. The GTX 660 would be a good one. Also, there's probably no need to upgrade to an i7 in the future. The difference between the i5 and i7 really isn't that much.

#11 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 19 September 2012 - 16:20

The 550Ti is a turd, and the K series is for overclocking.

And if this is for basic computer usage, it's overkill.

#12 BillyJack

BillyJack

Neowinian

Posted 19 September 2012 - 16:54

Your PSU is immensely overpowered, a 500W+ PSU should be fine =)

EDIT: Okay, nvm, I didn't see your tidbit at the end... but if it's going to be a single GPU, 750 still might be too much though

Not true. Power supplies are more efficient when running around 50% capacity. So if your PC requires 350 watts on average then you would run 700 watts which is efficient. This will also give you leeway if you needed more watts. Just because the power supply is 750 watts does not mean it is burning 750 watts. The wattage is what it is capable of. The power supplies wattage decreases as the power supplies life time so having a larger power supply will also ensure that it outputs what you need for a longer period of time. I can't remember the source but this is what I have researched and read in the past. I have included some links I found today. The best power supply is Sea Sonic and Corsair HX series which are made by Sea Sonic. The power supply is an important piece of hardware. You have picked a great power supply.

http://extreme.outer...culatorlite.jsp
http://forums.anandt...ad.php?t=157628
http://www.energysta...entPowerSup.pdf
http://www.plugloads...erSupplies.aspx

#13 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 19 September 2012 - 16:58

Well, the Corsair TX line, too. It's the same as the HX, just not modular.

#14 OP sweetleaf

sweetleaf

Neowinian

Posted 19 September 2012 - 21:58

Are you going to be heavily overclocking at all? If not, why not save yourself some money and get a cheaper motherboard? The AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 will be a okay.

Also, the I5-3570k will be great and I can't recommend upgrading to an i7 because the price for the extra performance is too great.

PSU looks good.

GPU, have you got money for a GTX660 Ti instead?

Yes i will be overclocking as much as possible.

Component-wise that is a good build. However it maybe over-kill or under powered depending on desired usage.

Gaming Rig and video editing that is the reason for the 16gigs of ram.

And thanks for letting me know i don't need to upgrade to the I7.

#15 watchthisspace

watchthisspace

Cheese Grator

• Phone: iPhone

Posted 20 September 2012 - 00:14

Yes i will be overclocking as much as possible.

I hope you're investing in a good water cooling set up. Ivy Bridge chips run very hot when overclocked. A lot when compared to Sandy Bridge.