New PS3 Slim announced

Surprised I wasn't beaten to this, quiet around here these days :p

gaming_ps3_super_slim_3.jpg

Sony has officially announced the super slim PS3.

Unveiled at a pre-Tokyo Game Show conference, the heavily rumoured console is 25% smaller and 20% lighter than the current model.

Two versions of the new slim system will be made available in Europe; a 12GB SSD version retailing at ?229 (?185) and a 500GB model for ?299 (?241).

The 500GB will be available from September 28, while the 12GB flash system launches on October 12.

North America will receive 250GB and 500GB models, launching on September 25 and October 30 respectively. The 250GB model will cost $269 and comes bundled with Uncharted 3: Game of the Year Edition, while the 500GB will retail for $299.

Japanese consumers will be able to purchase an exclusive white Super Slim PS3, which launches on October 4.

> FIFA 13 super slim PS3 bundle announced

The first rumours of a more compact PS3 emerged after documents that Sony filed with the Federal Communications Commission appeared to show a smaller, slimmer iteration of the console.

First rumoured for gamescom, details and images of the console, which features a sliding panel housing a top-loading disc drive, appeared earlier this year.

A Tokyo Game Show announcement was expected after a Polish website spotted anadvertisement earlier this week.

Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a406788/ps3-super-slim-announced-by-sony-at-tokyo-game-show-pictures.html

VBKp5.jpg

ibsVcKX3gO4yFp.jpg

ikUKWWE4oAjs3.jpg

iDblBldpNSotC.gif

iSOKNIpSiNSAM.gif

Surprised I wasn't beaten to this, quiet around here these days :p

It was on the main front page article 17 hours ago!

http://www.neowin.ne...ion-3-announced

I expected you to post it first though. :shiftyninja:

Not a massive fan of the sliding top, reminds me of the PS1. I'm sure someone would mod it to have a clear plexi top so you can see the disc spinning.

It was on the main front page article 17 hours ago!

http://www.neowin.ne...ion-3-announced

I expected you to post it first though. :shiftyninja:

Not a massive fan of the sliding top, reminds me of the PS1. I'm sure someone would mod it to have a clear plexi top so you can see the disc spinning.

I don't read the main page much, comments on there seem to be worse than the forums :p

I prefer slot loading too, the above looks 'cool', but if they had given me that design with slot loading I'd of been all over it. The dimensions of the current slim really are weird. I guess it's all to do with fitting the components in and making sure airflow is okay. The really slim PS2s had to go with top loading.

Technology refinement in general continues to amaze though, it is interesting to see something go from this size to the current size

ikUKWWE4oAjs3.jpg

OMG, this means my other half was right. She sat there the other day going, yeah there is a PS3 with an opening top. I was quickly like "LULWUT?!".

.... Damn!

Either way, me no like the look of this one.

Probably get one for the lounge room.

Pricing for those in Aus:

The console will be available on September 27, with the 500GB model retailing at $399.95, while the 12GB version is on-sale at the cheaper price of $299.95. Australia will not be receiving the 250GB model.

Both the charcoal black and classic white colours will be available at launch, and EB seem pretty quick on the ball ? it?s already offering trade in prices and bundles with the new console.

I assume you can upgrade a 12GB version with a larger internal HDD? For the extra $100 I could buy a 1TB HDD and drop it in.

Ugly as sin. The fat ps3 looks so majestic and powerful (on its side at least) but the slim and slimmer ps3 just look cheep as hell to me.

Maybe if they keep the shininess of the fat it wouldn't look so bad.

I don't understand why sony made the slimmer ps3 sku's cost more. With it being this late in the game, I would have thought they would want to make it cheaper. Why would anyone want to buy this over a

a not so slim ps3 (other then the eventual unavailability down the line)?

I myself have been pondering buying a new ps3 (old fat was stolen years ago Q.Q) but I think i'll just by a used one. No point spending extra for smaller and less attractive.

I was sold until I saw the slot loading disc tray.... ew.

I felt exactly the same way. That flap makes it look really really cheap.

And it would be really annoying if you have it buried inside an entertainment center.

Many ps3 games require an install to play, and they decide to make a model without a HDD.

Oh sony, you don't think much do you?

I'm sorry, I must be confused. Where does it say it won't have a hard drive?

I believe in Europe they are releasing two models 12GB flash and a 500GB HDD model. Source

Though if previous models are anything to go by, you'll be able to install your own drive.

This smaller version may swing me to buy a PS3, may wait until Christmas and see, hopefully, more bundles being released.

It's on the 3rd and 4th line, where it mentions the 12GB of flash for a european model. Which is nearly useless with as many games that need an install.

I can't blame you for missing it though, if you use darkside. Since soooooooo many damn people around here are too damn lazy to fix the formatting when they post.

So from what I can tell, the PS3 has actually gotten more expensive in the US with this new model. Makes me wonder at what price they're willing to se the PS4 at, especially with it's much newer technology.

On the design itself, it's not my favourite looking machine, though I've never been much taken with the curved design the PS3 had going on.

It's on the 3rd and 4th line, where it mentions the 12GB of flash for a european model. Which is nearly useless with as many games that need an install.

I can't blame you for missing it though, if you use darkside. Since soooooooo many damn people around here are too damn lazy to fix the formatting when they post.

Thanks! My bad. I read that as 120GB. Clearly I need glasses! :)

You know some Kid wants one because well he told his Mom it is sonys new console and is better then his current so she will go out buy one then the kid be disappointing it is the same just smaller . No point in buying anything right now till Wii U is out

I'll reserve judgement until i actually see one, but my first thought was "cheap", as in, build quality. That sliding door design looks horrible, but I'm sure they've saved a few Yen by not needing any motors to open a tray or pull a disk in and out. And that's what it's all about - saving a few cents on every unit. Sony and PS3 used to have an air of class around them. You pay more, but you get a better product. Not anymore, it seems.

I'll reserve judgement until i actually see one, but my first thought was "cheap", as in, build quality. That sliding door design looks horrible, but I'm sure they've saved a few Yen by not needing any motors to open a tray or pull a disk in and out. And that's what it's all about - saving a few cents on every unit. Sony and PS3 used to have an air of class around them. You pay more, but you get a better product. Not anymore, it seems.

The majority didn't want to spend $599 :p Ken Kutaragis model of throwing everything in an expensive box simply can't be sustained for consoles, Sony hurt badly early gen with their console price, even when the competition had crazily expensive accessories, the base price made the PS3 look bad.

This is without a doubt aimed at the casual crowd who don't own a PS3, all of us are simply sitting here pondering whether or not to replace our current PS3s. They've made it cheaper, made a new model which creates a buzz, and will watch sales like a hawk. If it's not moving enough towards Christmas a price cut will be easily done now that manufacturing is cheaper.

The majority didn't want to spend $599 :p Ken Kutaragis model of throwing everything in an expensive box simply can't be sustained for consoles, Sony hurt badly early gen with their console price, even when the competition had crazily expensive accessories, the base price made the PS3 look bad.

This is without a doubt aimed at the casual crowd who don't own a PS3, all of us are simply sitting here pondering whether or not to replace our current PS3s. They've made it cheaper, made a new model which creates a buzz, and will watch sales like a hawk. If it's not moving enough towards Christmas a price cut will be easily done now that manufacturing is cheaper.

the issue tho is it is the same inside as what your current PS3 has so the only change is the size of the system nothing more